Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing landlord during tenancy

Hi

A tenant of my Mothers is giving her some grief and so I'd like to take over as landlord and deal with things to spare her the hassle.

The tenant is 3 months into a 6 month AST.

Can I just write to him informing him that I have taken over management of the flats and issue him a section 8 as he is now 2 months late with rent? Does my Mother have to write / sign anything?

I want all future correspondance to be between just me and him to leave my Mother out of the loop.

Regards
    ATD

I would think that your Mother needs to write to T, giving you authority to act as her agent stating that all future dealings regarding any aspect of the tenancy are to be directly through yourself. Keep a copy for your records.

Once this has been issued (posted or given to T) then you carry on as if you were the LL. However, I believe that Court Papers still have to have the LL signature not the Agents.
    Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

OK thanks, will get the letter out.

Regards
      ATD

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dogs
        by ash72
        The good thing is they have asked you prior to getting one, so the decision is yours. If you do decide then I would suggest you increase rent to compensate for your loss in the future.
        05-12-2021, 17:21 PM
      • Dogs
        by Bridge2020
        My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
        05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
      • Reply to Been living in my own BTL...
        by ash72
        I would first of all see if the lender you currently have your BTL if they do any residential mortgages, simply looking on their website, if they do then this may be good news as they may transfer you over onto a residential mortgage. If they don't then you need to speak with a mortgage broker who can...
        05-12-2021, 17:19 PM
      • Been living in my own BTL...
        by eshjie
        I have only just realized the pickle I have got myself into. And would like some advice.

In Jan/Feb 2021 I split up with my long term partner and moved out. My flat (which I lived in originally) which was previously let out to a tennant was empty and so I moved back in as I had nowhere...
        05-12-2021, 14:57 PM
        by boletus
        Speak to an independent mortgage broker before doing anything.

It's an unintentional mistake.

The Hunter blacklist is mainly used to frighten the children.
        05-12-2021, 16:49 PM
      • Reply to Dogs
        by jpkeates
        I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
        You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
        05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
        by jpkeates
        The lender won't repossess initially.
        If they're unhappy, they'll "ask" for the mortgage to be repaid, they'll only repossess if you can't repay the mortgage.

There's a risk you'll be blacklisted anyway.
        05-12-2021, 16:16 PM
      • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
        by jpkeates
        Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
        You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
        And, you're right, don't renew it.

To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

If the tenant doesn't owe...
        05-12-2021, 16:13 PM
      • STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
        by Noisette
        Hello, I'm hoping to clarify a few points with landlords who've had experience of non-payment of rent and Section 8 notice. Background: We emigrated in 2007. UK house sale fell through, but we've had good tenants under an STA renewed annually since 2012. In summer 2020, they had difficulties paying...
        05-12-2021, 13:59 PM
        by eshjie
        Thanks for the reply. Yeah this sounds like the right thing to do.

Thankfully I have enough in investments to pay off this property (flat) otherwise I'd be really panicking. Worse case it they tried to repo i could cash eveything out and pay to keep the property.

Really don't...
        05-12-2021, 16:12 PM
      Working...
      X