Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lifespan of flooring

Hi

We moved in to a property where the parquet flooring appeared quite old and worn in places. In addition, some workmen he sent round caused some deep scratches in the flooring so it wasnt in the best condition. When he came round to inspect the damage casued by the workmen he said "Not to worry, it really needs redoing anyway. Has done for a while".

The checkout report has now stated that the floor has numerous high heel marks and the landlord should seek compensation.

Just wondering what he can claim for? Full cost of redoing the floor? He is looking at quotes to have the whole flooring sanded and redone and wants us to pay for it.

We've moved out now and he is selling the house. We let dozens of people come round to look at the place while we were still there. We believe some of this damage was caused by the viewers although clearly we cant prove this.

Many thanks

Lee
    Last edited by sebb; 10-07-2007, 22:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Your landlord can not charge you for fair wear of the flooring.
    The matter will rest on what your in going inventory said about the floor?

Comment

I dont think the damage is fair wear and tear though is it?

I can see that we should compensate but he seems to think we should pay for the full cost of repair when this would make the floor in a significantly better state of repair than when we moved in.

The check-in noted that there were patches where the varnish was worn off and some light scratching.

Also, the marks made by his workmen, that was just verbally agreed by us, so i guess we are liable for that too?

I just want to be able to go back to him and say something like "legally you cant charge us the full amount for repair due to the fact that the flooring was old and worn anyway. How about we split the cost x%/y%"

Would I be right in saying this?

Comment

flooring?

what kind fo flooring gets damaged by high heels?

I assume the workmen weren't wearing high heels

only a scrooge woudl charge a tenant for flooring. it's fair wear and tear.

Comment

Its parquet flooring. There are noticable heel marks in the hall. I had this happen in a previous flat so my flatmate agreed not to wear heels in the house but maybe she did anyway. The tons of viewings probably didnt help either.

I dont mind paying fair compensation, I just dont want to pay for a whole new floor I'm pretty sure needed doing anyway.

The damage the workmen did was large deep scratches by dragging a heavy piece of furniture across the floor instead of lifting it.

Comment

Originally posted by sebb View Post

I just want to be able to go back to him and say something like "legally you cant charge us the full amount for repair due to the fact that the flooring was old and worn anyway. How about we split the cost x%/y%"

Would I be right in saying this?
            Do that. Although I would keep your percentage on the low side.

The landlord can not charge for any form of betterment.

Comment

Does it work like that though?

If the only way to repair the damage is to re-do the floor, even if this does make it better than it already was? I would expect this to be his argument back as it was my first thought.

I guess the only way to know is to try it and see what he says. Is there any guidence around which would help me determine the fair apportionment?

I've heard the useful lifespan of a carpet is up to 10 years. Is there guidance on other types of flooring?

I want to be fair to everyone concerned.

Comment

Yes, this is the way it should work.
                The landlord is right to claim for any damage, deyond fair ware, Nothing else.

He can not claim the full cost of new flooring, if say, the flooring is 20 yrs old, as this would be betterment.

Comment

ARLA provide good information on what constitutes fair wear and tear and has some approx general calculations that can be used.

http://www.arla.co.uk/info/depdisdam.htm

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                    by jpkeates
                    I’d propose an increase in line with the contract term.
                    And don’t sign a new agreement, just let the current agreement roll into a periodic tenancy.
                    19-05-2022, 06:26 AM
                  • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                    by Renterthedragon
                    I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
                    18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
                  • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                    by jpkeates
                    If you’ve paid them for a service they are refusing to provide, yes.

I’d start by invoicing the tenant company for the damage though.
                    You have two separate claims and it’s unlikely that the agent would bust a gut to do the job you want them to do....
                    19-05-2022, 06:22 AM
                  • Is my estate agent misleading me?
                    by abimsalabim
                    I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
                    18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
                  • Reply to Section 21 During Contract Period
                    by jpkeates
                    Correct. If your tenancy began on 9th December, they’re a day early.
                    I think you should check that again.

Note that the notice doesn’t bring the tenancy to an end, so you can issue your own notice after the fixed term ends, or simply leave before the end of the fixed term, if...
                    19-05-2022, 06:18 AM
                  • Section 21 During Contract Period
                    by matt001
                    Hello,

On 09.12.2021 I moved in to a flat and signed 6 months contract.
                    Then on 08.04.2022 I have been served section 21 notice by the letter trough the mailbox...

I have started reading about this and found in the web that agency cannot issue section 21 notice until...
                    18-05-2022, 13:31 PM
                  • Reply to Single parent renting
                    by Dct
                    I feel it's unfair to penalize single parent just because of receiving UC which is mainly used to pay childcare costs. She's no risk because she's on her own without that second income. I guess it's true there are fewer properties to rent and landlords can afford to be fussy. It's disheartening for...
                    19-05-2022, 05:31 AM
                  • Single parent renting
                    by Dct
                    A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                    18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                  • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                    by Hudson01
                    The quote you gave from the contract does not give a maximum %%, it just say '' in line '', that could mean it goes up a little or a lot..... it seems a bit vague. In the end if this property has become too expensive for you then in time you may have to move to somewhere cheaper (if they exist !!)....
                    19-05-2022, 04:58 AM
                  • Reply to Windows and front door smashed
                    by Hudson01
                    Do not let this get out of hand, increase the rent by the amount you say every year, and i would go for even more, have an honest conversation with the tenant, if she cannot afford it then it maybe time for her to move on, if you let it get too far behind then you will never catch up with this tenant.........
                    19-05-2022, 04:53 AM
                  Working...
                  X