Has DPS' PI changed recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks

Also wondering... From what I've read about PI claims I've got the jist that they only seem to award the higher amounts if there are other problems going on too that the LL is responsible for and that they only seem to give the small amount as an award if that's an isolated issue... Does that sound right to you?

Comment

You'd hope deposit-related penalties would be decided upon by a Court based on deposit-related shortcomings, if that's what you mean? So you would hope that a Landlord with 1 property who protected a deposit on time, but served the PI a few days late but then served it would get the bare minimum, but a Landlord who has many properties and flagrantly simply ignores the deposit legislation and treats the deposits they receive as a "perk of the job" with no intention of either protecting them or giving them back to Tenants would receive the maximum... but if that first Landlord also didn't provide an EPC or do the GSC, or repair the boiler when it broke, or they kept coming around unannounced... I don't think it should ever have a bearing on the deposit penalty aspect.

Others may have knowledge of something different.

Comment

That's a point, we never saw the GSC before moving in and when I found out we should have seen it she said I should have asked to.
        Should she have given us an EPC too then?

She has numerous tenants in and out of the property as nobody wants to stay. I'm in touch with the newer tenant who was also evicted, but through the correct way BUT no PI new T managed to bide herself some time in looking for a new property after realising things weren't valid!

Comment

I've just received her evidence that she's emailed submitting to us and court and she has no proper evidence and has not even mentioned the PI. She's also doctored a letter that Landlord Action sent to us and it's so obvious!

Comment

Has DPS' PI changed recently?

just been looking at the DPS site to see which info we did not receive out of the PI (only received the first part of the form and not the rest) but as I was on there it said LL doesn't need to supply service t&c's as the DPS does that when they send the tenant the confirmation of protection email.

Went to find my email from nov '13 but can't find it on my phone so will have to see if my laptop might work for me tomorrow but I'm just wondering if this has always been the case because I never noticed it before looking today and I've looked a few times within the past 6 months or so but never noticed it on the site!
            Is the the service t&c's that are meant to be supplied as PI or is it either custodial or insured t&c's that are part of PI?
            I'm so confused!

Also, my parents paid the letting agents a lot of the deposit, lending me the money so they should have received PI too shouldn't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post

Also, my parents paid the letting agents a lot of the deposit, lending me the money so they should have received PI too shouldn't they?
              Are your parents the joint tenants on the house where the deposit is? Doubtful. What's it got to do with the DPS, Agent or Landlord where you borrowed the money from? It's not their deposit, it's a deposit for your house, your AST. When the DPS ask who the tenants are were they supposed to put you down and do a PS, her parents paid most of the deposit?
              "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
                just been looking at the DPS site to see which info we did not receive out of the PI (only received the first part of the form and not the rest) but as I was on there it said LL doesn't need to supply service t&c's as the DPS does that when they send the tenant the confirmation of protection email.
                Where did you get that from?

For what it's worth there is no official form that you have to be sent; you just need to be provided with specific information as described in the relevant Statutory Instrument.

The version of the PI that I use has several lines in it saying "See attached T&Cs", so if the T&Cs weren't attached then the form clearly wouldn't be valid.

Comment

If a third party supplied some of the deposit direct to the agent/landlord, the PI must to be given to them as well.

The terms and conditions that are required as part of the PI are part of the form supplied by the DPS.
                  They could be removed (they're the end of the document), in which case the PI may not be valid.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Wannadonnadoodah,

No but it said to give it to anyone else that contributed towards deposit

Ericthelobster,

Ok some of the info is missing and we didn't feet the bit that says 'see attached t&c's' either! It's literally just a page in the AST that says DPS' details, the LL details and keeps referring to the 'see attached' bit but not been given anything else!

jpkeates,

Yeah, it was direct to the letting agent that they paid it so I'll get my parents to get their bank statements to show it.

Thanks!

Comment

Which of your 2 previous threads does this tenancy refer to?

Comment

The one I have court for on Friday, not the current property

Comment

I will ask the Moderator to merge with that thread.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ferent-tenancy!

Comment

Two related threads have been merged.
                            I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Landlord demanding improvements
                              by Jon66
                              When there are issues surrounding communication between landlord and tenant, the best approach is to say put it in an email and we'll respond accordingly. Refuse to enter into a discussion. Your answer should always be put it in an email.

Just for future reference, when you have an inspection...
                              22-06-2021, 22:37 PM
                            • Landlord demanding improvements
                              by insideoutcroissant
                              We are the tenants, we’re in England on rolling tenancy after 12 month AST. We’ve been here almost 2 years. We pay a not insignificant amount in rent (over 20k pa). Apologies this will be long. *edit to add we’ve never ever paid late.

Since day 1, the letting agents have treated...
                              22-06-2021, 15:01 PM
                            • Reply to County Court Bailiffs 1 June
                              by Perce
                              Hello All

My tenant declared he feels unwell that is why he is not looking for another accommodation. What happens if bailiffs come and he will say he feels unwell ? I think I will have a problem with him on the day of the eviction. He won’t move. He decided that because he feels unwell...
                              22-06-2021, 21:30 PM
                            • County Court Bailiffs 1 June
                              by Perce
                              Hello

I have a warrant for repossession, the ban is over tomorrow. How long does it take to hear from the County Court Bailiffs ? 1 week ? 1 month? What is the process ?...
                              31-05-2021, 11:30 AM
                            • Reply to Tenant requesting rebate of rent after section 21
                              by ash72
                              Tell the T you will pay the 11days if they pay your 2months rent.... I'm sure the T wont bother. Just be glad you didn't have to pursue the matter through the court etc, and move onto with the next T.
                              22-06-2021, 21:24 PM
                            • Tenant requesting rebate of rent after section 21
                              by Redrufus63
                              Can you help. I served a section 21 which finished in April however tenant didn't move out until 2 months later. She didn't give me notice in any way b4 she lefy and told me eventually she was moving out 2 weeks b4 she went. She is now saying I owe her a rent refund for the 11 days when she wasn't there...
                              22-06-2021, 19:57 PM
                            • Reply to Section 21 Notice only or S8 also
                              by buffalo747
                              ash72.....It's only recently I found out I'm covered for legal expenses and yet to send information that my paperwork over the last 15 years is all in order for them to represent me in pursueing the matter and not for them to reimburse me for the loss of rent. I have until October before I can do anything...
                              22-06-2021, 20:43 PM
                            • Section 21 Notice only or S8 also
                              by buffalo747
                              Two weeks ago I issued my tenant with a S21 notice allowing just over 4 months to vacate. The tenant is already nearly three months in arrears and if I have to apply to the court for possession then baliffs perhaps, the tenants debt could easily be over £10K. The NRLA advice said that rather than issue...
                              22-06-2021, 13:00 PM
                              by mokka
                              A landlord demanding improvements bugger me lol...
                              22-06-2021, 20:39 PM
                              by ash72
                              If the property is in poor condition, T's now have the right to move without any fees, your on a Periodic tenancy I would had in my notice and find a better property/agent. There are plenty out there so the choice is yours....
                              22-06-2021, 18:07 PM
                            Working...
                            X