Letting Commission for Agents in London?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Commission for Agents in London?

Hi

I'm new to the forum and letting, so have decided to opt for an agency for the first time. However, I have been quoted 14% for a full management fee and wondered if this was a competitive price?

With reference to this thread, I think it says that agents in West London typically charge just under 10% for let only and an additional 2% for extra. Does this mean that 10-12% would be a more reasonable cost?

With regards to full management, am I right in assuming that typically it will include all the inventory/credit check costs as well or will these normally be extra?

I've also looked at this thread and it says that there may be a one off tenant finding cost. I'm alittle confused as to much this might be so some examples would really help!

Thank you in advance! I have found the advice on this forum very useful so far, particularly with regards to what I should look out for when signing contracts with estate agents.

Ovaltine

p/s: I also found this thread fairly useful.

p/s: Apologies. I initially posted this on the Letting Agents thread and realised afterwards that this was more appropriate.

My letting agency charges £300+ VAT to find a tenant which includes a tenancy agreement, inventory and all further renewals. Full management is 10% + VAT which includes free rent & legal protection.

They vary quite alot in the London areas so shop around.

Comment

hi, I have a property in SW London & trawled all the agents for prices in Feb on my last visit.

Going rate seems to be 10% tenant find service (watch out as they charge again year 2 if he stays) to 15% full management.

If the property is modern the full management upgrade is a bit expensive.

A DIY approach costs 100 GBP for the legals (yr 2 zero because you can copy the contract) plus your time for the inspections.

Be careful if you do let it yourself & the tenant stays as mine did (& does). His rent was set 3 years ago & me not being greedy didn´t increase it, the agents fee would have more than been covered by the new market rent. I put it up anyway now I know!

Cheers & good luck,

Comment

West London - International Estate Agents.
        I pay 8% ongoing (negotiated down from initial quote of 10%) for tenant finding services, all KYC (know your customer) checks, reminder when gas certs due, Memorandums for extension of contract.
        I also pay (my choice) 2% additional for the collection of rent, transfer to my bank account, monthly statements, and financial year end report for accountant.
        Full management would be 16%. Since I have my own handy helpers, including corgi plumber etc, I manage the properties myself.
        Using this large firm has meant to me that I have never had a void, and have been able to interview up to 1/2 dozen pre-vetted potential tenants each time and choose the ones I feel comfortable with and at a good rental rate.
        ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Periodic S21
          royesjaffia
          Good Day All,
          I am a new landlord and as such decided to not undertake the task of all the nuances of letting so I hired a letting agency.

Things went smoothly until I wanted the tenant to leave. The date the tenant was to leave was the 13th of January. To date, he still has not left...
          15-01-2018, 15:14 PM
        • Reply to Periodic S21
          DPT57
          Serve notice yourself and then assuming you instructed the Agent to serve notice on the tenant and they failed to do so, cancel the contract with them and report their incompetence to whichever redress scheme they are part of....
          16-01-2018, 18:57 PM
        • Take agent or inventory company to court?
          Spencerjdb
          Summary:
          Who is responsible for keys if they break 3hrs into tenancy by bending (poor metal) and later proven the 2nd copy of key I had was stiff (and lock has a "knack" and a "fraction") and was later given agency copy of keys which were better than my "stiff keys".
          16-01-2018, 17:05 PM
        • Reply to Take agent or inventory company to court?
          Wannadonnadoodah
          So with the 2 hour clean you'll be taking court action over a dirty side of a bed and a key? Last time I had a key cut it was less than a fiver and it sounds like a 3 minute cleaning job to do down the side of the bed. It really does feel like a massive over reaction. Taking this into consideration...
          16-01-2018, 18:40 PM
        • Notice period when subletting
          peacelily
          A bit of background to explain the situation- I am currently subletting a room from a tenant of a flat who is renting from a landlord.

I have now given my notice to move out.

Our original agreement (only by email, nothing signed or in writing) stated that the tenant would...
          16-01-2018, 18:10 PM
          Spencerjdb
          I want to take court action if I have to pay for a cleaner, because those responsible for the property will not.
          I want to take court action as the agency I'm sure will take it from my deposit if I do not pay for a 2nd key to be cut.

I'm not a slave, nor a cleaner, nor do I have any...
          16-01-2018, 17:49 PM
          Spencerjdb
          Inventory was done Friday and given to me today and I have raised the points (sorry, this is further down in my lengthy post). The agent said that they've gotten inventory company to pay for a 2hr clean tomorrow but that they won't be cleaning down side of bed unless I travel up there and move the bed......
          16-01-2018, 17:47 PM
          leaseholder64
          You are responsible for the cleaning, as you should have checked the inventory when it was made. It will now be very difficult to prove that it was wrong.

I find it very difficult to believe there is a market in such obviously sub-standard key blanks, but I would guess the person who commissioned...
          16-01-2018, 17:42 PM
          Wannadonnadoodah
          You want take court action over a bent key, dirty microwave and dust in airing cupboard? Im astonished to be frank....
          16-01-2018, 17:37 PM
          amazondean
          I know this is not what you want to hear, but this is my experience :

My tenants rarely leave my properties in the condition I would like. I usually just get on clean and fix whatever, and unless it really is something of great cost or loss, just stomach it and move on. The reason is...
          16-01-2018, 17:34 PM
        Working...
        X