Tennant needs advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tennant needs advice

I hope this isn't cheeky asking in here because it's for landlords but you seem like a nice bunch and it looked like a good place to get advice.

Me and my wife rent and are leaving the property on the 28th of this month.

Our experience with the landlord has been fine although the house was a bit of a dump (the agent even warned us of this before we viewed it)

I would like to know which things I should consider myself responsible for before we leave.

The house has always been very damp and during the winter a lot of mould has formed on the bathroom walls and on several window frames despite us trying to keep the heating on a lot and I'm not sure if we should be responsible for cleaning it off or not?

Also when we moved in we discovered a previous occupant had left several bin bags of household waste inside the loft! and to make matter worse it had attracted an infestation of rats (he knew about this as we told him as soon as it happened) so we put poison up there and it seemed to do the trick and I don't know if we would be responsible for rat droppings and/or dead rats?, it's hard to even look around up there because there is such a huge amount of old carpet in piles along with bed frames and an old cot and xmas decorations and various other old stuff sat around, also the loft insulation is all torn to pieces and inside bin liners.

Another thing is that we painted one of the bedrooms a dark plum color and I don't know if we would need to put this back to how it was? the problem is that when we moved in the room was two tone bright pink and violet with crude cartoon characters hand painted everywhere and then sloppily semi hidden with blotches of white paint.

Another thing is that we scraped the paint off two of the upstairs bedroom doors because they were flaking badly and I don't know if we will have to paint them again? also the doors have holes punched in them by a previous tenant.

Another question I want to ask is regarding pets, we have two cats that the landlord knew about and although the house smells fine to me it might have a smell to a potential new tenant and I would like to know if anyone has any tips on how to make sure there is no smell, so far i plan to fa breeze everything thoroughly and use lots of shake n vac.

Also the garden has been a complete overgrown muddy mess since we moved in, do we have any responsibility to sort it out?

I guess you might be wondering why i'm bothering considering the poor state of the house when we moved in but I just don't want that to be an excuse not to bother and I don't want him to play dumb and make out we caused all the imperfections and not give us the deposit back.

I honestly get the feeling the guy has never seen the house or at least hasn't seen it for a long time, he seemed very nervous about us painting one of the rooms the dark plum colour even though it was pink and violet before!

Also all of the carpets are terrible and covered in stains that we are not responsible for and none of the doors shut properly.

I'm starting to get nervous that he hasn't seen the house after the past few tenants have left and has no idea what a state it was in when we moved in and will accuse us of making the holes in doors etc.

I guess we should have looked for a nicer place but I had no job at the time and it was the cheapest we could find.

If he tries to make out we made it such a tip will it be our fault for not reporting it all to him right away?

One last thing, there is a perfectly decent fridge and wardrobe that we no longer need, would it be acceptable to leave them there for the next tenant or would be be better of getting rid.

Ok thanks for your time, I know it's a lot to read and consider just from some stranger who pops out of nowhere but any advice would be very great fully received.

Thanks a lot,

Dave and Nix.

If the agent is still managing, ask them what they expect. If not ask the landlord.

Basically they cannot ask for betterment: ie the flat to be cleaner or in better condition then what it was at the beginning of the tenancy. They also need to allow for fair wear and tear.

It sounds as if there was condensation over winter; not enough heating and ventilation going on. This is in your control, so I would say you should clean it up if it wasnt there before you moved in.

Look at your ast agreement decorations...there may be a clause about colours, but the LL might not mind so ask.

Look at your agreement regarding belongings...if you leave stuff the LL may be able to charge you for getting rid; so get permission first.

Regarding the loft; personally, I would only worry if the shedule of condition/inventory mentions it.

If they need to prove that the condtion is far worse than when you moved in, they will need to have done a schedule of condition at check in, and then check you out against it. The report would highlight all the stains etc and you would have needed to sign it and have your own copy. Sounds like he wouldn't have bothered to get one done after what you describe.

There are loads of threads on this kind of issue; do a search.
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
      It sounds as if there was condensation over winter; not enough heating and ventilation going on. This is in your control, so I would say you should clean it up if it wasnt there before you moved in.
      Primarily ventilation, I'd say. What you need is Dettol Mildew Remover Spray:
      http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/2/xpi51883852.htm
      It's absolutely fantastic - it completely removed all traces of the dreaded black mould in an unventilated bedroom of a property of mine I took back recently - didn't even need redecorating (honestly!)
      Last edited by Ericthelobster; 10-06-2007, 09:32 AM. Reason: added a bit

Comment

Ok A little update,

The other day he asked if I could meet him on thursday so he could do an "valuation", I wasn't sure exactly what that meant because I thought this kind of stuff was supposed to be done on the day of handing over the key.

We agreed to meet at 6:15 when I got home from work.

So today I get home about 5 past 6 and waited till half 7 and no show so I sent him a text asking if everything was ok and he said "yes no problems, I've already been and gone"

Is he allowed to do this?

I was under the impression he had to have either permission or some kind of emergency reason to enter the property whilst we still live there?

The only thing I can think of is that he came with the agent to determine a value to advertise it at when it's to let again? I understand the agents are allowed to enter when you are not there?

I'm really not sure what to think, he wasn't very forthcoming although he did say that the dark plum colour in the bedroom MUST BE CHANGED and he knows for a fact that the room was bright pink and violet beforehand with hand painted barbie doll pictures all over the walls.

