Landlord's daughter let herself in. Can we change the front door lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tenant2014 View Post
    You are wrong. First: What Saint did was changing the lock. Right? For that he hat to enter the property. Right? His tenant didn't want him doing that. He or she was shouting at him when he/ she learnt about what he was planning. Right? So Saint entered the property without permission. This is trespassing and therefore a criminal offence. SIMPLE!!! Second: Saint also unlawfully deprived his tenant as when he came home as he couldn' get in. Fullstop! The law makes no difference regarding how long a tenant was deprived and if he could get another key until 6pm. What if the tenant is not able to collect the key until 6pm?
    It might be trespass, it might not - a landlord entering a property without explicit permission is not always trespass. If the tenant had told the landlord that they were not to enter, it possibly would be, but "shouting at" is not the same as denying entry.
    Trespass is not a criminal offence.
    What law do you think "depriving his tenant" comes under?

You are not even able to understand the law. If Saints wants to get his key back he needs a court order. That's the law! Okay? He has no right to change the lock to get a key for his property. You all always think you can take the shortcut but law is not as simple as that! Get it in you mind: Renting out a property means you give up possession and in return you get money. SIMPLE!
    That is a nice summary of what renting means, but it isn't really accurate.

Some of the people on this forum are tenants, some are landlords and some are experienced in property law.
    All are taking their own time to respond to you and your anger is misplaced.
    Most of us live and work in the real world and don't need much lecturing about what we are and aren't allowed to do or our understanding of our business.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

tenant2014,

Calm down sir. As I say I spend a lot of time in court so have a pretty good grasp of the law (probably, unless you are a QC or judge, better than your good self). You make the common mistake of reading a bit of info on the internet and applying it incorrectly - don't worry, happens to all of us. I suggest you look back earlier in the thread and see that I was very much on your side: see post 33. That's what you get for being nice....
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Ouch! Looks like tenant2014 is showing true colours. Wonder what her LL's version of events are?

No LL would suggest entering a T's property without permission unless the was good reason to do so. No decent T would allow the situation to arise at lease in my experience.

Very odd as clearly your LL owns and manages many properties, can't believe that this is their normal behaviour, there has to be more to the story.
        Long suffering Landlord.

Comment

I agree Goss - I did note a wee bit of unnecessary aggression in the OPs most recent post. Fortunately it only made me smile - seen and heard it all before!
          Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by tenant2014 View Post
            Get it in you mind: Renting out a property means you give up possession and in return you get money. SIMPLE!
            As I understand it it is not so simple if you as LL retain responsibilty for repairing the property, which is normal. If so then the LL has the right to enter to inspect (to see if repairs are needed) and to make repairs, after giving resonable notice. If the tenant unreasonably denies access the LL would have to go to court to enforce their right - they can't legally force their way in. Going to court to evict would be more likely for a private LL.

See http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/landl...003773.article for a discussion of some of the issues.

Comment

I agree with Mrs Mug - change the locks, keep the LLs locks in a safe place, and change them back when and if you leave. The LL will never know unless she tries to get in when you're not there.

Yes - there might be repercussions, but you can at least go out to work knowing that your privacy is protected.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X