Tenant just put foot through bath!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant just put foot through bath!

Got a phone call last night from a tenant who informed me that he had managed to put his foot through the bath.

After having a friend visit the property and tenant sending me photos, its clear that 3 tiles have been off the wall next to the bath, so water when showering would be running directly onto the underside of the bath and hence rot the wooden structure.

As tenant never informed me about the tiles falling off, would this be the tenants fault as I feel this is the case and what would others do with regards informing tenant that he should be responsible for damage.

Tenancy is ast in England, generally no issues with tenant with deposit protected with DPS.

Any thoughts welcome, just going to speak to my insurance as the bath is a awkward size 1650 and proofing a bit pricey.

Thanks for your thoughts

About 8 years ago I bought some baths that were substandard from a well known plumbing chain and we had a succession of broken baths as you describe. No wood was rotten but the plastic bath was very thin in places especially around the plughole and when the baths were removed daylight could be seen through the fibre in some places.

Now I always buy baths at least 7mm thick and usually the Caronite make.

I think the tiles coming off would be just from the movement of the bath but without an inspection no one can be sure.

Measure the thickness of the bath skin where it has fractured. Personally I think this is wear and tear and/or substandard bath.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

The bath and the floor are two different structures. Which has broken?

Yes, the T should have informed you of the tiles falling off. If the floor has rotted away then I would be having a conversation with the T about their contribution to the repairs.

How old is the bath? I would be supprised if an 'old bath' would suddenly be defective but you never know.

If the floor has collapsed under the T and as a result they have gone through the bath as well then back to my second paragraph.
      There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

How about this 1600mm steel bath at Plumbworld?

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/ceramica...th-18729-27239

No danger of anyone's foot going through that.

Comment

.............but it might rust!

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by mk1fan View Post
            The bath and the floor are two different structures. Which has broken?
            The OP's not explained it very well, but I assume that what he's got is a thin-skinned plastic bath which has an integral slab of chipboard built underneath, which in turn sits on a couple of metal supports or legs. The chipboard evens out the load of what/whoever's in the tub; but what will have happened here is that water has got underneath, soaked the chipboard, and turned into something with the strength and texture of Weetabix, which will have given way along with the plastic tub.

If tenant has been showering in the bath after tiles have come off the wall and not told anyone, then he is a complete muppet and is clearly due to pay the cost of the new bathtub.

Comment

Ericthelobster,

That i believe is what has happened, but won't know until I see the bath at the weekend. Thanks for the link will probably order.

Comment

Given that the tiles just come off due to the wrong type of adhesive being used, looks like the whole bathroom was a cheap bodge job. The bath was probably not fitted properly to begin with. I think landlord should pay for the repairs.

Comment

Mrcid, if bathroom was tiled 10+yrs ago, hardly a botched job
                  Let's wait for OP inspection report.
                  If T has no other bathing/shower facility, other than a hand basin, then it is LL resp to repair/replace and comsider billimg the T later, a if it is likely T caused damage to bath or did not report tiles falling off. Acceptable time for repair/replace 5 working days(?).

Comment

I don't see how it can be 'given' that the wrong type of adhesive has been used. Irregardless of what adhesive was used, failing to report the tiles falling off is completely negligent of the T.
                    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

My first thought was that he'd put a hammer through it. Is the hole 'foot shaped'? Don't ask me why a tenant would put a hammer through the bath - probably the same reason they put hammers through partition walls. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X