Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit Question

Hello all,

Can someone pls advise if its unlawful to use a deposit for the purchase of furniture, on the basis that

1 - The T and lanlord agree to the above - thus no deposit in reality
    2 - The T will own the furniture at the end of the agreement

Many Thanks

Originally posted by taheemr View Post
    Hello all,

Can someone pls advise if its unlawful to use a deposit for the purchase of furniture, on the basis that

1 - The T and lanlord agree to the above - thus no deposit in reality
    2 - The T will own the furniture at the end of the agreement

Many Thanks
    Since the deposit money belongs to T, and the entire DPS malarkey is for T's supposed benefit, L and T can obviously agree not to have any deposit but to use the money for furniture- there's no law demanding that T has to pay a deposit, after all.
    Last edited by jeffrey; 21-06-2007, 09:35 AM.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Does it not mean that the L has no comeback if the tenant damages the property? Or were you thinking that the L could keep some of the furniture as reparation for any damage?

Basically it's just the same as the L not taking a deposit and the T spending the money that he would have used for the deposit on furniture instead.

Unless I'm missing something, the law is not involved here. L is free to not require a deposit and T is free to buy whatever he wants with the deposit that the landlord doesn't want!

Peter

Comment

I am sure I know you !
        K

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X