PLEASE HELP: Notice Period of 60 days

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    As an aside, in a house we look after, the owner paid for laminated flooring on both the ground floor and first floor of a traditional 2 up 2 down.

    A contractor visited a week after the tenants moved in and found a score mark by the front door in the living room, through the dining room (no hallway) and into the kitchen. It turns out they dragged their freezer through the house and it had a damaged base with a metal burr sticking out!

    six months later the living and dining room lights developed a fault in the wiring, which meant the first floor floorboards (now with a laminate covering) needed to be lifted. The laminate flooring was damaged even though lifted with care and the owner said to replace with carpets. The tenants objected saying it was laminate when they moved in and that is what they want. The landlord had no option but to replace the laminate - but he's never using laminate again!
    On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by Esio Trot View Post
      The tenants objected saying it was laminate when they moved in and that is what they want. The landlord had no option but to replace the laminate - but he's never using laminate again!

      I am not aware that a LL would HAVE to replace like with like. He may well do to keep the tenants happy, but I doubt he is oblighed to for things like flooring.

      Comment


        #33
        I have always been led to believe on this forum that a LL cannot claim "betterment" when it comes to replacing damaged items .. so assuming that is true the most he can claim for is replacement of the carpet less any wear and tear .. the fact that he's getting a better quality and brand new carpet more than covers any cost of replacement of the old carpet.

        I would argue the laminate flooring if I were you and if he keeps hold of your deposit take him to the small claims court and see how he will fare with the judge !!



        Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
          I am not aware that a LL would HAVE to replace like with like. He may well do to keep the tenants happy, but I doubt he is obliged to for things like flooring.
          That was my opinion until a couple of years ago.

          There was a recorded case where the owner of a property wanted to upgrade the heating system, and as there was a gas supply wanted to replace the storage heaters with gch. The tenants objected, but he went ahead anyway. They took legal action and won on the basis that they said they took the place because it had storage heaters, so the owner had to again provide storage heaters.

          I can't find the reference to it at the moment.
          On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by Esio Trot View Post
            That was my opinion until a couple of years ago.

            There was a recorded case where the owner of a property wanted to upgrade the heating system, and as there was a gas supply wanted to replace the storage heaters with gch. The tenants objected, but he went ahead anyway. They took legal action and won on the basis that they said they took the place because it had storage heaters, so the owner had to again provide storage heaters.

            I can't find the reference to it at the moment.
            Bugger! that was a little harsh wasn't it !!!!

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by MrMcCombe View Post
              Thank you!
              ps Just heard from the landlord - a figure of �500 for laminate flooring is being quoted. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Just as I expected - get the tenant to pay for his new flooring.
              He cannot sting you for anymore than it would cost to replace the carpet with an equivalent

              Don't let this scumbag walk all over you, the law is on your side. TDS will bring about an end to his deposit thieving, but as the last to suffer at the hands of the old laws, don't let him steal it for no good reason, as has been said, document the condition of the flat, and if there's no inventory, he's got no chance. It might just take some time to get your deposit, but be patient and don't give in if he offers a reduced amount

              Honestly, monthly inspections? who do these people think they are? you should just refuse, change the locks, and to hell with him. Let him in once every 6 months with 24 hours written notice

              Comment

              Latest Activity

              Collapse

              Working...
              X