Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasonable period for returning Deposit after Tenancy has ended

Dear all,

I have tried finding a thread concerning this, but have remained unsuccessful..apologies.

Having recently left the UK, I have in due form ended my tenancy agreement by giving two month notice (as agreed in the contract), and have sent a letter (recorded mail) with forwarding address and banking details to my landlord about 4 weeks ago (I left the property about 6 weeks ago).

Not having heard from him, I am now sending a 'reminder' in a gentle way, and am wondering what would be a reasonable 'term' for payment, i.e. how much time to I need to give the landlord for payment of the deposit (knowing that I have left the property beginning of June? Would 5 working days be enough, or 2 weeks?

A reasonable time for the return of deposit wouuld have been within the first 28 days of the end of the tenancy. Send a reminder giving 14 days for return of the deposit other wise you will be left with no alternative but to take county court action. If the 14 days expire with no deposit you need to write a letter before action given a 14 further days and then if still no luck, you can submit a claim to the county court.

If your not resident in the uk any more then Im not sure how you would go about submitting something to the small claims court becuase you would need a uk address for documents to be served to you on.

Comment

Dear Planner,

Thank you very much for your help! I will proceed as suggested, and should the need for the small claims court subsist, use my close friend's address where if need be, I could stay at.

Thanks again!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X