Television licence fee- who pays for it, L or T?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Television licence fee- who pays for it, L or T?

If you have a TV Licence for a property which may be let in the future, can you be refunded any of the licence fee when the property is let out?

Thank you

As far as I am aware, if you pay by direct debit ONLY you can get unused quarters refunded. Otherwise, you can get the license transferred to another property.
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

So what about if you pay all at once, or by monthly direct debit?

Comment

OK.....not being harsh here, but I've done what you should have done :P and looked at the tv licencing website http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/gethelp/faqs.jsp#link4

You can get a refund for any full quarters unsued, regardless of payment method. Or you can transfer to another person.
        Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

TV licence requirements- 4 flats in 1 house?

i have a house with 4 flats

who is responsible for paying the tv license?

they all pay me rent and i pay the things like the council tax and gas/electricity bills

the contract doesnt mentioned the tv license

my tenent informs me that they can and investigated the premises today

any ideas where i stand and what the repercussions could be?

thanks in advance...

Comment

Did you supply TVs as furnishings in the flats?

Comment

The offence is to watch an unlicensed telly, not to own one. If you supplied the tellies then, unless you stated in your leases that the tenant was required to license same, it is probable that you should have done. If the tenants themselves acquired the tellies then they should have acquired licenses if they wanted to watch them.

P.P.
              Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

TV Licence

Just found this on http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp

You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.

If you use a digital box with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.

Hope this answers your question.

Comment

thanks guys

so as i havent supplied any of the tvs, then i'm not liable i guess

would i be liable if i knew about tvs being used in my premises?

Comment

It's unlikely, despite that it is not unknown for T.V. license inspectors to "bend" the law to suit their own aims and objectives. As I said, the only offense is committed by a person watching an unlicensed telly (or using other equipment capable of receiving a television transmission).

P.P.
                    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

I would do some reading up on here in general - you seem to have been having a few problems with both tenants and agents recently. There are a lot of very helpful articles on the main site as well as in the forum that can help avoid a lot of problems and/or doubt.

Certainly you will want to use an AST that doesn't leave any room for ambiguity as to this issue in future.

Comment

TV Licence?

Hi

Yet another question. I haven't cancelled my TV licence yet. My property has just been let and is furnished complete with TVs. Am I responsible for TV Licence or the tenant?

Cheers.

B x

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleicious5 View Post
                          My property has just been let and is furnished complete with TVs. Am I responsible for TV Licence or the tenant?
                          It's up to you decide you is going to pay for the license - your AST agreement should state this clearly for the avoidance of doubt - but it will be the individual living at the property and watching the TV who is the one who gets prosecuted.

Comment

Unless you have undertaken in the TA, as Eric says, to pay for the TV licence, then I would take yours with you to your next address and inform the licensing authorities online that you have done so. Ts usually expect to pay for their own.

Also, if the rooms are let out on separate ASTs they should all (in theory) buy their own licences, i.e. one per each bedroom with TV in it. But that is their problem, not yours.
                            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Who pays TV Licence?

I let out a furnished flat and currently I pay the TV licence. However, my current tenant is leaving soon as when I get a new tenant I will no longer pay for the licence.
                              I just want to check that it is okay to do this, i.e, because I supply the TV does it mean I have to pay the licence?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X