Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• annettecj
    replied
    Thank you very much for your kind reply, i will take on board what you have written.,

Leave a comment:

• Beeber
    replied
    Annettecj,

It's a shame that you were mocked when you were seeking advice because of stressful housing. You may have got a better response if you started your own thread rather than posting it within someone else's. Consider posting a new thread. Do a search on this forum about HB.

Your query is a common question on this forum - the problems finding private landlords that accept HB. This is because it is paid in arrears, payment is often processed very slowly, offers less than market rent, etc. I believe there's been a recent change in legislation where landlords no longer automatically get HB paid to them so it's become less popular (because the areas that piloted this showed that rent arrears increased when HB gets paid directly to the tenant). Indeed, one of the largest organisations that represents landlords have instructed all their members to stop accepting HB claimants.

Yes, social housing is in crisis - it's been through buy to let and a failure of the government to replace it and there's apparently 1.5 million on the waiting lists though some have social housing and want a different property.

Consider looking at the info on the Shelter website or contact them on their free advice line. Council's do have an obligation to house those that come within the statutory definition of 'homeless' so have a look at the advice there to see if you fulfill the criteria (though if you don't, all you can expect from the council is the type of advice you've been given so you've presumably gone through this.) Consider posting a 'wanted' ad on the Gumtree or applying for the ads there, indicating your reliability, your future return to work, that you can pay a deposit and any rent in advance (if you can).

Have you called around the letting agencies in your area as they may have landlords on their books that let to HB claimants? Some council websites will list properties or landlords/letting agents that accept HB.

Have you added your name to the local council waiting list? Even if they can't house you, it might be worth doing this as Housing Associations, for example, take some of their applicants from them.

Have you identified and applied to all the Housing Associations in your area? I don't know the process for this but their websites should give info. If they have a points based system (and I really don't know) then presumably they will prioritise those in overcrowded/unsuitable properties.

Hopefully some of the other posters can give you hints and tips.

Leave a comment:

• annettecj
    replied
    There is no need to be so rude, Is that how u get on in life being rude to people. Ok there were a few spelling mistakes I will say that but that was very hurtful what u have written,,,,

Leave a comment:

• Colincbayley
    replied
    Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
    No wonder the home office is in chaos with spelling like that!
    It's not a spelling issue, try reading it after a few drinks, it makes perfect sense! All us drunks should stick together

Leave a comment:

• justaboutsane
    replied
    Originally posted by annettecj View Post
    Hi,

Everyone i am new here, well this is a quetion to all you landlords out there i am a 39 year old lady, with a baby daughter of 8 months, i am looking for prperty tht will accept dss, i have just recently gone on a career breck from my job inwhich i was working with the Home Office, i know that many of you have had bad exp ect , but i can asure you that i will treat your property with recept as if it was my own, the reason i am looking is as i am living in a bedsit in lasmbeth and i have spoken to my housing fficer and he has explain to me that i should look for private housing as there is know social housing at the moment,,please culd could any of you lovely landlords, help me before i have a nervous bresk down
    No wonder the home office is in chaos with spelling like that!

Leave a comment:

• annettecj
    replied
    Help anyone accept me on DSS

Hi,

Everyone i am new here, well this is a quetion to all you landlords out there i am a 39 year old lady, with a baby daughter of 8 months, i am looking for prperty tht will accept dss, i have just recently gone on a career breck from my job inwhich i was working with the Home Office, i know that many of you have had bad exp ect , but i can asure you that i will treat your property with recept as if it was my own, the reason i am looking is as i am living in a bedsit in lasmbeth and i have spoken to my housing fficer and he has explain to me that i should look for private housing as there is know social housing at the moment,,please culd could any of you lovely landlords, help me before i have a nervous bresk down

Leave a comment:

• goodlandlord07
    replied
    The fee that they are trying to claim would be probably for the new tenancy depsoit scheme (insurance type) which they are not allowed to charge the tenant for, so are probably trying to charge you for. If they are holding it themselves will be gettign interest on the deposit, and have to pay a fee to TDS for this.
    Just get written confirmation from the tenant that they confirm you are to hold it, and the LA cannot hold onto it any longer. You will have to register with the TDS yourself and pay a fee, but you get any interest on the deposit (make sure says this in your tenacy agreement). Also you may have trouble gettign the interest from the LA, as they will want to keep it, unless you have this written in your contract that you or tenant keeps it
    Good luck

Leave a comment:

• goodlandlord07
    replied
    The fee that they are trying to claim would be probably for the new tenancy depsoit scheme (insurance type) which they are not allowed to charge the tenant for, so are probably trying to charge you for. If they are holding it themselves will be gettign interest on the deposit, and have to pay a fee to TDS for this.
    Just get written confirmation from the tenant that they confirm you are to hold it, and the LA cannot hold onto it any longer. You will have to register with the TDS yourself and pay a fee, but you get any interest on the deposit (make sure says this in your tenacy agreement). Also you may have trouble gettign the interest from the LA, as they will want to keep it, unless you have this written in your contract that you or tenant keeps it
    Good luck

Leave a comment:

• apope
    replied
    I thought I read somewhere that a fee would be incurred. Maybe a holding fee or a release fee. Yes it seems a bit rich as interest would be earned. One of the reasons I want it of course.

Leave a comment:

• Colincbayley
    replied
    Sounds about right. Not too sure why the letting agent would change a fee to hold onto the deposit? They will get interest on the amount anyway.

Leave a comment:

• apope
    started a topic tenants deposits from letting agents

tenants deposits from letting agents

I am in the process of taking over management of my portfolio from 2 letting agents. All the tenants have been in place for a year or more. Am I right in saying that with the tenants permission the deposits come to me and if they wish the deposits to stay with the letting agent they incur a fee?
    Many thanks in advance!

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X