I get the feeling he just wants to have it painted without having to do it himself or pay for it.

The thing that worries me is that unless I had sent him a text he wouldn't have mentioned it at all and he made no effort to tell me he had been inside the house already or apologize for not meeting me etc.

I'm scared he might be holding a lot back and will spring a list of things on us at the last minute and not give back our deposit claiming we caused all the wear and damage that was there when we moved in.

Since we moved in the house has gotten cleaner, less damp, less barbie and the panels on the kitchen cupboards have been put back in because they had been kicked or pushed out, we got rid of the litter bags in the loft and laid poison to get rid of the rats.

I'm sorry for going on it's just our lat landlord was such a gent and I have a gut feeling this one is going to play silly buggers.

He also said he never received out letter or notice although he agreed to it verbally on the phone.

Does anybody have any opinions?

Thanks again in advance to anyone who can offer advice.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by fatdeeman View Post
          I sent him a text asking if everything was ok and he said "yes no problems, I've already been and gone"

Is he allowed to do this?

I was under the impression he had to have either permission or some kind of emergency reason to enter the property whilst we still live there?
          Correct!

I understand the agents are allowed to enter when you are not there?
          Certainly not - the rules are no different for a landlord and an agent.

I'm really not sure what to think, he wasn't very forthcoming although he did say that the dark plum colour in the bedroom MUST BE CHANGED and he knows for a fact that the room was bright pink and violet beforehand with hand painted barbie doll pictures all over the walls.
          He's within his rights to insist you reinstate the room in its original condition, that's all. So, tell him you'll agree to put it back to pink and violet, complete with Barbie. The only trouble is that if he's feeling snotty (and if he considers that he'd have to paint over your dark plum anyway) then he might take you up on that, just out of spite! But at least you could feel you weren't simply giving him free decorating/improvement.

Comment

thanks!

I get the impression he's not very professional but it's ok, I don't see the point in stressing myself out over it anymore, moving house is enough stress on it's own.

I'll paint the room white but he'll still have to deal with the scooby doo room himself.

If when the time to hand keys over comes he decides to be an arse he will very quickly find I'm not going to just believe any crap he says because his actions thus far have destroyed his image of professionalism already.

He will also discover my nice big collection of photos of the house from the day we moved in!

I will keep you all updated about how it goes

Comment

you are only responsible only those things which you get when you come in that house for leaving. you have done some betterment for house. he can't complain for this . don't worry , you are right in all aspect.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Communal lighting issue
                by AndrewDod
                A 5 watt Led Bulb (more than enough to light a hall) left on 24/7 365 days a year will use 43.8kwh/year at less than £10.

Suggest you spin one off your flat, share the £10 with the other flat, and tell them to get lost. They can remove the meter if they like - it's not yours. And shift...
                28-09-2020, 15:09 PM
              • Communal lighting issue
                by Shalanne
                Hi all,

I own and rent out the ground floor flat of a building that has one other flat upstairs.

It has come to light, that the original owner of the upstairs flat had installed a third "landlord's" meter to provide light for the single light in the hallway downstairs....
                28-09-2020, 12:50 PM
              • Reply to at what stage does tenant pay deposit and advance rent
                by KTC
                Err, rent clear before keys and possession. At the very least, money cleared on the agent's account if you trust agent not to go bankrupt and fold in the mean time. If the agent want you to give possession before money, ask the agent whether they are legally guaranteeing the rent payment (i.e. they'll...
                28-09-2020, 15:02 PM
              • at what stage does tenant pay deposit and advance rent
                by v2kisad
                Hello All,

Hope everyone is safe and well. I'm a new landlord and am letting out my flat through an estate agent. Both tenant and I have signed the contract. The contract was signed 10 days ago and tenants were supposed to move in 2-3 days but then agent told me the tenant will move in...
                28-09-2020, 14:33 PM
                by jpucng62
                Utility companies are not allowed to cut people off in case it causes undue hardship.

When a tenant moves into a property that become liable for the usage on a deemed contract even if they don’t open an account. I would suggest that the occupants are liable for the usage.

28-09-2020, 14:14 PM
                by jpkeates
                I don't really understand how that works.
                Are you and the "other landlord" landlord leaseholders and, together, the freeholder?
                Why is the "other landlord" not the owner of upstairs and you the owner of downstairs?

Who is responsible for the bill would be...
                28-09-2020, 14:05 PM
                by Shalanne
                Some are suggesting that because myself and the other owner are now the landlord's, we inherit that meter even though when we bought our properties we were never made aware of it or, in my case, consulted before it was installed. I don't understand why they didn't just stop supplying power after 3 months...
                28-09-2020, 13:44 PM
                by flyingfreehold
                you aren't liable. For the sake of one bulb just spur off your flat with a maintained bulkhead, more cost effective than a landlords account. A manintained common parts light is one with a rechargeable battery which will come on in a power failure. If however you let your flat to a council or housing...
                28-09-2020, 13:44 PM
                by Shalanne
                Well Scottish Power is saying someone has to pay and they suggesting that's the current landlords which is me and the other flat owner. They absolutely won't make any changes like removing it, switching supply off or anything because our names weren't on the original account before it was closed. It...
                28-09-2020, 13:43 PM
                by Shalanne
                By OP, do you mean me?...
                28-09-2020, 13:41 PM
              Working...
              X