This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Important information required from all new posters

Most new threads, irrespective of the actual question(s) asked, require some basic knowledge of the original contract (Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement or AST). To avoid similar questions needing to be being asked by different advisers, a list of common questions has been agreed by a number of regular forum members:

Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?

Q4 – How long was initial fixed term (6/12/24 months / other)?

Q5 – Does the TA state that rent is due weekly? / 4-weekly? / per calendar month (if so, on what same date each month)?

Q6 – Did the TA require a tenant damage deposit to be paid? If so, on what date was this paid (dd/mm/yy)?

Q7 – If your query relates to a notice for repossession from the landlord (a Section 8 or Section 21 notice) or a tenants's notice to quit to the landlord, please provide the exact date the notice was sent/received (dd/mm/yy).

Q8 – Does the landlord live in the same property as the tenant?

Information should be anonymous, so do not name individuals / Companies.

Please provide precise dates.

If your question concerns a particular provision of your tenancy agreement, please quote the relevant clause(s) exactly.

The list above is not exhaustive; there may be further questions to clarify your answers.

It would be advantageous for new thread starters to cut & paste, then answer these FAQs as fully as possible, as part of their initial post.

I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Latest Activity

Collapse

• When to call end to tenancy
    Slepewalker
    Thoughts from experienced landlords would be appreciated. The tenancy is now periodic. The house is a modern build, in good repair and decoration.

Tenants are slow in reporting maintenance issues or, conversely, needy. We have replaced a blown light bulb as tenants did not know how...
    18-05-2019, 17:58 PM
  • Reply to When to call end to tenancy
    alice123
    if tenants smoke outside thats usually acceptable

i think that for mice well - this is a common problem but as for carpets smelling of urine ??mmmm I found i had mice in my loft a few years back and the council come down for free to put stuff down and do a survey all free maybe you could...
    19-05-2019, 23:22 PM
  • deposit and damage
    shiraaz
    Hi all
    I've read quite a few of the posts here about deposit returns and deductions. Renewals of on going tenancies, unprotected deposits but I still have some questions

A tenant moved in Oct 2015 and vacated on 29th April. (I have 6 other properties I let just for context). This...
    15-05-2019, 11:18 AM
  • Reply to deposit and damage
    alice123
    exactlly where is the deposit now ? in the scheme ? or in your pocket ?

this doesnt make sense to me --

This particular one the letting agent I use always put the deposit into a scheme themselves and when tenant vacated in 2015 they returned as there were arrears and damages...
    19-05-2019, 23:17 PM
  • Buying a tenanted property
    craig2222
    Hi I'm thinking about buying a tenanted property.Is there anything I should be weary of ? .This would be my 4th and would bring my total income to about 48000 minus mortgage interest etc.Im presuming the new tax rules would not affect me as I would still be in the basic tax bracket ?
    19-05-2019, 19:04 PM
  • Reply to Buying a tenanted property
    alice123
    if there is a tenant in there - beware
    is there some reason why the property is being sold ? is this a bad tenant ect ?
    not sure if you would be in the basic tax bracket but check that out - in a basic tax and earn 9,000 pounds plus my rental income 4000 pounds minus repairs/mortgage and...
    19-05-2019, 22:34 PM
  • i Have given up letting ......
    alice123
    just to let you all know i have given up letting - the only property i have now is where my son lives and a let that one out and hes no intention of letting me sell it either to himself or otherwise -
    i did have another property which was quite far away and the problems i had with a tenant with...
    17-05-2019, 16:10 PM
  • Reply to i Have given up letting ......
    alice123
    yes ive dont know why people on here think i dont fill in my tax return as it seems to be something that people think i do not do when i have been doing it for the past 20 years , although im a low earner and pay very little tax or usually get a return - been letting property out for 20 years and self...
    19-05-2019, 22:30 PM
  • I did not use tenancy deposit scheme help !
    abenson246
    I am a novice landlord and i took over the tenancy from the agent and they gave me the deposit . Tenets moved out and i deducted £160 from there £600 deposit for repairs . Then got a letter from a solicitor demanding 6x the deposit ! After looking in to it i now see i was in the wrong but from...
    08-04-2019, 22:41 PM
  • Reply to I did not use tenancy deposit scheme help !
    alice123
    i know of a landlord who has over 100 properties and NEVER takes a tenacny deposit simply because of this...
    19-05-2019, 21:46 PM
Working...
X