Rent & Legal Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent & Legal Protection

Does anyone purchase this cover, if so, who do you use?

I currently have tenants in place but the I am about to take over the mgt of the property from the agent (whom I have the cover through), however, most seem to have a 90 day exclusion period for existing tenants!

Cheers

Pete

Originally posted by peterdo View Post
    Does anyone purchase this cover, if so, who do you use?

I currently have tenants in place but the I am about to take over the mgt of the property from the agent (whom I have the cover through), however, most seem to have a 90 day exclusion period for existing tenants!

Cheers

Pete
    1. Try MARAS.
    2. Also try the insurer which is providing buildings insurance. "Add-on" cover is often a cost-effective option.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks Jeffrey,

Is Maras available to private landlords, I got the impression from their web-site that you had to be an affiliated landlord to buy the cover?

My buildings cover is placed through the builder as I am leasehold so may not be an option.

Sods law the tenant would fail to pay in the 90 day exlusion period, considering I have the tenant on a periodic tenancy, it would be easier and more cost effective to give 2 months notice and just purchase the legal protection element.

Will contact Maras to check availability.

Many thanks

Pete

Comment

What about your own home's property insurer? Or contents insurer?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Can you get that through your own personal home insurance?

Currently insured on my own residence through RBS.

Pete

Comment

normally its only provided by the company that actually carry out the referencing. We use FCC Paragon however MARAS, Letsure, Homelet etc are the big names to speak to.

Comment

Right, I am now having some problems with this. I have now been told that the tenancy must be for a minimum of 6 months, that is understandable for a new tenancy, however, this is a switchover from the letting agent and as such I have decided to run the agreement on a periodic basis as opposed to extending the agreement for a further 6 months (and then inserting the clause)

Whats my best course of action, I am tempted to skip the Rent Insurance on the basis that if my tenant doesnt pay, i will have her out within 3 months via serving notice under the periodic tenancy arrangements, the insurance has a 1 month excess anyway and I can claim back any other amounts via small claims court etc (all presuming the worst happens and the tenant doesnt pay, only 1 slip-up in 7 months)

If I did decide to offer a 6 month extension with the (1 month T, 2 month LL clause) what form would I need to formalise this?

Many thanks in advance

Pete

Comment

Rentguard.co.uk is the cheapest I believe, it's around £60 for 6 months and £110 for a year.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent arrears
                  by ChrisDennison
                  You can issue both, multiple times, without implications....
                  23-09-2020, 06:36 AM
                • Rent arrears
                  by MP31
                  Hi

I have a tenant who got in arrears in the end of 2019 by 1.5 months because of work then continued to pay full rent until Covid. He couldn't work and was unfortunate to not get furlough or any government scheme other that UC so we arranged a reduced for 4 months. Now he is behind further...
                  22-09-2020, 19:58 PM
                • Tenant Repairs
                  by VPatel2707
                  Good Morning All,

Hope everyone is keeping safe!

I am about to complete on a BTL property this Friday and have a quick question in relation to how self-managed landlords manage tenant repairs.

When I personally have rented before in the past, I normally did this...
                  23-09-2020, 06:36 AM
                • Reply to Direct Debit vs Standing Order
                  by Section20z
                  Don't think I've used a standing order for ten years. I select tenants capable of setting up monthly BACS transfers. Makes it easy if I allow them to make a deduction for a minor repair for example
                  23-09-2020, 06:35 AM
                • Direct Debit vs Standing Order
                  by danwestgarth
                  Has anyone any experience in collecting rent from tenants using Direct Debit opposed to Standing Order? From what i understand, with Direct Debit the payee (landlord) is in control, rather than the payor (tenant). JCould be a good way to minimize missed payments during covid-19. Does anyone know of...
                  22-09-2020, 15:44 PM
                • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                  by Beswick
                  Whilst it's good to have a landlord who wants to keep the property nice and well-maintained, all of these things added together do sound quite excessive - especially as none of the improvements seem to have been agreed with the tenant. After all, it's the landlord's property, but it's the tenant's...
                  23-09-2020, 06:33 AM
                • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                  by thesleepingdog
                  Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
                  22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
                • Reply to Do you regularly (or at all) increase rent for existing tenants?
                  by Beswick
                  My sentiments exactly.

I have a long term plan and increasing rents hasn't been factored into it - I'm perfectly satisfied with my projections at current rents. If a tenant moves out, I'll advertise the house at the current market rate (the rent increase will take some time to cover the...
                  23-09-2020, 06:19 AM
                • Do you regularly (or at all) increase rent for existing tenants?
                  by ChrisDennison
                  I would like to gauge your experience on this - in all my properties I have never increased rent in an existing tenancy, regardless of how long the tenant stays. Am I stupid or normal or somewhere in between?

I’m of course happy to adjust to market rent whenever a tenant moves out and...
                  19-09-2020, 19:00 PM
                • Reply to Rent arrears
                  by MP31
                  Thank you I knew this was the case I just wasn't aware that if he gets to 6 months arrears the notice reduces to 4 weeks.

I will issue one last letter for this months rent and if that is not successful I will serve notice.

As I can use S8 or S21 is either one of those preferable...
                  23-09-2020, 06:07 AM
                Working...
                X