What happens to the tennants deposit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens to the tennants deposit?

Yesterday I let my property through a letting agent, the tenant says they charged him 6weeks rent as a deposit plus the first months rent plus £200 for referencing and tenancy agreement. They also charged me 1months rent plus vat. The tenant plans to stay for the long term and has a 12month tenancy as the sole tenant, in England starting 23/04/2015 paying monthly, Its a 1 bedroom flat and he will be the only one living there. I plan to renew the tenancy next year by simply copying the original one and not using the estate agent, can I do this and what will happen to the deposit as the estate agent took it

You would need to check your agreement with the agent, but I would be amazed that they hadn't considered the possibility.

You can't legally copy the agents document either (not that i can imagine that would be a huge problem for you.)
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You can protect the deposit, and deal with the legal requirements yourself.
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

The estate agent should have protected it within 30 days and send prescribed information to tenant - ensure this is done!!

After it ends, depending on your agreement with the letting agent, if you can get out of it then there are plenty of tenancy agreements templates on the web and just ensure deposit remains protected.
        These are my personal opinions and specific legal advice should be sought

Comment

I would add to that - be prepared that the tenant does not want to stay after 1 year or even earlier - is there a 6 month break clause?

Tenants rarely do what they say.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Just in case you don't know - there is no need to renew the tenancy agreement - you don't need to issue another one after 12 months - you can let it just roll over onto whats called a periodic agreement.

Comment

Yes, but then it would become SPT, with no additional fixed term and much shorter Statutory Notce periods for T & LL, but I agree, allowing SPT may be best for all concerned after 12 month fixed term. If both Parties are happy, the T can continue; but just check Contract whether LL may be resp to LA for same T 'renewal' fees. Some LA's still try this,even though orig TA still exists as SPT.

Comment

Well, the T has been living in my flat for a few years now and there have been no major hiccups, totally managed by me, still unsure about the deposit but he says he is staying indefinitely so we'll worry about that when the time comes. Does anyone know if sharman quinney are good with deposits

Comment

Originally posted by sporter82 View Post
                  Does anyone know if XXXX are good with deposits
                  They are YOUR agent. Ask them what the situation is with the deposit. They are required to tell you.

Comment

I would suggest you deal with the deposit yourself as you will be liable to the tenant if they make a mistake, (which is easily done)

Comment

Not knowing where the deposit is or if it has been properly protected could prove to be an expensive mistake.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?
                        by theartfullodger
                        Many many tenants leave when served s21 , more when court papers served etc etc. Any tidal wave/tsunami may become visible later than now, if at all.
                        21-05-2022, 12:04 PM
                      • Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?
                        by jpkeates
                        The latest government figures for possession claims have been published, which cover January through March 2022.
                        That's post Covid restrictions and would probably include most of the last of the Covid backlog.

And there's no sign of the massive wave of evictions and resulting mass...
                        19-05-2022, 10:46 AM
                      • Reply to Ending contracts
                        by theartfullodger
                        Depends on what the agreement you have between you and agent or the terms and conditions they sent you when you started the relationship. Sadly can't read it from here.

See what it says, if you can't find anything ask agent to provide copy of such terms you agreed to.....and how/where...
                        21-05-2022, 12:02 PM
                      • Ending contracts
                        by Pineapple288
                        2 questions. I rent my BTL property through a letting agent. The current tenant has handed notice in. Am I right in saying I can now leave this letting agent?

Second question, the.reason I'm leaving the agent is because a very good friend of mine would like to rent he property. If she wants...
                        21-05-2022, 11:59 AM
                      • Reply to Noise from rented property
                        by zcacogp
                        Thanks for the help everyone. We've made (indirect) contact with the landlord who has been helpful, which is great. The council will be the next port of call if things don't sort themselves out.

Interestingly, the local university (Alma Mater of the students in question) seems to take...
                        21-05-2022, 10:50 AM
                      • Noise from rented property
                        by zcacogp
                        Hi,

I have a question to which I suspect I know the answer, but I'll ask it anyway.

We live in a house whose garden backs onto other gardens. One of those houses is let to a group of students.

The students are given to making noise in their garden, particularly...
                        18-05-2022, 11:36 AM
                      • Reply to Checks foe a Newbie
                        by boletus
                        List here (I've not checked if it's accurate or up to date e.g EICR);

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...the-first-time
                        21-05-2022, 10:49 AM
                      • Checks foe a Newbie
                        by AVJ113
                        Hello good people. I am currently in the process of buying my first BTL house. There is already a tenant, so I don't need to find one.

Can any anyone point me to a check list of 'must do legally', and also 'highly advised', please? I 've done my research but there's nothing like hearing...
                        20-05-2022, 16:33 PM
                        by AVJ113
                        Is there no one here who is prepared to present a list of a landlord's obligations (and highly advisable actions) upon a new tenancy, based on there own experience?

As I said I am already buying a house and there is a tenant in situ....
                        21-05-2022, 10:44 AM
                        by Another Fine Mess
                        Fortunately in the Uk (Scotland may be different) any house purchase is "Subject to Contract" which means that at any time you can change your mind. so if you have second thoughts you can back out.
                        I would also say that even if you have signed a contract, and before completion, you...
                        21-05-2022, 10:24 AM
                      Working...
                      X