Landlord withholding deposit with no end of tenancy inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord withholding deposit with no end of tenancy inspection

We moved out of our 4 bed flat recently, and the land lord was on holiday at the time. After about 3 weeks when we still hadn't been given our deposits back, I contacted the agent (she has proven her incompetence several times over the tenancy).

A few days after this, we received a phone call from the land lord stating he was to withhold £120 from each of mine, and another tenant's deposits (£240 total). I should add the other two original tenants moved out a few months early as agreed with the landlord.

The landlord's reasons for keeping back some of the deposit:
    - The oven needs to be professionally cleaned
    - Some lightbulbs have blown and need to be replaced
    - Scuff marks on the walls

Our reaction to this:
    - We both cleaned the oven before leaving as we really aren't messy people. It was cleaned to the standard it was in when we moved in to the flat.
    - Some lightbulbs were missing when we moved in anyway, and in places where there were bars of 6 spotlights we didn't replace them as felt so many lights unnecessary
    - The walls were not painted prior to us moving in, so already had scuffs. I have photos of my bedroom where chipped paint and scuff marks are visible upon moving in

We consider the above to be reasonable wear and tear for a flat of 4 people plus 1 dog.

The most crucial point in our opinion is that due to him being on holiday at the end of the contract, no end of tenancy inspection was carried out. This means that by the time these issues were raised to us (after I contacted the agent re returning deposits), the new tenants had been in posession of keys and living in the property for almost a month.

Surely this voids the landlords claims.

Any help on this would be much appreciated as £250 (yes, the landlord changed the amount to £125 each when submitting a DPS dispute) is not something we feel like handing over without good reason.

Apologies for innevitably posting this in the wrong place!

Just await the outcome of the dispute. The process is underway. Nothing to do here.

Comment

Originally posted by England2015 View Post
      - We both cleaned the oven before leaving as we really aren't messy people. It was cleaned to the standard it was in when we moved in to the flat.
      - Some lightbulbs were missing when we moved in anyway, and in places where there were bars of 6 spotlights we didn't replace them as felt so many lights unnecessary
      - The walls were not painted prior to us moving in, so already had scuffs. I have photos of my bedroom where chipped paint and scuff marks are visible upon moving in

We consider the above to be reasonable wear and tear for a flat of 4 people plus 1 dog.

The most crucial point in our opinion is that due to him being on holiday at the end of the contract, no end of tenancy inspection was carried out. This means that by the time these issues were raised to us (after I contacted the agent re returning deposits), the new tenants had been in posession of keys and living in the property for almost a month.

Surely this voids the landlords claims.
      -Unless the tenancy agreement says something different, the oven should be returned in the same condition - less fair wear and tear - as when you took over occupancy.
      -"some" lightbulbs is not the same as "the" lightbulbs. Your views on the necessity of lights is not really relevant. You should have ensured that lightbulbs present and working when you moved in were working when moving out.
      -The walls are a matter of the landlord proving their case over your evidence.

Reasonable wear and tear with a dog depends on how long you were there and if the landlord knew you had a dog, but fair enough.

Your thought about the check out inspection is a good one. The landlord has to prove the decrease in value of their asset beyond fair wear and tear and it sounds like proving it won't be simple.
      However, the burden of proof is "on the balance of probability", so evidence from the new tenants about the state of the property when they moved in might be helpful (or not).

Let the deposit protection company resolve the dispute.
      They're a third party who know this area of regulations better than most.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I have to say a similar thing happened to me with no check out as the Landlord did not have the time and had to go on to some sort of personal engagement after getting the keys from me at the front door. We then ended up rowing over the deposit (some nonsense about a small mirror disappearing mainly!!) and I wish I had taken it to dispute rather than let the LL pressure me into buying her a £90 mirror that she "liked" because the one I found on Amazon for £30 she "didn't like the look of" - all because I didn't properly understand what the DPS could do...

Comment

Thanks for your help Jpkeates, and everyone else also. Much appreciated!

The landlord knew about the dog in advance and agreed it was fine. I believe he issued a new contract to the couple who were bringing the puppy to reflect this.

