This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Important information required from all new posters

Most new threads, irrespective of the actual question(s) asked, require some basic knowledge of the original contract (Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement or AST). To avoid similar questions needing to be being asked by different advisers, a list of common questions has been agreed by a number of regular forum members:

Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?

Q4 – How long was initial fixed term (6/12/24 months / other)?

Q5 – Does the TA state that rent is due weekly? / 4-weekly? / per calendar month (if so, on what same date each month)?

Q6 – Did the TA require a tenant damage deposit to be paid? If so, on what date was this paid (dd/mm/yy)?

Q7 – If your query relates to a notice for repossession from the landlord (a Section 8 or Section 21 notice) or a tenants's notice to quit to the landlord, please provide the exact date the notice was sent/received (dd/mm/yy).

Q8 – Does the landlord live in the same property as the tenant?

Information should be anonymous, so do not name individuals / Companies.

Please provide precise dates.

If your question concerns a particular provision of your tenancy agreement, please quote the relevant clause(s) exactly.

The list above is not exhaustive; there may be further questions to clarify your answers.

It would be advantageous for new thread starters to cut & paste, then answer these FAQs as fully as possible, as part of their initial post.

I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Possession hearing
    Ash-uk
    Hi guys

i have tennants who owe me 6 months rents, and stopped paying and won’t hand the key back, served section 8 and 21, court hearing in few months,

Never been to court, so after some advice, do I need to take evidence I.e texts to show me chasing for rent and not paying...
    07-04-2019, 23:08 PM
  • Reply to Possession hearing
    spiritdreams
    I am very sorry to hear that.

You may be able to call the police for malicous damage.

Property insurance for landlords, normally do not cover malicous damage by default, only accidental, however it is usually available as part of additional premium. Check your coverage small...
    20-04-2019, 08:16 AM
    Hudson01
    I am not experienced enough to offer the advice i know you need, but is suspect (as you have seen) that the police will be of no use in this instance, they will still see it as a civil dispute right up and until the whole interior is destroyed. I am so sorry this is happening to you and i trust a member...
    20-04-2019, 07:09 AM
    Ash-uk
    Further to my earlier post

the tennants have knocked a wall that supports the exterior roof for a bay fronted roof

in th garden I can see they have ripped the toilet out and and windows

possessing hearing is 1st is may

they are gona destroy the house...
    19-04-2019, 22:08 PM
  • Slightly painful tenant
    Awesomestow
    Wondered if anyone has thoughts on use of s21 (while we still can!) when a tenant has been great at paying rent but is just very demanding - significantly more work than the other four properties combined. The main issue is mould on the walls - it’s an old building recently refitted to modern insulation...
    19-04-2019, 10:02 AM
  • Reply to Slightly painful tenant
    buzzard1994
    Tell the tenant the property is not suitable for their lifestyle and invite them to leave, s21 if they dont.
    19-04-2019, 21:45 PM
    Awesomestow
    Thanks all. I suspect leaving the whisper quiet extractor fan on will fix the problem. Hard to tell because he hasn't left it on. And if he turns that off he'll turn off a PIV system too.

MdeB - yes Jpkeates is right. Warmer air can hold more moisture so there's more water to condense...
    19-04-2019, 17:53 PM
    jpkeates
    The moisture that's in the air has to go somewhere, if the updated insulation has closed off where it used to escape, it'll hang around until it finds a cooler surface to condense on.

If a damp expert declined to do anything about it, that suggests that whatever they could do, they knew...
    19-04-2019, 17:26 PM
  • Landlord trying to keep deposit
    cherrie
    My former landlord and letting agent are trying to withheld my deposit. (England 12month AST).
    They are trying to claim I caused damage to the carpets and walls but this damage actually belongs to the second flat in the same building and was caused by the previous tenant of that flat who left...
    15-04-2019, 18:04 PM
  • Reply to Landlord trying to keep deposit
    jpkeates
    While it's common to give the Prescribed Information to the tenant with the Tenancy Agreement it can backfire if the deposit isn't actually protected at that point, because the Prescribed Information is technically not correct.

It will be almost impossible to take legal action from outside...
    19-04-2019, 17:19 PM
Working...
X