IVA Tenant, S21 and Councils attitude ...advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IVA Tenant, S21 and Councils attitude ...advice please

My tenant moved into one of my flats in 2008....he claimed H.B. because he has Deep Vein Thrombosis amongst other things.
    Prior to moving in, I asked for a doctors letter to say he was capable of looking after himself and that benefit payments should be paid direct to me. Also, I had permission to discuss his claim with the council....the council said that they would have to pay the rent direct to the tenant but agreed to discuss his claim should I have a query.
    Well, he hasn't been the best of tenants by any means but more to my point.
    Over the years. his health has become worse and on the 6th. November was admitted to hospital as an emergency and he is still there. There has been no contact other than when I phoned his ward to ask how he was. I was told he was making slow progress and making phone calls and yet he hasn't contacted me.......I didn't want to contact him under the circumstances as it could look as if I'm harassing him.
    I should have received a rent payment on the 10th. of November and yesterday phoned the council informing them of the situation. They told me they could not discuss his claim because an agreement to do so should have been updated since 2008......I asked when such agreements should be updated and was told every two years or so, yet the tenancy agreement hasn't changed!!
    I found out my tenant has an IVA in place since June of this year which means I can't claim my debts back through the court after I evict him.
    I've forwarded the information of the IVA to the council together with other info in the hope they send me my tenants next rent payment direct, instead of waiting until he's two months in arrears before they are supposed to do so.
    As there has been no contact either from him, his family or friends I can't see what option I have but ti issue a S21......should I serve this to him in hospital though?....obviously, if it is served at his flat he's not going to receive it
    I'm told he should have asked the council to pay me direct once in an IVA......should I inform his Insolvent Practitioner?

Any advice would be appreciated......Thanks

Serve the Sec 21 to the tenants home address.
    Send it from a Post Office, and get a certificate of posting.

I don't know about IVA's, but I would have thought it related to creditors that were named and owed at the time, not future monies owed.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Section 21
      by Perce
      It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
      29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
    • Section 21
      by zrux
      Hi

My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
      I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
      28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
    • Reply to Section 21
      by MdeB
      Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
      29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
    • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
      by Stew
      I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
      29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
    • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
      by MadLL
      Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
      I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
      29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
    • Reply to The tenant won't pay due rent
      by Perce
      DPT57

I agree and this is a problem. Very difficult to find someone you can trust that they would do a good job.

It looks like one has to become a solicitor first to be able to deal with solicitors. Solicitors forget half of the things you tell them, make errors, expect...
      29-05-2020, 18:52 PM
    • The tenant won't pay due rent
      by Uklondoner
      The tenant just told me he can't pay not even half and didn't apply for benefit probably doesn't know how to. He said I can call Police. What to do now? I know the government back people like him....
      18-04-2020, 18:34 PM
      by Hudson01
      I can not see you getting anywhere with the ex tenants partner but i totally agree you should chase the non paying tenant until the end of time, its is the previous landlords in not going after the arrears which then caused your tenant to be able to not pay you...... somewhere a stand has to be mad...
      29-05-2020, 18:38 PM
      by Perce
      Send your ex tenant a 14 days pre action letter first....
      29-05-2020, 18:33 PM
    • Reply to Section 21
      by Perce
      The tenant should move to a cheaper accommodation which he can afford....
      29-05-2020, 18:31 PM
    Working...
    X