advice on what happens after eviction date

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice on what happens after eviction date

hi our eviction date is the 31st of july we cannot move out as we have not got the financial means to do so, so what can we do ,can we stay put until another option arrises the council will not help us ,we are both on benefits,we need more time to try and get financial backing can anyone advise us on this subject many thanks

#4 Yesterday, 11:38 PM
    MDM
    Member Join Date: May 2007

I have cut and pasted my response to your original posting within a tenants rights thread.

A few questions

1) Regarding the deposit - Did the landlord and you sign an inventory at the start of the tenancy ? (If not then the landlord cannot withhold any of the deposit and, if he attempted to do so you could take him to court to get the deposit and costs.) What does it say in the tenancy agreement about the return of the deposit ? (landlord's may not have to return the deposit immediately, but should return it as soon as they have checked there are no outstanding utility bills etc).

2) Regarding the eviction date - is the date 31 of July
    a) the day that the landlord's notice to you expires (in which case you can sit tight and await a court order which will take at least 14 days and cost your landlord £95 upfront) or
    b) is it the day that a court has granted possession to the landlord after a hearing and proper notices (in which case you can sit tight and await the bailiffs) or
    c) is it the day that the bailiffs are turning up to physically evict you (in which case you have to go)

If your landlord is being awkward, you should be in a relatively strong and well protected legal position. It may be worth pointing out to him that it would probably cost him less time, hassle and money to work with you as you come up to this eviction date.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deposit not Protected
      prm70115
      Hi there,

I have recently found out the the agent (working for the landlord) has not protected my deposit paid Summer 2017 for a 6 month tenancy. The tenancy is up in 2 weeks and I have been asked if I want to renew which I would like to do as I wish to stay in the property.

15-01-2018, 11:42 AM
    • Reply to Deposit not Protected
      KTC
      They are still liable for a penalty of between 1x and 3x the amount of the deposit for not having protected the deposit for the original 6 months fixed term tenancy, but you'll have to sue them for it obviously. When the time comes, they can if they wish serve you valid section 21 notice unlike before...
      24-01-2018, 11:18 AM
    • Reply to Deposit not Protected
      prm70115
      An update which has confused me:

Having renewed the tenancy for another year (as I wanted the security of tenure), I received confirmation that the deposit (paid 6 months ago for the initial 6 month AST) has now been protected. I have confirmation from all the deposit protection schemes,...
      24-01-2018, 11:03 AM
    • Attending Court - Advice Please
      Muzza
      Hi there

I posted recently about our tenant leaving and giving her ex the keys to our house, we have a court date of 4th January for which Im flying back to the UK to attend (no contact or rent received from the persons she has left in there still). I feel hes staying in there as long...
      12-12-2017, 18:03 PM
    • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
      Hillsy101
      Oh I'm such a pillock - there's also a great sticky on this in this forum! - https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...cement-options...
      24-01-2018, 10:34 AM
    • Leak into downstairs flat - advice
      Dberry
      Hi,

I'm new the forum and the UK and wonder if you can advise…
      I’ve recently moved to the UK from Canada and so I’m not sure of rights and liabilities... I moved into my flat a few months ago and caused a leak into the apartment below me by leaving the tap running in the bathroom...
      23-01-2018, 08:50 AM
    • Reply to Leak into downstairs flat - advice
      Dberry
      It turns out that there was a leak coming from the roof that caused the problem. It just so happened to be on the same day. However the sink will still be fixed which is good news.
      24-01-2018, 09:35 AM
    • Part Admission of Debt MCOL Help!
      nessa
      Hi, hoping someone can help.

First claim on mcol, so I’m finding my feet.

I have just received forms n9a and n9b from the court, regarding the defendants part admission to my claim started in mcol.

However that was all I have received, I received no other forms...
      24-01-2018, 06:15 AM
    • Reply to Part Admission of Debt MCOL Help!
      Interlaken
      Yes you should have received other forms for guidance and to make a reply.
      Phone them - be prepared for long wait or try 1st thing and tell them what you have received.
      24-01-2018, 09:23 AM
    • Expired Smoke Alarms
      Maria Pelling
      I recently had a heating engineer undertake a Gas Safety Inspection at a property I own. The GSI was fine but in the fault details he has written that the smoke alarms have expired. Looking at them they were fitted when the property was built in October 2007 and they say they are valid for 10 years....
      23-01-2018, 15:57 PM
    Working...
    X