Rent & Legal Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent & Legal Protection

Does anyone purchase this cover, if so, who do you use?

I currently have tenants in place but the I am about to take over the mgt of the property from the agent (whom I have the cover through), however, most seem to have a 90 day exclusion period for existing tenants!

Cheers

Pete

Originally posted by peterdo View Post
    Does anyone purchase this cover, if so, who do you use?

I currently have tenants in place but the I am about to take over the mgt of the property from the agent (whom I have the cover through), however, most seem to have a 90 day exclusion period for existing tenants!

Cheers

Pete
    1. Try MARAS.
    2. Also try the insurer which is providing buildings insurance. "Add-on" cover is often a cost-effective option.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks Jeffrey,

Is Maras available to private landlords, I got the impression from their web-site that you had to be an affiliated landlord to buy the cover?

My buildings cover is placed through the builder as I am leasehold so may not be an option.

Sods law the tenant would fail to pay in the 90 day exlusion period, considering I have the tenant on a periodic tenancy, it would be easier and more cost effective to give 2 months notice and just purchase the legal protection element.

Will contact Maras to check availability.

Many thanks

Pete

Comment

What about your own home's property insurer? Or contents insurer?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Can you get that through your own personal home insurance?

Currently insured on my own residence through RBS.

Pete

Comment

normally its only provided by the company that actually carry out the referencing. We use FCC Paragon however MARAS, Letsure, Homelet etc are the big names to speak to.

Comment

Right, I am now having some problems with this. I have now been told that the tenancy must be for a minimum of 6 months, that is understandable for a new tenancy, however, this is a switchover from the letting agent and as such I have decided to run the agreement on a periodic basis as opposed to extending the agreement for a further 6 months (and then inserting the clause)

Whats my best course of action, I am tempted to skip the Rent Insurance on the basis that if my tenant doesnt pay, i will have her out within 3 months via serving notice under the periodic tenancy arrangements, the insurance has a 1 month excess anyway and I can claim back any other amounts via small claims court etc (all presuming the worst happens and the tenant doesnt pay, only 1 slip-up in 7 months)

If I did decide to offer a 6 month extension with the (1 month T, 2 month LL clause) what form would I need to formalise this?

Many thanks in advance

Pete

Comment

Rentguard.co.uk is the cheapest I believe, it's around £60 for 6 months and £110 for a year.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X