Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant bullying

Hello people I need advice on this.

I am a landlord of a two bed flat in London i rented through an agent last year 2013 June to a tenant on a fixed term one year contract. The contract expired this June and I told her I was going to move back into the extension part of the house, which is a studio at the back. Me and her discussed it and she agreed to the repair man carrying out the work in order for me to complete the renovation at the back and move in.

As soon as I moved in September 2014, things changed and she started to avoid all forms of contact and communication with me to discuss the arrangements of bills. Next thing she sent me an email demanding for what she wanted and how she wanted it and that she was leaving in march(including date of rent payment and bills) and that I had to sign and agree to it.

I then said to her that I was not going to do that because it doesn't work that way and she would need to discuss with me first before I agreed to anything. That was when the constant bullying, threatening words came via text messages constantly, trying to get me to do what she wants. Most times I would just ignore it, until i sort advice and was told to give her notice. I gave her the notice on 7th Oct to expire on 13th Dec. Now she is claiming via her flatmate she never received it and that i did not send or register her deposit which i did last year and she received it.

The worst part is the harassment and bullying I have getting from her in my own house, where she says she is going to turn off the boiler so that I don't receive hot water supply unless i pay her a certain amount(which I was doing, but she still kept it off). It's like I don't feel free or comfortable and I have been advised I have to wait until the contract expires before I can even do anything.

What i want to know is if there is anything I can do about the harrassment and bullying. I know most tenants complain that it comes from the Landlord, but this one is coming from the tenant to the landlord and I have all the evidence from texts and emails, including the one she sent to her housemate saying the hot water boiler must be turned off until I pay her £60.

Please advice anyone

Did you register the deposit, and send her the prescribed information, and terms and conditions within 30 days of receiving it?
    Did you re-send the prescribed information when the tenncy became periodic?
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by esthy09 View Post
      Hello people I need advice on this.

I am a landlord of a two bed flat in London..............into the extension part of the house
      Is it a flat or a house? Your post is very rambling and doesn't make alot of sense.

You rented the whole property to someone on an AST?
      You then told them you were moving in with them?
      They are turning off your hot water supply and not speaking to you even though you live in the same house/flat?
      "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Hello,

sorry if I did not explain the post better

I rented the main building of the property and I told her last year that I would be making use of the extension(which is a studio) at the back garden of the house. This has a separate entrance and facilities from the two bed flat. The only thing is that the main supplies of electricity and gas is coming from the main house. So i only rented out the main building of the house to her and not including the back house.

The mistake I made is I should have given her the notice when the contract expired in June 2014, but I thought we could co-exist peaceful without issues, but learned the hard way unfortunately that she has decided she will not let me have peace. Unfortunately I still have to respect her and the rights as a landlord and still give the correct 24hrs notice before I turn up at the house. The only difference is that I am her neighbour so to speak and the main supplies is connecting from the house.

In terms of the deposit, I did not re-send it when it became periodic, but I sent her the deposit with all the information last year and I remember her saying she received it.

Comment

Did the AST excluded the use of the extension from the tenant?

Who pays the bill for the utilities in the extension?

Comment

Hello,

the AST exluded the use of the extension. This was made known to her from the beginning.

She's the one who pays the bills

Comment

Originally posted by esthy09 View Post

She's the one who pays the bills
              Destined to fail if you rent a property out and expect a T to pay your energy bills via some lose arrangement.
              "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

I know, but I have paid money from the time I moved in to contribute towards her bills and I have record of all payments made.

Unfortunately if there was a way to get her out earlier I would have done that, but she has refused to move even though she received the notice

Comment

Re-serve the prescribed information, and then the next day serve another Sec 21 notice.
                  Please post from a Post Office, and get a free certificate of posting.
                  Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Access to sheds
                    by endymion
                    Well, partly, but mainly I'm considering whether the sheds would have to be explicitly excluded from the tenancy in the AST. It's a question of what would be considered the default position in law....
                    03-06-2020, 14:53 PM
                  • Access to sheds
                    by endymion
                    Hi. We have been renting a flat for the past decade under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The flat is one of five in a single block. The back garden contains a large outbuilding comprising ten sheds. Implicitly, then, two sheds per flat. The inventory does contain the wording 'Garages, Sheds, Outbuildings:'...
                    03-06-2020, 10:09 AM
                    by endymion
                    Interesting. I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. Nonetheless, if the deeds stipulate that the sheds are part of the flat, rather than communal, surely that's quite a different matter....
                    03-06-2020, 14:52 PM
                    by MdeB
                    I believe the OP is coming from the position of:
                    • The LL has granted us the right, beyond the tenancy agreement, to use two sheds.
                    • Would the law consider that having granted that use, the LL cannot unilaterally withdraw the use of those sheds?
                    03-06-2020, 14:48 PM
                  • Reply to Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
                    by MdeB
                    The Government guidance suggests not (under "What will the report show?").
                    C1, C2 and F need action; C3 does not (C3 is "safe but not to current standards for new installations"...
                    03-06-2020, 14:38 PM
                  • Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
                    by Ozzie11
                    Hi

I noticed a new law means landlords need to arrange an EICR for new tenancies after July 2020 or before April 2021.

Please can I get some advice on this? I started a tenancy in May 2020 - this is due to expire in November 2020. However it is likely the tenancy will be renewed...
                    01-06-2020, 10:42 AM
                    by AndrewDod
                    There may or may not be a lease in that case. But there might be. If there is a lease, then it makes no difference that the lessee and freeholder happen to be the same people. If there are no leases, I cannot see that you have any particular rights beyond the flat that you lease. The presumption in...
                    03-06-2020, 14:30 PM
                  • Reply to Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
                    by jpkeates
                    Yes, the tenants have to take reasonable steps.

But the OP didn't mention fans or ventilation and did mention opening the windows "when" bathing or cooking....
                    03-06-2020, 14:25 PM
                  • Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
                    by Borischelski
                    I wonder if I could trouble someone for advice, having recently become a Landlord for the first time ?

BACKGROUND
                    A year ago I inherited a small 1970s one bedroom flat in Birmingham.

The flat was originally heated with a couple of electric bar heaters....
                    02-06-2020, 09:37 AM
                  • Reply to Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
                    by MdeB
                    No, you are telling them that they need to take reasonable steps such as removing excess water and ventilating the bathroom after showering.
                    And, maybe, treating hte mould when it appears.

In my shower room:
                    1. I use a "squeegee" to remove most water from walls, screen, and
                    03-06-2020, 14:20 PM
                  Working...
                  X