housing benefit tenants want to leave

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    housing benefit tenants want to leave


    Just wondering the best way to go about this.. my tenants are a small family with one child, one parent works the other is at home with the baby. They claim HB to help with the rent, originally they both worked before the baby and did not claim HB.

    I would like the property back soon, and my tenants also would like to leave due to ongoing problems with damp which we cannot resolve. They are hoping the council can help them somehow as there are very few private landlords who will accept HB.

    If I issue a S21 then I expect the council will advise tenants to ignore it and stay put until I get a possession order. I was wondering if they get environmental health involved because of the damp and having a baby in there, will this be an easier way for them to be re-homed?

    Any advice welcomed.

    You're likely run the risk of expensive works demanded by Council.. or possibly tenants told to their fault by EHO.

    Financial problems & damp go together.

    When does fixed term end?
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      I have done many things to try and fix the damp issues, it only happens when there are tenants there creating condensation, but I also put it down to the buildings construction and facing north. I lived there for a while and had no damp problem, but on my own I didn't create very much condensation. It's different when 3/4 people live there.

      I am tired of it all, I want to sell the place now. I have no interest any more in trying to 'educate' my tenants on how to reduce condensation. I have been in friends/families homes and they create loads of condensation, windows steam up, but they never get the damp/mould problems my flat does.

      I've had builders look at it and can't find any problems. The cavity has been cleared and insulated, extractor fan fitted in the bathroom, dehumidifier bought for tenants and so on.

      The fixed term ends early January. Any ideas? If they both were working and had a deposit they could rent privately but now they are on HB it makes things a lot more complicated?


        I insulate outside walls with that expanded polystyrene on a roll and it seems to prevent balck mould. You have to use special glue with it, buit it's easy enogh to put up.

        If you've done all thoses things about the damp I don't see how the EHO can find fault with you.

        I've a feeling I'll be shot down for saying this but here goes - as soon as somebody claims HB they forget how to open windows. ((dodges bullets))


          It may be even worse if they are not permitted HB/LHA.
          I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...



            I sympathise with you. I previously has a very similar problem with one of my properties. Having done all I could to eliminate the condensation, if your tenants aren't doing their bit, as in not drying washing inside, not keeping an airflow open and cutting back on the heating, the problem won't go away.

            I wouldn't worry too much about your tenants getting another property. The hubby is working and therefore benefits are not the only income. Many tenants nowadays have their rent topped up by housing benefit.

            Before issuing your S21, make sure the tenants deposit was properly protected as if you do have to go to court, the S21 is likely to fail. Also, don't worry too much about the environmental health officer, you have done everything you can and the S21 is non fault so there is no need for anyone to start looking for defences to stop an eviction.

            All the best.

            BTW, I got shot of my property too as I too got fed up trying to educate tenants over condensation.


            Latest Activity


            • Reply to Section 21
              by Perce
              It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
              29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
            • Section 21
              by zrux

              My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
              I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

              Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
              28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
            • Reply to Section 21
              by MdeB
              Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
              29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
            • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
              by Stew
              I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
              29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
            • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
              by MadLL
              Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
              I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
              29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
            • Reply to The tenant won't pay due rent
              by Perce

              I agree and this is a problem. Very difficult to find someone you can trust that they would do a good job.

              It looks like one has to become a solicitor first to be able to deal with solicitors. Solicitors forget half of the things you tell them, make errors, expect...
              29-05-2020, 18:52 PM
            • The tenant won't pay due rent
              by Uklondoner
              The tenant just told me he can't pay not even half and didn't apply for benefit probably doesn't know how to. He said I can call Police. What to do now? I know the government back people like him....
              18-04-2020, 18:34 PM
            • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
              by Hudson01
              I can not see you getting anywhere with the ex tenants partner but i totally agree you should chase the non paying tenant until the end of time, its is the previous landlords in not going after the arrears which then caused your tenant to be able to not pay you...... somewhere a stand has to be mad...
              29-05-2020, 18:38 PM
            • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
              by Perce
              Send your ex tenant a 14 days pre action letter first....
              29-05-2020, 18:33 PM
            • Reply to Section 21
              by Perce
              The tenant should move to a cheaper accommodation which he can afford....
              29-05-2020, 18:31 PM