Where do I stand?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I stand?

Hello, we moved into a privately rented three bedroom house two years ago. The property was a bit grubby as the landlady was moving that day and we understood and accepted this. We were not asked to sign an inventory at all and paid our deposit into her back along with the first months rent. The landlord informed us that she is selling the property and we have had to move out and will give us notice once she has sold the property. We decided to be proactive and give notice as soon as we found a new place. The landlord said that as it was a week into the month we would have to a give months notice on the anniversary day (3rd) of July. We said we could not afford to pay another months rent on top of the cost of having to move so she agreed to keep our deposit as payment for the rent. We cleaned the property and returned everything back to better than its original state and now she is claiming that the house needs a deep clean and will invoice us £200 to do so. We have also established that our deposit was not put into the protection scheme. What can we do? There is no way the house needs a £200 deep clean. How do we prove what the house was like when we moved in? We have email correspondence of our communications with her regarding moving out and taking deposit as last months rent. Where do we stand on this? Really can't afford to pay £200 for cleaning we already did on top of having to pay out for moving. Help?

Ignore the Landlord. If you wanted to push back, then you could, but ignoring this ludicrous demand is probably your best bet if you need nothing from the Landlord. You appear satisfied with the Landlord retaining the deposit... you could not be satisfied.

Comment

Where do I stand legally though? Can she take me to court? I hate renting!

Comment

I expect anyone can take anyone to Court. If you are put under this threat, just mention "deposit protection" and watch the threat evaporate.

Comment

If I was a bad tenant I would totally understand it just seems like the landlord is being difficult as we chose to move out before she had sold the place. What's the deal with the deposit scheme?

Comment

Originally posted by Supertay83 View Post
            What's the deal with the deposit scheme?
            The law stipulates that a deposit must be put into a scheme and details of that scheme be provided to the depositee within 30 days. Failure to do so enables the T to take the LL to court where they will be awarded between 1-3X the deposit amount for not complying with the law.

You could write a letter back, claiming 1x the deposit, minus £200 if you are feeling generous and see how you get on.
            "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

How much was your deposit?

Comment

One months rent.

Comment

Yes. In £s?

Comment

It was £845 does that matter?

Comment

No, not at all. I was just being nosey. I like to know how much rent complete strangers pay for properties I've never seen, or will see. Good luck with your dilemma.

Comment

Well thanks for the help anyway.

Comment

I feel I helped as equally if not more than hippo and didn't get a mention.
                          "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Thank you equally, you have both been fantastic in clarifying this for me. I will pass your regards to my ex landlord

Comment

Originally posted by Wannadonnadoodah View Post
                              I feel I helped as equally if not more than hippo and didn't get a mention.
                              I thought more too. Good that you have been recognised... now.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Grade 2 listed - requirement for an EPC
                                HantsAgent
                                I have a potential client who wants me to rent his Grade 2 listed barn conversion. It's a lovely property and he currently has it on the market for sale with another agent.

They currently have an EPC for it (even though I don't think they needed one) and it's score is F.

After...
                                02-05-2019, 20:00 PM
                              • Reply to Grade 2 listed - requirement for an EPC
                                AndrewDod
                                I wonder how many perfectly good buildings (and cars, and fridges, and light fittings) have been scrapped or destroyed as a result of these environmental evangelists. I suspect they are responsible for a great deal of environmental destruction (both planetary destruction and destruction of our infrastructure)....
                                19-07-2019, 22:39 PM
                              • HMO trouble!
                                Jamesp1986
                                Hi everyone,

I've been renting a property out to a family and one of their friends for the last 2 years. The council have just told me that I should have applied for an HMO licence for the property as it now fits under new HMO rules. The problem is, that I remortgaged the property as a...
                                19-07-2019, 18:43 PM
                              • Reply to HMO trouble!
                                AndrewDod
                                a) Inform the mortgage company "I have been inadvertently fallen within a potential category of HMO through no wish of my own. My understanding is that it remains a single-let tenancy as there is only one AST and one single joint tenant. I am taking steps to evict the tenants as soon as possible....
                                19-07-2019, 22:24 PM
                              • Reply to HMO trouble!
                                KTC
                                Single-let doesn't necessarily mean a single family, and HMO doesn't necessarily mean multiple tenancies. It's perfectly possible to be both single-let and HMO.

What's the definition of single-let in your mortgage? If it just mean a single tenancy, is that what you have? If not, then you...
                                19-07-2019, 21:36 PM
                              • S21 confusion documents not issued prior
                                blinko
                                Guys I have a question .

I issued a tenancy in april 2016 the tenancy agreement was signed. I gave keys to the tenancy 1st march 2016 and protected the deposit and gave him relevant paperwork BUT I didnt get any proof I issued the paperwork.

So 20th april i re did everything...
                                19-07-2019, 11:11 AM
                              • Reply to S21 confusion documents not issued prior
                                blinko
                                Of course but the challenge is not that the safety is is not being observed because for example consider the gas equipment to be faulty in the property blows up house burnt down everybody loses so so for me I would like to think that this is common sense.

requesting here appears to be and...
                                19-07-2019, 21:11 PM
                                KTC
                                I have to respond to this.

Whether you are pro-landlord or pro-tenant, the safety of the occupiers are a hell of a lot more important than the ability of a landlord to evict a tenant without grounds....
                                19-07-2019, 20:48 PM
                              • Reply to HMO trouble!
                                alex1
                                The general rules for HMOs in England and Wales are described at https://www.gov.uk/house-in-multiple-occupation-licence:

[/LIST]So assuming that the friend of the family counts as a separate household, if there’s five or more people in the property, you probably need a licence. If there’s...
                                19-07-2019, 20:43 PM
                                blinko
                                Thanks for your thoughts guy is so yeah this is correct that for sure I am not able to prove that I served the correct documents prior to the tenant moving in and I have served them on three other occasions since as we have renewed the ast everything has been renewed including the positive being we...
                                19-07-2019, 20:30 PM
                              Working...
                              X