problems with utilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems with utilities

I recently terminated the contract of a tenant for a variety of reasons including very late payments. He eventually left after apparently not having paid most of the utilities and not leaving a forwarding address. Since then The property has been plagued with mail chasing payment and visits by bailiffs.leaving messages because the house is empty. I have written at least 2 letters to all of these people but this seems to have been disregarded. I am now in the process of ringing them all suggesting an address where I think they may find him.Is there something I could do in future should this situation occur again.Also, can the bailiffs enter the house if noone is there and worse still if a new tenant is in residence

Originally posted by mrraybarton View Post
    I recently terminated the contract of a tenant for a variety of reasons including very late payments. He eventually left after apparently not having paid most of the utilities and not leaving a forwarding address. Since then The property has been plagued with mail chasing payment and visits by bailiffs.leaving messages because the house is empty. I have written at least 2 letters to all of these people but this seems to have been disregarded. I am now in the process of ringing them all suggesting an address where I think they may find him.Is there something I could do in future should this situation occur again.Also, can the bailiffs enter the house if noone is there and worse still if a new tenant is in residence
    A bailiff can not enter a property unless appointed by a court.
    If you have new tenants in place, just advise them to send any mail back marked 'Moved', these agencies will get the message after they receive a few back, although may take some time.
    If they come knocking on the door, all a new tenant will have to do is show them some form of I.D to say they are not the person they are looking for.
    That should be the end of the matter.

It is a sign of the times that we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
      A bailiff can not enter a property unless appointed by a court.
      The exception being Gas representatives, who can force entry regardless. This power is only intended to be used in the event of an emergency, but I am aware of people I know personally arriving home from work one day to find their home has been entered by their gas supplier, and their meter removed for non payment.

Comment

Originally posted by timbstoke View Post
        The exception being Gas representatives, who can force entry regardless. This power is only intended to be used in the event of an emergency, but I am aware of people I know personally arriving home from work one day to find their home has been entered by their gas supplier, and their meter removed for non payment.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Presumably tenants in such a situation could sue the gas board for trespass/unjustified forcible entry etc. Would they get much ?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X