Landlord's responsibility for tenant's bad behaviour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord's responsibility for tenant's bad behaviour?

Should landlords be held responsible for their tenant's anti-social behaviour?

In the light of the campaign to the prime minister started by resident Mrs Moore on the 10 Downing Street website, what are your views?

See the story here: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/

and here:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/StudentNuisance/

"Increasing numbers of tenants, particularly students, are causing noise nuisance to their neighbours via loud music; slamming doors & shouting during the night on weekdays; holding houseparties with professional djs; playing musical instruments, stereo systems & playstations at high volumes and often making a lot of noise outside properties during the night. There appears to be virtually no funding for Environmental Health officers to deal with noise nuisance, and the police do not apparently have powers to act. Landlords are often reluctant to enforce the terms of tenancy agreements in case they lose their tenants and consequent rental income. Also, landlords do not usually have to suffer the nuisance themselves, and often do not take neighbours' complaints seriously. We believe that the government should take action to widen the scope of existing Environmental Health legislation to cover noise other than that caused by stereo equipment; should provide more funds for addressing the problem and, most importantly, should hold landlords legally-responsible for the nuisance caused by their tenants."

The line I have highlighted is complete BULL.... Landlords have no POWERS to act in these cases, ok you can take it to court, but you have to provide evidence and witnesses and often the neighbours who complain don't want to stand up in court.

Landlords need to be given more powers to act in these cases, you cannot hold a landlord responsible for the behaviour of tenants... its just another way for the government to push the responsibility elsewhere.
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Why make landlords the bad guys, as these were students why not blame there teachers, or the manager of the local tesco for selling them beer, in fact why not just blame there parents !!!!!!!!!!

I doubt Norwich council has given any thought to the number of landlords that would sell up if this became law.
      This would then have an effect on local house prices and create a lack of accomodation in the area.

I say, let's start our own petition on 10 Downing Street, to protest against the proptestors ????

Comment

NORWICH: who remembers the acronym's meaning to Alan Bennett when sending a telegram?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

As a landlord I wouldnt like to be held responsible for the Anti-Scoial behaviour of my tenant, however, with the show on the other foot........in my flat which I now rent, I was previously the owner-occupier. This was in a marina development, the "prestige" part of town if you like.......somehow, the bloke next door managed to get the local Council to take on the flat for DSS tenants.

Right, I ended up with a single woman and 2 kids next door (plus the obligatory partner which the Council didnt know about). I ended up sleeping in my spare bedroom, as it was furthest away from the dividing wall with the other property for over 4 months, this was due to the youngest child of 5 years old or thereabouts getting up at 5am and making the most unbelievable racket. In addition, the partner was changing oil in his van on the lovely cobbled area for pedestrians, the kids played in the communal areas of the block and basically broke most of the terms of the lease relating to behaviour.

The managing agent lamely attempted to get the tenant to calm down, the noise ended up getting worse and some of the comments made through the wall would be enough to get you chucked out of the Big Brother house (if you catch my drift). It ended with me speaking directly to the landlord, who basically said that he didnt care as he was getting above market rate for the flat........I then basically had to tell him that I would personally take him to court over the breaches of the superior lease as they were in effect his actions.

Ended up with me threatening the local Council with letters to the local MP and council members (even threatening to pursue an ASBO if necessary) and also informing local newspapers of the councils decision to start renting luxury waterside for tenants.

Without a doubt, this was the worst 12 months I have ever experienced and the landlord basically washed his hands of the situation, until I effectively backed him and the Council into a corner. Therefore, making landlords accountable (to an extent) for tenants behaviour is generally a good thing.

All the best

Pete

Comment

I agree with the fact that the Landlord needs to take action once made aware of his tenants behaviour. We are currently recording our neighbours actions (we are owner-occupiers and they are Housing Association tenants), we are working with the housing association and EHO dept to get them evicted.

I believe a landlord should do what they can to evict tenants in these circumstances and IF they are seen to be at least attempting to control their tenants (or evicting them when necessary) HOWEVER, if a landlord attempts to wash his hands of the affair then this is when government measures should come into play.
            GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

My personal favourite from my experience with noisy neighbours was when I told the lanlord of the banging on the dividing walls between the property. He had stated that he had inspected the property and the condition was perfect, when he then asked the tenant what the banging had been, she told him that her child had been doing handstands against the wall...............

He didnt even seem to think this was something to be worried about, so long as the rent kept being paid!!

Pete

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X