X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract: Letting/ managing agents and Landlord

Hello together,

I am wondering about the following situation:

What is if the letting / managing agents (privat person) makes a contract with tenants where it is not explicit stated that he act in such a way... On top, however, he really act in the name of the owner but this is not obvious to the tenants...
    Moreover, on the contract is written that he (the agent) is and act as the landlord and nothing mentioned about the real owner. What does this mean for the contract situation?

Is the contract than between
    (a) the letting agent and the tenenats?
    (b) the landlord / owner and the tenant?
    (c) there exists no legal contract?

Moreover, I would like to know your opinion in this case... when the deposit is payed into the DPS by the owner (not the letting agent and landlord on the contract):

a.) there is still everything fine since the tenants payed to the landlord
    b.) the deposit (Money of tenants) is not right paid into the DPS and the name in the DPS has to be changed

Thank you very much for any idea!

Condor

Does your query relate to a specific tenancy problem? If so, please answer Qs at http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ll-new-posters

LA/MA acts on behalf of LL, (not nec owner) whose name should appear on AST, unless LA/MA is sub-letting, in which case LA is LL
    Contract is between LL & T, even if signed by LA on behalf of LL
    A legal contract exists for max 3 yr fixed term, if only agreed verbally.Most LAs prefer written, signed Contrainjcts.
    I think we need more info on DPS problems Either LA or LL can protect deposit but LL ultimately resp. Typo's happen.

Comment

A tenant has the right to know who their landlord is (although it might be the letting agent).

The tenancy agreement must include the landlord's name and an address (in England or Wales) for serving legal notices.
      If this isn't in the agreement, in theory, no rent is due.

If you request the information in writing to the agent, they are required by law to give you the landlord's full name and address.
      If they don't do this within 21 days, they have committed an offence and you can report them to your local council.

Hopefully, in this case, the agent is your landlord, as that would be simpler.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post

The tenancy agreement must include the landlord's name and an address (in England or Wales) for serving legal notices.
        The tenant must be supplied with an address, but not necessarily included on the tenancy agreement.
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X