Problem with lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with lease

I'd really appreciate some advice. My partner and I rented in the UK for the first time (having been in Germany for work perviously). We were looking for a six month lease with a couple of months option as it was likley that I'd be posted back to Germany after completing a course. We viewed a flat and upon explaining this situation we were told by the letting agent that we should take the 12 month lease option as we would only have to give two months notice if we wanted to break it anyway. With this in mind we happily signed the lease thinking that this was a statutory method of breaking the lease.

Sure enough on putting our letter in to break the lease early (as I expected we've been posted back to Germany) the rental agency have now told us that we have actually signed a 12 month lease. Knowing our position there is no way we'd have signed a 12 month lease had we known we could not break it. When I pointed this out they agreed that that seemed strange but stated we had signed the lease.

I feel we've been misled by the agents. Now they are saying that whilst the land lady may have someone else to move in early I may have to pay another two months rent. I think they should be liable as we had never rented before and genuinely believed that the two months notice applied to us as told by the agent. Can anyone help please? Feel free to PM me. Cheers

I understand your concerns and yes you may have been misled by the LA but you should of read your contract before you signed it rather than taking the LA word for it. The TA would of clearly stated it was a 12 months tenancy.

The only thing would be for the Landlord/agent to try and find someone else and you are therefore only liable up until the date the new tenants sign a contract -however the LA or L may ask you for contribution towardse-letting costs as they sometimes do.

Comment

I don't suppose the agents name was F*****s by any chance! ... Its their kind of tactic!! whisper sweet nothings while shafting you!

As Poppy has said you have been done over by the letting agent and I am afraid there is nothing you can do, except try and find a replacement tenant. THe LA will ask for costs towards advertising and you will have to pay up until a new tenant is found, BUT These costs MUST be reasonable and they MUST make a good effort to replace you
      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

are "they" really that bad????? I obviously saw the documentarys on the TV but living in sleepy somerset we dont get to hear much down here!!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X