Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord not carrying out promised repairs for 2 years

Hi

I'm currently renting a property in which the shower hasn't worked for two years. When we were shown round there was no mention about the shower not working even though it was there, on display in the bathroom.

After about 18 months the landlord finally tried to fix it but this unit was faulty and would jump suddenly from cold to dangerously scorching hot and then packed up altogether. He has made endless promises of fixing the shower/returning our calls but never does. When we do get through to him it's excuses and (feigned) apologies all the time.

Does anyone know or can direct me to the legal implications of this? Is failure to mention the faultiness of a presented feature illegal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Aura

Why would you not test the shower at a viewing? I would. I've just shown 6 people around a house in the last week and 4 of them tested the showers... one almost got in it!

Comment

Sorry Aura, if you took the property on with a faulty shower you have no legal right to pursue him, I assume that this unit is on a wall above the bath? If it is then one can assume that you have bathing facilities.

You really need to ask him to fix the shower or just do it yourself. Threatening him with any legal action will probably end up in you looking for a new home and him ending up with a new tenant that he will simply tell that the shower does not work!

Looks like he has made an attempt to fix it but from my experience he may not have sufficient water pressure for the appliance to work properly forcing it to cut out.

Good luck.

Goss
      Long suffering Landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by auracale View Post
        After about 18 months the landlord finally tried to fix it but this unit was faulty and would jump suddenly from cold to dangerously scorching hot and then packed up altogether. He has made endless promises of fixing the shower/returning our calls but never does. When we do get through to him it's excuses and (feigned) apologies all the time.

Does anyone know or can direct me to the legal implications of this? Is failure to mention the faultiness of a presented feature illegal?
        When you say he, LL, attempted to fix it, did he attempt to fix the existing unit or did he replace it with another unit which is also faulty? Is he a qualified electrician? It does sound from what you say that the appliance is defective and could be dangerous. To be sure if it is safe or not it should be inspected by a qualified electrician.

pm
        Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Hippogriff View Post
          Why would you not test the shower at a viewing? I would. I've just shown 6 people around a house in the last week and 4 of them tested the showers... one almost got in it!
          I must admit I would expect the shower to work, same as I would expect the boiler to work supplying hot water and central heating. Your shower testers were probably checking the water flow as some showers are almost dribbles, I doubt tbey were testing if it just worked or not.

Then again sounds like op has either got a working bath or hasn't washed in 18 months, so can't be that big a problem to them.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X