Our deposits are secured via the DPS so I am in the process of starting the dispute via them. However, when I select 'disagree' on the response to payment request page, the confirmation shows:
          Deposit Value £340.00
          Amount to be deducted by the agent/landlord £125.00
          Amount to be returned to the tenant(s) £215.00

The 2nd page for tenant details shows:
          [MY NAME] - Payment Method

This tenant is not due any money so no payment details are required.

Yet when I continue through to the final page before submitting the response, it shows the following:
          Repayment Summary
          Deposit Value £340.00
          Amount to be deducted by the agent/landlord £0.00
          Amount to be returned to the tenant(s) £0.00
          Disputed Amount £340.00

Repayment Summary
          [MY NAME]

Amount Due £0.00

There doesn't appear to be any field in this confirmation process which I can change, i.e. changing the 'amount due'.

I was just concerned that by submitting this request as it stands I may be giving confirmation that I wish to receive the wrong amount of money back.

Any suggestions? Sorry for pestering but we've never had any deposit issues in the past and want to ensure we do this properly first time.

Thanks in advance for your help!
          Last edited by England2015; 07-09-2015, 09:48 AM. Reason: personal information deleted

Comment

I'd give the DPS helpline a call, I've never seen that "end" of the process, I only see the greedy money grabbing b*stard landlord pages!
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Smoking tenant
              by Jon66
              Yes I agree with the above. Make sure you have complied with statutory requirements to ensure any s21 is valid.
              13-05-2021, 18:59 PM
            • Smoking tenant
              by renting25
              Please can you offer us advice as to whether there is any action that can be taken to stop a very serious situation of anti social behaviour.My wife and myself own 2 maisonettes a upstairs owned by me that we both live in and a downstairs that is owned by my wife and she has rented the property out...
              13-05-2021, 17:17 PM
            • Unreasonably Withholding Consent on Internal Layout Change
              by wabdiddly
              Dear All,

Looking for an opinion and some legal views behind what I can do in the following situation.

My top floor flat has rather wonky flooring, which the structural engineer's report described as "in poor condition and needs levelling to provide satisfactory living...
              13-05-2021, 18:28 PM
            • Reply to Smoking tenant
              by ash72
              You have been provided the advice by your legal council, if you want them out seek possession of the property (do it before S21 is removed), you need to now moved to the next stage which is put in an application for possession, then finally bailiffs. I would also stop complaining to the T's it is harassment,...
              13-05-2021, 17:44 PM
            • Reply to New landlord needs some advice
              by DPT57
              She wouldn't be able to rent it straight away anyway if you carry out referencing, (which you should), as this takes a few days. I get people to complete an application form too. A lot of prospective tenants are flaky on OR. Some promise to call you and you never hear from them again, even if you try...
              13-05-2021, 17:38 PM
            • New landlord needs some advice
              by wenqi
              Hi, I am just a new landlord who is renting our first property using openrent. I do need some advice from you.

We had a very lovely lady to view our house. She looked love our property and wanted to take it straight away. Because she came alone (her partner was working), my husband advised...
              12-05-2021, 19:56 PM
            • Reply to 'Replacement tenancy' issue
              by berliner
              "If the new tenancy is for a lesser rent, the tenant will remain liable to pay an amount equal to the difference between the original rent and new lower rental figure up to the end of the original fixed term."

I read in a similar post that such a clause might not be enforceab...
              13-05-2021, 17:38 PM
            • 'Replacement tenancy' issue
              by berliner
              Good afternoon and thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Back in October, I found replacement tenants to take over my joint AST (without break clause) which would have run until this July. Because of Covid, I could only find someone who was willing to pay about £400 pcm less than...
              13-05-2021, 17:22 PM
            • Reply to 'Replacement tenancy' issue
              by ash72
              What was the wording on the legally binding contract you initially signed, this will state exactly what your position is, I would state you are still required to pay the shortfall, as you are still jointly responsible for the rent, it would be the same thing for a guarantor they would be liable. I would...
              13-05-2021, 17:32 PM
            • Reply to Early change of Landlord
              by islandgirl
              Indeed thank you. I don't think the agency is to blame but the owners have ducked out of their fully managed service (presumably to save money). No idea what is going on behind the scenes re the contract between the agency and the landlord! Anyway the agency are not doing things correctly and we have...
              13-05-2021, 17:27 PM
            Working...
            X