Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Order To Evict Tenant

Hi

This Is The First Time To Evict A Tenant So I Need A Bit Of Advice.

We Have Served 2 Months Notice On Our Tenant To Leave The Property. Unfortunately She Has Turned Into The Nightmare Tenant. She Is Refusing To Pay The Rent, This Is Ok As We Have The Bond And She Only Pays 5.00 Herself As The Rest Is Dss.

She Is Applying For Council Accommodation And Needs A 4 Bed Which Are Evry Scarce In This Area So More Than Likely Will Not Have An Offer Of Accommodation Before The Notice Expires. This Is Where The Problem Is, I Have A Feeling That She Will Refuse To Move When The Notice Expires On 7th September. Am I Able To Get Court Papers Ready In Advance To Avoid Any Delay With An Eviction?

Any Help Would Be Appreciated.

ANOTHER THING.

JUST LOOKING THROUGH THE FORUM THOUGHT I HAD BETTER CLARIFY SOMETHING.

MY TENANTS TENANCY STARTED ON 7 MAY 2003, THIS WAS FOR 6 MONTHS. (WE HAVE NEVER RENEWED HER CONTRACT AS SHE KEPT FAILING TO PAY THE 5.00 WEEKLY RENT ON TOP OF DSS, SO DIDN'T WANT TO GET CAUGHT FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS WITH NO RENT.)

WE SERVED HER NOTICE ON 7TH JULY 2005 TO EXPIRE ON 7TH SEPTEMBER 2005. IS THIS CORRECT?

Thanks

Claire

2 months notice

Youve done the notice correctly timewise - hope you refered to the housing act 1988 amended 1996, and stated the correct section number . You cant start court procedings until the notice period is over (thats why its called a notice period). You should use the accelerated possession method after that . I had my first nightmare tenant recently after no real problems for 12 years - but hes gone now...so can answer lots of questions on subject

Comment

Requiring Possession

Thanks For The Reply.

I Used The 'notice Of Requiring Possession' Form Which Was In The Tenancy Pack. I Presume I Need To Contact The County Court And Ask For The Relevant Papers. What Is The Difference With The Accelerated Possession And The Standard One. Obviously It's Quicker But How Much Quicker, Just Curious About That One.

Comment

It is very much faster - 4 weeks should do it - the benefit is there is NO COURT HEARING. The judiciary write to tenant and give him 10 days to defend himself in writing, then judge makes decision from paperwork, bearing in mind it is mandatory possession generally if you are outside the 6 months initial period

Comment

Originally posted by deandevy
          MY TENANTS TENANCY STARTED ON 7 MAY 2003, THIS WAS FOR 6 MONTHS. (WE HAVE NEVER RENEWED HER CONTRACT AS SHE KEPT FAILING TO PAY THE 5.00 WEEKLY RENT ON TOP OF DSS, SO DIDN'T WANT TO GET CAUGHT FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS WITH NO RENT.)

WE SERVED HER NOTICE ON 7TH JULY 2005 TO EXPIRE ON 7TH SEPTEMBER 2005. IS THIS CORRECT?
          Claire
          I hope your section 21 notice read that you require possession AFTER 6th September, if not, you are going to have to serve another notice as it will be invalid. I also suggest you look up "Question time 3" and the answers (currently on page 2 of this forum) to make sure you have served the notice correctly. HB will continue to be paid up to the Saturday before she leaves unless she asks HB to stop it. The local authority will tell her to stay put until she receives the court order to leave and probably to stay until a bailiffs date is received, that is when they will re-house her. You can get the court papers ready in advance but you can't take them to the court until the 7th September at the earliest then, after making sure she is still there, take the papers in, that way, the court officials will check them for you to make sure you have filled them in correctly, they will also relieve you of a cheque for £150.00. Same thing if she stays beyond the court date with the request for bailiffs (£90 this time). As long as the paperwork is correct you will get possession in 6 - 8 weeks depending on court workload and the speed the council re-house her, even if she is entitled to four bedrooms, she probably won't get them, I have just taken on new tenants entitled to three bedrooms who were being evicted because the LL was selling up, they were offered a two bedroom flat as 'temporary' accommodation.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mouldy silicone wear and tear?
            aciduzzo
            Tenants are moving out today and i am doing the final inspection later; however, last time i was at the flat i noticed the bathroom was in a poor state.

What is the general opinion on black mould that has formed inside bathroom silicone? Is it considered wear and tear? Also, the seal...
            03-07-2017, 08:07 AM
          • Reply to Mouldy silicone wear and tear?
            mystic08
            You might like to gift your new tenants some Kilrock mould cleaner which is magic in a bottle! Cheapest in the Pound shop or The Range but supermarkets sell it too. Works brilliantly on algae too. Garden pots, patios, headstones etc.
            22-07-2017, 20:52 PM
          • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
            MrShed
            I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
            20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
          • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
            jjlandlord
            That's the exemption that allows sending data outside of the EEA, which is the issue discussed.

No, because of that very exemption....
            22-07-2017, 19:19 PM
          • Referencing question
            kangoo1
            A couple wants to rent from me, she is on maternity leave and will not be returning to her previous employment, he is permanently employed and moving due to a job transfer. I have referenced him for the full rent and his guarantor has been successfully referenced.
            I am going to prepare the ast...
            22-07-2017, 17:19 PM
          • Claiming for protected deposit
            mandm
            This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
            Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
            I served the...
            21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
          • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
            JK0
            I'll leave it at that. I'm not going to get into one of JPK's interminable arguments.
            22-07-2017, 16:28 PM
          • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
            jpkeates
            That's simply one of the Schedule 2 exemptions which, if met, allows a process using personal data at all - all the other principles still apply in parallel (where it can be stored, be not excessive, kept up to date etc).

So, while it might be OK because it relates to a contract, there...
            22-07-2017, 15:22 PM
          • Excessive estate agent fees
            Cml241
            I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
            21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
          • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
            mariner
            A new 12 month fixed term does provide LL & T with extra security but can lead to complications for either if their resp circumstances/legislation change during the new AST.
            Personally, I would prefer if a orig AST was for a fixed 6 month term, followed by an SPT that required both LL &...
            22-07-2017, 14:09 PM
          Working...
          X