Wrong Start Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong Start Date

The agents have got the start date to our tenancy and the end date to the current tenancy overlapping by a day. I was under the impression that I would have the Sunday, and Monday (took off work) to accept delivery of furniture (unfurnished property) and move in before I go back to work. Now the agent wants to move the start date back by a day, which now means I would not have enough time to move in. Both myself and the landlord have signed the AST (they clearly did not check).

Due to this I will not be able to move in until the next weekend, and I will be paying full rent for that week. The agent has offered me to collect the keys and have the check-in on the Sunday, but they will not have time to professionally clean the property if this happens.

What can I reasonably ask for here, if anything? Move the start date back to the next weekend and start payment then, as they clean and repair any internal damages due to structural movement during the current tenancy? Ask for the first week's rent off?

The agents are trying their hardest to not have to inform the landlord due to embarrassment, and they have informed me that the landlord will reject any possible movement of the start date back by more than one day (to keep no void period).

I want to begin the tenancy on the right foot, as I think that a good landlord / tenant relationship is best for both sides, but the agent is making this difficult.

They're cutting it fine to 'hot bed' tenants anyway. What internal repairs due to structural movement will be completed in a day?

This 'no void' situation is interesting. What are they going to do, not proceed with you as a tenant and find someone else to fill the void?

You can ask for what you want, the trouble is if you don't get it, what are your options?
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Slightly confused, you are changing properties?
      So what was the agreed end date/start date for both?
      What are the proposed date now for new property?

Comment

Wannadonnadoodah,

The internal repair is a small section of plastering work, and I have been told that all movement has stopped. Not that I have seen a surveyor's report.

Well this is in London, and the rental market is pretty hot at the moment. However, I am paying full asking rent for 2 years, and am relatively low risk (full time working couple with enough in my account to pay the first year's rent).

Thankfully I am not in a chain, and I am not under a current lease, so I do not have a set time period to move in by.

Is the only case I have against the agent, and claim one day rent from them, as they got it wrong?

Comment

mariner,

Moving out of family home.

31/05/2015 for both end and start date.

01/06/2015

Comment

Provided you don't accept keys earlier, you could move in the following weekend, after repairs completed and the T should commence on actual possession date, so no lost rent and a bit more work for LA.

Comment

Originally posted by CJBJohnston View Post
              Both myself and the landlord have signed the AST (they clearly did not check).
              Clearly you did not check too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hippogriff View Post
                Clearly you did not check too.
                You appear to be taking issue with the incoming T because they do not check the TA that the outgoing T had?

pm
                Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

I did check, and was told the wrong day. Due to data protection they are not allowed to show me the current tenants' signed AST.

The properties' landlord is an Investment Fund, and run by Asset Managers, who I am sure do not have enough time to read every tenancy agreement. I do not think they are to blame. I think it is the agent.

Comment

Given that whether a property is available or not is about the most basic thing a L/LA has to do, it's amazing how often they get it wrong. Personally as a tenant I would be happy to check the LA's workings out on behalf of the L if my L would like to give me a portion of the fees they pay to the LA. OP - since you won't be homeless, I would genuinely consider whether to pull out now on the grounds of the L's breach of contract (property not available on start date/repairs not done); if the LA can't get this right it's going to be a nightmare trying to get anything done for the two years you're there. If you do go ahead try telling them you'll move in the following weekend and since it's their error they will need to compensate the L for the void period. Sympathies though - I'm also in the London rental market and I know the compromises you have to make on service level.

Comment

Originally posted by CJBJohnston View Post
                      The agents are trying their hardest to not have to inform the landlord due to embarrassment, and they have informed me that the landlord will reject any possible movement of the start date back by more than one day (to keep no void period).
                      If the agents have got it wrong, then they need to deal with it. Rather than worry about claiming something from someone, you should insist that they change the tenancy start date to one to suit you (a week later), or you'll find somewhere else. Their embarrassment should not be your problem. It sounds like you can easily stay where you are without any issues, you are in a good position to negotiate.

You should also be prepared for the fact that the current tenants might not actually leave on 31st May.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                        by jpkeates
                        You might find a sympathetic judge.

But you have to consider what you're trying to argue.
                        If you'd been in a car crash and were in hospital and unable to work, that wouldn't be a defence to not paying rent owed.
                        You're trying to argue that it was the landlord driving the car...
                        19-05-2022, 09:01 AM
                      • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                        by Forgetmeknot
                        I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
                        so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
                        18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
                      • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                        by Forgetmeknot
                        Thankyou for your replies.

Taking on board your comments but interested in how you think it is two separate things….?
                        One action was the direct cause of another land if I’m in court disputing amount of money owed isn’t that the time to be arguing my case? Not to be receiving...
                        19-05-2022, 08:32 AM
                      • Reply to Single parent renting
                        by doobrey
                        Certainly.

In my view, both sides must be free to choose. If you take away the right of businesses (which LLs are, whether they consider themselves to be or not) to assess risk and respond accordingly they will not be in business for very long. And if the LLs disappear then...
                        19-05-2022, 08:18 AM
                      • Single parent renting
                        by Dct
                        A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                        18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                        by Dct
                        The UC is too help pay for childcare, so she can work ( and does work full time), therefore pay rent/bills etc etc. It just feels like some landlords make sweeping judgements as soon as they hear single parent in receipt of UC
                        19-05-2022, 08:16 AM
                      • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                        by DoricPixie
                        You don't need to get the details from the Land Registry. The tenant can request, in writing, the letting agency to supply the landlord's contact details citing the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. I'm not sure how wise that would be if it could potentially hack off the landlord although I do wonder...
                        19-05-2022, 08:09 AM
                      • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                        by Renterthedragon
                        I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
                        18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
                        by jpkeates
                        Dct If the reason that your friend can't get a tenancy is because she's a woman or because she has children, it is probably discriminatory.
                        Which is probably a reason no one is going to explain why she's being turned down.

Being on benefits isn't going to help either - because people...
                        19-05-2022, 08:02 AM
                      • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                        by jpkeates
                        I can't tell you how hacked off I would be if one of my tenants did that.

The agreement has a price variation clause in it, the landlord and tenant have both agreed to it,...
                        19-05-2022, 07:58 AM
                      Working...
                      X