This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Useful information which may be requested from new posters

Many new threads, irrespective of the actual question(s) asked, require some basic knowledge of the original contract (Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement or AST). To avoid similar questions needing to be being asked by different advisers, a list of common questions has been agreed by a number of regular forum members:

Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?

Q4 – How long was initial fixed term (6/12/24 months / other)?

Q5 – Does the TA state that rent is due weekly? / 4-weekly? / per calendar month (if so, on what same date each month)?

Q6 – Did the TA require a tenant damage deposit to be paid? If so, on what date was this paid (dd/mm/yy)?

Q7 – If your query relates to a notice for repossession from the landlord (a Section 8 or Section 21 notice) or a tenants's notice to quit to the landlord, please provide the exact date the notice was sent/received (dd/mm/yy).

Q8 – Does the landlord live in the same property as the tenant?

Information should be anonymous, so do not name individuals / Companies.

Please provide precise dates.

If your question concerns a particular provision of your tenancy agreement, please quote the relevant clause(s) exactly.

The list above is not exhaustive; there may be further questions to clarify your answers.

It would be advantageous for new thread starters to cut & paste, then answer these FAQs as fully as possible, as part of their initial post.

This post should only be linked to where there is a real relevance, it is not intended to be used in all cases, there will be times where the questions / answers have little relevance to the specific issue.
    I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Pandemic problems
    by boletus
    London-centric problem.

Just had 50+ rental enquiries before pulling the ad for a non-London property.

(Rules and regulations impact on the whole country, not just E.S readers.)...
    26-01-2021, 09:14 AM
  • Pandemic problems
    by Propertyhack
    I am writing a piece for a broadsheet national newspaper on how the pandemic has impacted on landlords, what with so many tenants in arrears. I'm looking for landlords willing to talk to me, on the record, about what 2020/1 has done to them. I'm interested in small scale landlords, who own just one...
    22-01-2021, 22:58 PM
  • Reply to Trouble with step mother
    by flyingfreehold
    I think the widow would be held to have the right to remain but have to pay assured rent which is around 55-65% of an unfurnished AST. Better than a poke in the eye. It would be unjust to cast out an old lady who in good faith had made her home there. The Court would take sympathy for her circumsta...
    26-01-2021, 09:10 AM
  • Trouble with step mother
    by Jul
    Hi my husband was given a property as a deed of gift after his mother passed away in 1991 from his father. My husband put in place through the solicitor that his father could live rent free in the property but had to pay bills and any repairs or updating. His father married later the same year. The...
    19-01-2021, 09:53 AM
    by Berlingogirl
    This is going to cause me more stress than the pandemic too. Properties that don't reach a C are ones I'm going to have to sell. I just don't have the money to do them all up within the timescale, even with any grants I might be able to get. I've no idea where the tenants are going to live. Have you...
    26-01-2021, 08:59 AM
  • Reply to Court review
    by hybrice
    There's some confusion here, I'm not sure people understand the process - it's not £66 and it's not £75 (sort of)

1. The £66 covers the cost of getting your Writ. I.e a High Court Master to rubber-stamp your Warrant/Writ

2. You will then need to instruct a HCEO, the cost...
    26-01-2021, 08:51 AM
  • Court review
    by OS7
    Hi,
    My possession claim is up for review today. I thought “ finally” . It was marked on review documentation to be at 12:00 05/11. I received no calls from anyone as yet. Could someone who has undergone review, please let me know if I have to make the call. I am worried that no one...
    05-11-2020, 15:15 PM
  • Reply to Court review
    by Berlingogirl
    Because they charge a lot of money per hour. The last solicitor I spoke to said they'd charge £150 per hour but then wanted to give my case to another solicitor at £400 ph!

The first and last time I used a solicitor - going back about 20 years - charged me over £400 for a £150 ish...
    26-01-2021, 08:51 AM
    by Hudson01
    I totally agree with this, this could cause us all a lot more issues than a temp pandemic....
    26-01-2021, 08:49 AM
  • Reply to Tenancy misrepresentation
    by Beswick
    If you have stressed that secure parking is essential and the letting agent has confirmed the flat includes it - and you have all of this in writing - I reckon you'd have a strong case here.

You first step should be to contact a solicitor - most will have a quick conversation with you without...
    26-01-2021, 08:46 AM
Working...
X