Should I take it as a 'no'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I take it as a 'no'?

I went to view a property today, good size, location ok, price in line with expectation of the area. The carpet was really old (and blue) and really needed replaced for the price they were asking but I haven't said anything.

Days before going for the viewing I emailed the landlord explaining my circumstances (employed but receiving LHA, single parent etc) and asking about minimum fixed term contract, next rent increase, deposit etc etc etc.

Got there 10 minutes late as I was struggling to find the location however I called in advance explaining I was on my way and asked for directions.

So, I viewed the flat, expressed my interest, offered all my paperwork (employment contract, payslip, benefits award letters, bank statement) and current LL's reference but the LL refused to have a look and said that there were more people coming for viewings throughout the day and if they needed to see my paperwork later on, I could send by email (?) and I should get in touch later on to check if they have chosen me.

So I guess it is a way of saying that they wouldn't accept me'?

Usually the agents refuse me straight flat and the only private LL I found before this one told me she would call me if I was chosen (she didn't).

Originally posted by Callan View Post
    So I guess it is a way of saying that they wouldn't accept me'?
    Could be. But as a landlord, if I have a bunch of people all booked in for viewings on a single day, it would have to be a fairly special applicant to make me say yes to the first one that asked, rather than meet them all and offer the tenancy to the 'best' applicant.

Comment

Same as what Eric said.

If eight potential tenants have booked viewings on a Saturday, I'd want them all to have a chance to view.

First, because it's unfair to cancel if people are travelling many miles to view and then the place is off the market before they arrive.

Second, because I want to see them all, and make up my own mind who would be acceptable and who would not.

Comment

I understand it.
        But wouldn't you want to have a quick look through the paperwork that the prospective tenant is trying to show you just to check if they are legitimate and save time?
        Do you contact the 'best' applicant or you wait for them to contact you?

Comment

You are making a problem that preiviously did not exist.

They only want ONE tenant, so when they have decided which person they want to be their tenant, they will ask for all the information they require.

They do not want mountains of paperwork for 2, 3, 20 viewings.
          They should already know if they are working, or not, reciving benefits or not via initial conversations.

Comment

Originally posted by Callan View Post
            But wouldn't you want to have a quick look through the paperwork that the prospective tenant is trying to show you just to check if they are legitimate and save time?
            No, because it does not save time if you do it 10 times. Show the property to some Tenants, try to pick the best option (whatever that means in real life), progress that one as quickly as possible and hope it works out. Job done.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Ending contracts
              by ash72
              You should be able to leave the contract, if there isn't anyone living there and you don't want them to find another T, then they don't make any money. But read any contract you signed.

You should read the comments in this forum about renting to friends and family - just don't do it.
              21-05-2022, 14:57 PM
            • Ending contracts
              by Pineapple288
              2 questions. I rent my BTL property through a letting agent. The current tenant has handed notice in. Am I right in saying I can now leave this letting agent?

Second question, the.reason I'm leaving the agent is because a very good friend of mine would like to rent he property. If she wants...
              21-05-2022, 11:59 AM
            • Reply to Noise from rented property
              by DPT57
              Interesting, but it sounds like the university is definitely exceeding its authority and a clued up student could easily challenge any sanction they tried to impose.
              21-05-2022, 14:47 PM
            • Noise from rented property
              by zcacogp
              Hi,

I have a question to which I suspect I know the answer, but I'll ask it anyway.

We live in a house whose garden backs onto other gardens. One of those houses is let to a group of students.

The students are given to making noise in their garden, particularly...
              18-05-2022, 11:36 AM
            • Reply to Ending contracts
              by DoricPixie
              As Artful says, you'll need to read your contract with the letting agency to see how and when the contract can be terminated.

It seems more likely that your friend signed a new 12 month fixed term contract in January than the the tenancy agreement having an abnormally...
              21-05-2022, 14:02 PM
            • Reply to None UK Wife Joining Tenant on a Period Agreement
              by Mldn
              To conclude with an update:
              Landlords in this position strongly advised to speak to Home Office Landlord Visa section in the first instance. You many experience a 'to-ing and fro-ing' between that section and the Landlords 'Right to Rent' section. See what they both say. They should both be advising...
              21-05-2022, 13:58 PM
            • None UK Wife Joining Tenant on a Period Agreement
              by Mldn
              My tenant has been on a periodic agreement since September 2016. He has been a good tenant. His partner who was with him when he first rented left the property and was not replaced.
              He is now on a periodic agreement. I have not raised the rent since September 2016.

He has explained...
              06-05-2022, 12:34 PM
            • Reply to Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?
              by SouthernDave
              mr Khan is a moron...
              21-05-2022, 13:53 PM
            • Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?
              by jpkeates
              The latest government figures for possession claims have been published, which cover January through March 2022.
              That's post Covid restrictions and would probably include most of the last of the Covid backlog.

And there's no sign of the massive wave of evictions and resulting mass...
              19-05-2022, 10:46 AM
            • Reply to Section 21 During Contract Period
              by DPT57
              I think there's some date confusion above. If your 6 month fixed term tenancy began on 9 December, then it ends on 8 June. If you leave by midnight on that day then there will be no penalty or advance notice required. If you stay beyond this time a statutory periodic tenancy will arise. S5(5) of the...
              21-05-2022, 13:34 PM
            Working...
            X