Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem Front Door Lock

Hi

Not sure if I've got a problem with the front door lock or the tenant!

I replaced the lock a while back as tenant said the front door just kept coming open. The locksmith suggested it was because the tenant wasn't closing the door properly and demonstrated why it wasn't possible to 'just open' on its own. What he said made total sense but the tenant was so stressed out and said, I know everyone thinks I'm going mad but it does keep happening. I didn't want to upset her, so I paid the locksmith to change the lock - not just the barrel. However, six months down the line she now keeps getting locked in the house. She has to go out the back door and walk round to the front to open the front door with the key. When I looked at the barrel of the lock, the locksmith has used a 'different brand barrel' and with a Yale Lock. It is only a basic lock, not a deadlock - it does have a night catch.

She didn't tell me she was getting locked out. Six months had passed and it was only that I was round the house and I got locked in she told me this had been going on since it was changed. I feel it's too late to get the locksmith to come back - at the same time, I am annoyed because if she had told me straight away, I could justify calling him back.

So, now I'm going to get the lock changed again. Do I go for a cheapie - such as this from Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/p/yale-63008...-backset/42344

This is what is there now (or should be if the correct barrel had been fitted).

Basically, does anyone know of any problems with these locks. I am fed up with the tenant and just don't want to keep going back :-(

The lock you have shown is the nightlatch version of the one I use for room locks in licenced HMOs.

I've never had one fail but the 2 screws that hold the lock onto the backplate have a habit of loosening. I keep meaning to locktite them, but never get round to it. Also make sure the door edge end of the backplate is screwed with small screws.

It might be worth checking if there is any minimum standard for your insurance policy, if you are using it as a front door lock.

Comment

Thanks. There is a 5 lever mortice on the door as well.

I was thinking the problem must be something to do with the barrel as it isn't the same make as the lock. I will go for a lock along the lines of my link.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymore View Post
        There is a 5 lever mortice on the door as well.
        Why do you actually need a cylinder lock as well as mortice lock? Personally I think they are bad news on a tenanted property due to the likelihood (certainty?) of tenants locking themselves our

Comment

Personally, I have only ever known properties to have both locks! It's a good point - why do people have two locks when only one is needed?

Comment

Why do you actually need a mortice lock as well as cylinder lock ? ( cylinder lock being the norm )
            Because that makes 2 points to have to break if anyone wants to force entry.

And if you have ever seen a locksmith open a yale type lock ( as I have ) without a key and without having to drill the lock, and once the door is opened, the lock is intact, undamaged, and uses the same key, then you will know why a mortice lock is essential.

I have a mortice lock on my front door, but I never use it unless going on holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymore View Post
              I was thinking the problem must be something to do with the barrel as it isn't the same make as the lock.
              If you can open it from outside with the key, but not from the inside with the lever - then it is probably the extension piece on the rear of the barrel that has been cut too short and is not engaging with the lever.

You often have to cut these down to suit the thickness of the door, they have notch marks along the length as cutting guides.
              If you cut it too short it will not engage properly with the lever.

Also if its a different make barrel then the extension may not line up correctly with the lever.

You might want to look at just replacing this extension piece, you can buy them and they are not that difficult to fit.

Or just buy a new yale barrel it will have an extension piece fitted, (which may need cutting down again - don't cut it too short).

Comment

If the extension peice of the barrel doesn't engage the lever then it wouldn't open with the key surely? The barrel turns the lock using the extension peice so if it's not engaged then how can it work?

The [internal] locking tab hasn't been pushed down has it? Yale latches have duel function of being held open and closed. Worth a check before taking things apart.

It could also be a simple case that the unit is just broken from new.
                There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Err, guys, Claymore asked this question in January.

Comment

I was wondering why this had resurfaced :-)

Comment

A spammer scoured the forums for a thread relevant to his advert that he could post in, which resulted in others replying to the thread.
                      I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

How, why does this happen? Just curious to know, what would the purpose of the spammer?

Comment

I didn't see this particular one, but it's usually something along the lines of "I had exactly the same problem with my door, but fortunately www.spammylocksmiths.com did a really good job of fixing it..."

Comment

Here's the post with the link disabled;

Well It sound like the problem is with the lock barrel as it is of different brand and it is obvious for it to get stuck.But i really dont get the point of the getting two different looks.It might also be possible that tenant is messing with the lock and blaming the locksmith.I think you should get it checked again by expert.
                            As Eric suggests, most are in the form of a fake recommendation.
                            I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Moderator2 View Post
                              Here's the post with the link disabled;

As Eric suggests, most are in the form of a fake recommendation.
                              OK, now I understand!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X