Tenant left early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant left early

Tenant left two months into a 9 month contract without giving me notice. He just wrote to tell me he had gone.
    I relet the property after 6 weeks.
    Is the tenant liable for the whole 9 months rent or only for the 6 weeks plus letting for relet?

You know the answer... you can't get paid for 1 thing 2 times.

Comment

Did you take a deposit and use that for the outstanding rent? How much are you actually 'out of pocket'?
      "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

There is quite a bit of damage. The cost of the damages exceed the deposit held by the DPS. I know that the tenant will argue and not agree to the deductions. It will therefore go to court.
        I was hoping that if I were able to make a claim for the full amount of the rent for the period of the tenancy I would not have to get into further arguments with them.

Comment

Claim rent arrears from the deposit, not damages to the property, as it is a lot easier to prove.
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Was there an inventory at the start of the tenancy to verify the condition of the property at that point?

If not forget about claiming damages - not worth the trouble.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X