Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animals - Lease Hold

Hi all,

Recently I've sort of got myself in a little predicament in terms of other tenants in the building and I would like some advise, but let me give you a background story.

I've been renting a property for little over a year, and during this my parter and we decided we wanted a dog. After discussions with the landlord it was agreed. A few months after a neighbours started to complaining about the noise in communal areas and in our flat. We then put control methods in place to keep any noise emitter from our flat to a minimal, including "cannel cage, carpets" as the noise seems to be around the movement in flat not any barking. Recently the complains have started again, and legal action is being taken. The landlord has stated that in the lease hold agreement it says no animal, but I'm not happy with my pet being blamed for noises throughout the evening and night in communal areas as we both work long shifts and are very aware of the surroundings. The condition in the stairway areas within the building are old and outdated which makes squeaky noises when anyone walks in the corridor.

My question is, shall I fight this with my landlord who is behind us, even though I haven't seen this lease agreement? Or decide to move, even though we are happy with our flat?

Kind Regards,

Caf20012

What does your tenancy agreement say about keeping pets? If it restricts them, do you have anything in writing from the landlord to change that?

Comment

Originally posted by Caf20012 View Post
      we decided we wanted a dog. After discussions with the landlord it was agreed.

Recently the complains have started again, and legal action is being taken. The landlord has stated that in the lease hold agreement it says no animal,
      Your landlord should never have allowed you to have a dog because it is breaking the terms and conditions of him owning a flat in that building.

The legal action that could be taken, is to take away the flat from your landlord even though he owns it. You will either have to move or get rid of your dog, because no landlord would lose his flat because of your dog.

Comment

I'd move. It seems the other people will be 'against' you anyway, that can't be good, even if you don't really care about what they think... I'd start looking now and maybe you can take your time in finding somewhere great, without all the pressure that comes with a deadline.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses, we are planning to have a discussion still with the landlord.

If the lease holder agreed with the landlord that we could get a pet, does that change our circumstances? As when we initially wanted a pet, she took a while to check if it would be fine.

We are alternatively looking around for properties to rent that all pets but awaiting responses

Comment

animals are a minefield even if the LL is a dog lover there maybe reasons the advert states no pets, it may not be upto the LL to agree to it. best to find a nice pet friendly place. every place we liked within budget had ''NO PETS'' until this came up and we paid a £100 none refundable bond, its explaned exactly what that is for, its to deep clean the house when we leave. so to us that is perfect!

Comment

What does your ta say about pets?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X