Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlords Warned Of Drugs Den Tenants

I read the following article in my local newspaper:

Landlords are being warned to be on their guard against their properties being used as drugs dens.

Police have raided or discovered a string of properties, most of them rented, across south Essex in recent months being used as cannabis factories....

...In a bid to clamp down on the menace, police are handing out leaflets to letting agents, private landlords and councils.

"These factories pose a threat to anyone in the surrounding area due to the serious fire and safety hazards. The high volume of electricity and water required to grow these plants can be a lethal combination and the high-density sodium lamps can produce noxious gases to add to the deadly environment. Some growers have been known to cut into the main electricity supply before extending cabling which is prone to overheating."
    My first thought was "How would we find out if we are not allowed to interfere with our tenants right to live peacefully?"

My second thought was "Will this create another tax on the hapless landlord depending on what Class of drug is produced?"

Don't forget that a prudent landlord will inspect his properties from time to time or establish by other means that his tenants are behaving in a "tenant like" manner. If reasonable requests for permission to visit are repeated ly refused or ignored, then there is justified cause to use a section 21 notice to get them out as soon as possible.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

These Dens are on the Rise and so are Massage Parlors/Brothels!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
        Of course they're on the rise - police in my area aren't taking any calls for the next 4 weeks while they are out checking that every pub, shop, warehouse etc has a No Smoking sign.
        ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
          Yes, but remember that a massage parlour is not illegal. Some of the workers there tend to offer additional services (and even these aren't illegal).
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

My understanding of the Brothel Laws are that no more than 2 girls can work together and noone must be in charge!! Everything above 2 girls or with a "madam" is classed as being illegal! ... We have had one open at the end of our street... no trouble as yet and they have been there 3 months!
            GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by Paragon View Post
              police in my area aren't taking any calls for the next 4 weeks while they are out checking that every pub, shop, warehouse etc has a No Smoking sign.
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but would that not be Environmental Health's job to enforce that?

Comment

I was advised to put a clause in my contract that allowed me to give 24 hours notice to view the property; and I tend to visit every couple of months or so for 10 mins, just to check everything is ok.

Just my 2 cents
                Submit your property story here

Comment

My 2 Cents is a reminder that recently raided Cannabis factories have been booby-trapped to try and kill those entering the premises.

"Drug dealers wire up the mains electricity to the doors and windows to keep rival gangs out and to protect their cannabis plants from being seized."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/display.v...ap_warning.php

Comment

Originally posted by Beeber View Post
                    My 2 Cents is a reminder that recently raided Cannabis factories have been booby-trapped to try and kill those entering the premises.

"Drug dealers wire up the mains electricity to the doors and windows to keep rival gangs out and to protect their cannabis plants from being seized."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/display.v...ap_warning.php
                    That takes the whole thing to another level yet. Horrible.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Help re flatsharing legal position!
                      CatherineCarr
                      Hello, I moved into a friend's flat when she moved out of London last year. It was agreed that I would pay market rate, would not need to pay a deposit, be able to bring various items into the flat, work from home, have a certain amount of storage etc.etc. I was also to share with my friend's then...
                      24-07-2017, 13:18 PM
                    • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
                      Wright76
                      I think your friend Emma sounds like a bit of a plonker to be honest and I'd let her get on and deal with the problematic tenant herself.

Any landlord that allows a tenant to withhold rent and then support them in such a way sadly deserves what's coming.

Unfortunately for...
                      24-07-2017, 22:36 PM
                    • Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                      pdmalik
                      Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
                      23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
                    • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                      wfd_property
                      So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
                      24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                    • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                      Manchesterlandlord
                      hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
                      24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
                    • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                      wfd_property
                      Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
                      24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
                      KTC
                      "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
                      24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
                    • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                      Jcg76
                      I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                      Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                      24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                      nukecad
                      At the moment you they pay rent and it's your property.

With rent-to-buy you are proposing that they agree, in principle, to buy the property off you after a certain time for a price agreed now.
                      And at the end of that time they can still walk away without buying.

In the...
                      24-07-2017, 20:56 PM
                      jpkeates
                      Just rent to them while they buy it and sell it to them as though they weren't tenants.
                      Anything else is fraught.

When the sale completes, they'll be their own landlord - so the lease will be academic.
                      Give them the deposit back and you're done....
                      24-07-2017, 20:28 PM
                    Working...
                    X