Can Tenant use deposit to pay final month's rent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Tenant use deposit to pay final month's rent?

We have a tenant who has given his notice on his flat but is refusing to pay his rent saying he is due to leave in six weeks and we have six weeks deposit held. We have tried reasoning but he refuses to pay his rent and insisting we take it out of his deposit. whilst the flat is in good condition and pretty much as he took it, i dont like the idea of not having anything by way of a deposit for when we check him out. Please can anyone advise on the best course of action?
    Regards
    Nick

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to No Fault Eviction
    by AndrewDod
    Next time my tenants give notice I'll try to kick them out three weeks early instead. Makes sense.
    Someone pays for all these jokers....
    24-07-2021, 13:59 PM
  • No Fault Eviction
    by Gdunwell
    Hi All, I have been living in the same house for 7 years and have just been served a form 6A giving 4 months notice to vacate. The owner is returning from overseas and wants to live in the house. Whilst disappointed I get that this is one of the perils of renting but it has raised a few questions. ...
    24-07-2021, 07:54 AM
  • Reply to Very difficult tenant issues
    by Neelix
    Do you not have a managing agent?
    24-07-2021, 13:56 PM
  • Very difficult tenant issues
    by Helvie
    I'm going to keep this short as its a long story. I have a tenant who signed the new tenancy contract on 15th June and then on 27th June I received about 20-25 messages and pictures the evening saying the flat was unliveable due to pests and that he had only moved in the night before. I went round to...
    24-07-2021, 12:46 PM
  • Reply to Stock Market - Yes or No ?
    by landlord-man
    Yes, they have a demo account where you can play with £75,000 ($100,000)

I did put $10k into one copy on April 4th and its now on a profit of $4,915, so nearly 50% in just under 4 months.

I guess as Im only playing, I should "invest" all the funds and see how they...
    24-07-2021, 13:28 PM
  • Stock Market - Yes or No ?
    by landlord-man
    I will post here but it may get moved - but at least it gets a bit of exposure to begin with lol

I've used a platform called etoro for 2 or 3 years to hold shares in some cruise stocks (don't laugh) - mainly because we do 4 or 5 cruises a year and the shareholder benefits can be quite handy....
    24-07-2021, 09:50 AM
  • Reply to Very difficult tenant issues
    by landlord-man
    Has he paid the rent on June 15th and then again on July 15th?

Sounds obvious but have you double checked you have done all the correct paperwork and deposit registration/certificate - triple check it !!

Personally, going forward I would not liaise with the tenant in any way...
    24-07-2021, 13:19 PM
  • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
    by Hudson01
    Even if you were my opinion would stay the same, i think that given it is a converted house the noise isolation and other issues are not the same as separate purpose built flats, so having one as a rental will have far more of an impact upon the other owners who live there. It really is a one way street...
    24-07-2021, 13:12 PM
  • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
    by witsend55
    Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
    24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
  • Reply to No Fault Eviction
    by jpucng62
    This is not my understanding - perhaps others can clarify. I thought you had to give your usual notice if you were leaving before the end of the LLs notice period....
    24-07-2021, 13:09 PM
Working...
X