Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if I am responsible for adding central heating to property

Hello,

I recently let my house, which has partial central heating, there are three rooms which don't have radiators which are the bathroom, downstairs loo and living room, the living room has a flueless gas fire instead of a radiator.

My tenant has complained that these rooms are freezing cold and has asked if I can arrange for radiators to be put in the three rooms without. I lived in that house for eight years (including that winter a few years ago where it got to minus 20 outside) and I disagree that it's freezing cold in those rooms which have no heating, plus the reason that there are no radiators in those rooms is that there is not really a place for radiators to go.

She has said that she may be able to get the work done for free so I only have to pay for the cost of the radiators but I am not sure if I am liable for the cost of anything at all because she has agreed to rent the house from me as she saw it and so she was aware that there was no central heating in these rooms.

If she wants to pay to have radiators installed herself then I have no problem with that as long as the job is done well, but would I have to get a new gas safety certificate? I am also reluctant to let her get the work done for free in case the person doing it is not a proper corgi plumber.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Don't get the work done for free. (You quite rightly suspect it will be a botched job.) I wonder if they would try to sell you a new boiler at the same time.

Assuming you have done everything you should have with the deposit, issue a S21.

Comment

Sorry, what is a S21?

Comment

Scroll down to the black section and click on 'Section 21 notice'

Comment

S21, Section 21 is basicly an eviction notice, which MUST be served to tell your tenants they must leave ( after the fixed term of the A.S.T. ) but if they don't leave, you have to go to court for a possession order, which if granted, you then employ bailiffs to eject the tenants.

They saw the house before they moved in and accepted how the house was heated, therefore tell them to use a fan heater in any rooms they require extra heat.

Corgi name is now replaced by another name.

NEVER let you tenants do any work, AND if they pay for radiators, do not be surprised if they take them with them when they leave, as the radiators will be the tenants property, not yours.

Comment

You do not have to supply central heating to any let property. I have some out there with only part heating - they came like that - I point it out an viewings and the tenant has the option of putting a jumper on or using and electric heater when using those rooms.

In the 60s and 70s it was common for bathrooms, toilets and some bedrooms to be left off the CH system.

Agree with JKO about getting cheap or free CH.

Section 21 is a notice to start eviction of tenant and remove him/her.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Don't let the tenant do any work to the fabric of the house regardless of what 'deal' they are offering. Tenants are for Christmas, your property is for life.

There were no radiators when the took the property, there are still no radiators now. Let the tenant know that "I'm sure your next house will have radiators in every room" as a not so subtle hint.

You don't know what a sec 21 is do you know what deposit protection and PI is?
              "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Thanks everybody, I thought that this would be the case. I will tell her to buy a jumper or two

I will read up on Deposit protection, because I was not aware that I had to do anything except to have the funds available at all times in case I need to give it back. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Sophie.Durrant View Post
                  I will read up on Deposit protection, because I was not aware that I had to do anything except to have the funds available at all times in case I need to give it back. Thanks again
                  Equals a world of pain and great expense for you.

You should have been aware. You'll be close to tears once you've done some research, the research that you should have done before, not after the event.
                  "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad..._deposit_rules

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...nutes+research

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...it-(yes-again)

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...-DPS-by-5-days

Comment

If I put the deposit into a protection scheme now, after the property being let since June, is that still a problem? I let it in a bit of a hurry and thought I had everything covered, I have read some articles about it but I'm not really clear what happens if you don't protect the deposit within 30 days

Comment

If I put the deposit into a protection scheme now, after the property being let since June, is that still a problem?
                        You can protect it now if you wish, but it's still a future problem.

I let it in a bit of a hurry and thought I had everything covered, I have read some articles about it but I'm not really clear what happens if you don't protect the deposit within 30 days
                        Seriously. You need to read more. The first link I put up from shelter explains it all.

Being a landlord is more than getting a person into a property and taking the monthly rent off them.

If you didn't follow the legislation/law regarding the deposit then the tenant can make a claim against you where they WILL BE awarded by a judge the deposit amount PLUS 1-3X the deposit amount. As it's not been protected within 30 days and no PI has been issued to the tenant then it will probably be the deposit PLUS 3 times the deposit as the award. If a claim is put in, it is a black and white case, there is no "I forgot" "I didn't know" or "I was in a hurry" reason that will stop the award being made.

The tenant has 6 years to make a claim.

Comment

If rooms are not able to be heated to "x" temperature, your local enviromental health officers will make problems.

What you lived with for 8 years is irrelevant.
                          When my combi stopped working about 3 years ago, I didn't get it fixed for about 18 months. I wouldn't expect my tenants to put up with no heating for that amount of time.
                          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Wannadonnadoodah,

FYI- I replied before refreshing the page so I only saw your second reply after I had already posted mine, sorry.

I understand that you are a lot more experienced at this stuff than I am, I made a mistake, there's no need to be so condescending. If your aim was to make me panic even more than I was already then you have succeeded, and I feel sorry for you if that's how you get your kicks.

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to be condescending, just trying to tell it as it is. You asked what the repercussions were and I spelt them out. No point sugaring the pill.

I'm sorry if the sympathy levels are low but 20 minutes research, reading a 1st time landlords guide before you let a property would have saved this situation.

I did say you wouldn't be happy once you've done some research into the situation but you still didn't even read the links I even provided for you, instead asking for it to be spelt out.

Don't panic yet though;

A. The tenant has to realise the deposit isn't protected
                              B. They have to make a claim against you to get the money

These may never happen but do influence the validity of your section 21.

If I hadn't asked this totally unrelated question to your original thread I guess this issue would have never come to light so do feel guilty a bit.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X