Deadline on deposit dispute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadline on deposit dispute

Does anyone know if there is a time restriction on deposit dispute. One of my tenants moved out six weeks ago and I advised him that I would not be returning deposit due to damage. I advised him to take legal advice but as yet he has not been in contact. It has been appox 6 weeks.

The deposit is being held by an agent and they have informed me that they cannot hand over the deposit until the tenant agrees. I cannot wait too long as I have already paid for the work to be done. Any advice?

There should be a time limit written into the AST saying when a deposit should be returned to the tenent or costs accounted for.

Send a letter to your LA together with quotes/receipts for the works and request that they forward the deposit onto you by return.

Comment

The tenancy agreement states that the deposit should be returned to the tenant after one month is there is no dispute. Obviously there is a dispute and it hasn't been returned. I was going to contact the tenant via the agent and advise them they have 14 days to respond otherwise the deposit will paid to me as I cannot hold on any longer.

Comment

I'm sorry u lot, but the above is rubbish.

You say u r witholding the dep for damage. well what damage? u have to prove that the tenant caused the alleged damage, further to fair wear and tear and that they alone r reposbible for it. the agents is right and cannot release the dep until u and the tenant come to an agreement in writing.
        the onus is on you as L.L to prove why u want to withold the dep and give exact detiails in writing to show this.

If i was your T I would say the above and u cannot claim a penny until u can prove what your witholding reasons are and prove as to how much and why...ie: present costs incurred etc.

Sorry mate. I would take your arse to court if I was in your T's position and you did not act on any of the above. And I have done before and won.

L

Comment

Originally posted by tobylaura@btinternet.com View Post

You say u r witholding the dep for damage. well what damage? u have to prove that the tenant caused the alleged damage, further to fair wear and tear and that they alone r reposbible for it. the agents is right and cannot release the dep until u and the tenant come to an agreement in writing.
          the onus is on you as L.L to prove why u want to withold the dep and give exact detiails in writing to show this.

If i was your T I would say the above and u cannot claim a penny until u can prove what your witholding reasons are and prove as to how much and why...ie: present costs incurred etc.

Sorry mate. I would take your arse to court if I was in your T's position and you did not act on any of the above. And I have done before and won.

L
          Tobylaura, I've got news for you. There are tenants out there who DO cause damage to landlords properties and they DO deserve to have costs taken out of their deposits. I don't think you can claim to take any part of the OP's body to court without understanding the facts of his situation (which are not in question on this thread).

Comment

Originally posted by DianeB View Post
            Tobylaura, I've got news for you. There are tenants out there who DO cause damage to landlords properties and they DO deserve to have costs taken out of their deposits. I don't think you can claim to take any part of the OP's body to court without understanding the facts of his situation (which are not in question on this thread).
            I fully agree.

Comment

Originally posted by tobylaura@btinternet.com View Post

L
              What a load of idiotic nonsense!!
              ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Just to let everyone know that I still have not had a response even though we have confirmed in writing how much the redecoration and carpet cleaning has cost. It has actually cost £400 more than we were holding in deposit.

It has been approximately 8 weeks and I have not heard from the tenant or there legal representatives.

Comment

Looks like it is time is take them to the small claims court !

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                    Paul4321
                    Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
                    20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
                  • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                    wfd_property
                    200 miles. Work needing doing? Tenant wanting 10 years? Why on earth doesn't he aspire to buy a place?

Flip it in a local auction. Use the money to buy something local to you and let to a stranger for 6 months....
                    24-07-2017, 22:40 PM
                  • Help re flatsharing legal position!
                    CatherineCarr
                    Hello, I moved into a friend's flat when she moved out of London last year. It was agreed that I would pay market rate, would not need to pay a deposit, be able to bring various items into the flat, work from home, have a certain amount of storage etc.etc. I was also to share with my friend's then...
                    24-07-2017, 13:18 PM
                  • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
                    Wright76
                    I think your friend Emma sounds like a bit of a plonker to be honest and I'd let her get on and deal with the problematic tenant herself.

Any landlord that allows a tenant to withhold rent and then support them in such a way sadly deserves what's coming.

Unfortunately for...
                    24-07-2017, 22:36 PM
                  • Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                    pdmalik
                    Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
                    23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
                  • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                    wfd_property
                    So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
                    24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                  • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                    Manchesterlandlord
                    hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
                    24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
                  • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                    wfd_property
                    Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
                    24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
                  • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                    KTC
                    "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
                    24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
                  • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                    Jcg76
                    I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                    Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                    24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                  Working...
                  X