Electrics in new flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrics in new flat

My daughter has moved into a rented flat, she signed the paperwork at the landlords house, he stated that an electrician was working on the house but now finished. I went to the house yesterday, we put some money on the electric card but when we put the lights on the MCB kept tripping, they finally stayed on at the 6th attempt. Also the light switch when you walk through the front door has been replaced by a blank which means you have to walk to the other end of the room to turn the light on once entered. The cable for the cooker was also left live and uncovered. Question is, is a landlord not supposed to have electrics checked, like others do PAT testing on appliances, gas certificates etc, is there an electrical certificate he should show us ?
    I gave 1 months deposit for her as well, does he need to give me any proof that this money is in a secure place ?Thanks

Where is the flat, England or where?

When did the tenancy start?

When did you hand over the deposit?

Does your daughter have a tenancy agreement or is she sharing the flat?

When you say the cooker cable was live, do you meant the feed from the consumer unit to the cooker?

Is there any gas supply to the flat?

pm
    Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

Originally posted by swampydrill View Post
      Question is, is a landlord not supposed to have electrics checked, like others do PAT testing on appliances, gas certificates etc, is there an electrical certificate he should show us ?
      No, but a Landlord must ensure the electrical installation and any appliances are safe... in the example of switches and appliances etc. that really can mean just a visual check or turning them on, making sure there are no obvious hazards - it's not at the same level as gas safety requirements.

Originally posted by swampydrill View Post
      I gave 1 months deposit for her as well, does he need to give me any proof that this money is in a secure place ?
      Yes, absolutely... the law is being broken if not... but there is a time window for this to happen.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, what do you mean there is a time window, you mean for me to ask to see it.
        She moved in last Monday in Suffolk after her and her boyfriend signed a 6month short tenancy agreement, we noticed that the light switch inside the front door was covered with a blank, the landlord himself has come round now and tried to fix it but it was pretty obvious he was not an electrician, he has since sent someone else who stated that all the floorboards would need to come up in order to fix the issue and he also said it should not have been rented like this.

The gas fire does not work and the landlord has said his son will come and fix it on Monday, this is the same son who had apparently been in fixing the electrics, I am now worried that there is no real quality in the work or real knowledge that what they are doing is correct, ie, if it works then it is ok. When we tried to turn a certain light on it tripped the MCB, he stated that it was a defective bulb, I nearly pissed myself and was certainly an eye opener to what some landlords do in order to not get professionals in.
        Even though this is a private tenancy, she is going to be getting some help with housing benefits, as the council will be helping with some of the rent, do they insist on certain standards being met ?

Comment

The "son" will need to be "Gas Safe" registered to work on the gas fire.

Did you get a Gas safety certificate issued for the premises within the last 12 months from the LL?

What date did you hand over the deposit, who to?

The "time window" referred to above is the 30 days time that the LL has to protect the deposit, starting from the date he/she/Letting Agent received it, and serve the T with the Prescribed Information.

https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-deposit-p...ion/overviewpm

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...ection_schemes

pm
          Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

I deposited the months rent and a deposit via a bank transfer on the day they moved in which is last Monday, they signed the paperwork 2 days before they moved in as I had only just come back into the country from work, there was no agent involved. I will ask if he is gas safe registered and also ask for the gas certificate, is this a legal requirement as well having a certificate for a rental property ?, is it also a legal thing that he has to protect the deposit ?. I am worried about the electrics and the way that he landlord thinks he can fix anything, but obviously can't.

Comment

Current Gas Certificate, issued within the last 12 months, is a legal requirement. Think of the potential risks of unsafe gas appliances carbon monoxide poisoning etc. IIWM I would buy a couple of detectors now, just for peace of mind. I know you should not have to, I know it is the LL's responsibility to maintain a safe house, but why risk it?

Deposit protection is a legal requirement. 30 days from cleared funds.

Electrics must be safe, ideally they would have been checked every 5 years in a rental property, 10 years in your own domestic property. If an electrician has state that the place should not have been rented in the current state I would consider getting an assessment done self. I know you should not have to as it is the LL's responsibility, but again your daughter is living there, why risk anything?

On what you have found and posted here I would not trust your LL with his obligations at all. I would start to look at everything closely.

Is there a gas boiler? How many gas fires? What does the wiring look like what colour conductors in the cables or flex is in use? Do the sockets, switches and fittings look recent or old?

pm

Comment

Yes, there looks like a very old boiler in the bathroom, switches do not look old. The landlord seems like a really nice guy who looks after 3 properties in his spare time for his mother in law. I will ask him for these items and see what he comes up with, I think there is a legal issue with non trained electrical people working on a property as well but not sure.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Lodgers left without notice
                  by Stew
                  Try and look at this with a positive angle, at least they have left the house allowing you to re-let it when you can. They are not sat in situ and refusing to pay rent which would be far worse.

I was always told by another landlord there is no point chasing people that leave and don't pay...
                  03-04-2020, 17:31 PM
                • Lodgers left without notice
                  by hoolaholla
                  I have 2 student lodgers, I am not at the property at the moment and their rent day recently passed and neither paid rent. When I enquired it transpires they have both vacated the property and are refusing to pay any further rent, their tenancy does not officially end until July. I have a 1 month deposit...
                  03-04-2020, 16:52 PM
                  by hoolaholla
                  That isn't terribly helpful advice. I am enquiring as to my legal position and not your personal and moral opinion....
                  03-04-2020, 17:29 PM
                  by hamilton
                  It sounds to me that you are financially over-extended, if you do not have the money in the bank to cover such eventualities. I suggest you sell up, and readjust your expectation of what life owes you.
                  03-04-2020, 17:24 PM
                  by hoolaholla
                  I am confused by your response, are you suggesting that demanding another 4 months rent as per our agreement is the wrong thing to do? Why is it wrong if this was our agreement?
                  EDIT: This was in reply to Hamilton who deleted his reply....
                  03-04-2020, 17:23 PM
                  by hoolaholla
                  I was living there, but I have returned to the family home due to coronavirus. The house is now unoccupied, its alright for them to deny their responsibilities but I have a mortgage and without such a luxury. It is so unfair.
                  03-04-2020, 17:12 PM
                • Reply to COVID-19: Court hearing section 8 vacated
                  by Stew
                  Given that not much can be done court wise re eviction this tenant's issues clearly had nothing to do with Covid could the landlord at least raise a money claims via the online service?

Assuming that the tenant does not have a valid concern with you as a landlord and the eviction would...
                  03-04-2020, 17:10 PM
                • COVID-19: Court hearing section 8 vacated
                  by syrbag
                  A court hearing planned for 23 March for rent arrears vacated, tenant 5 months without paying rent, rent paid 2 months in advance. tenant not picking calls and not taking advantage of the COVID-19 situation. anyone in a similar situation and what is the best way to proceed?

'This...
                  03-04-2020, 10:56 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  I don't know if you have a legally binding agreement or not.

If they signed a contract saying they would stay there for a period, they may be in breach of that contract.
                  However, you would be entitled to compensation for any loss, which seems to be nil, it's very unlikely that the...
                  03-04-2020, 17:09 PM
                  by hoolaholla
                  But where do I stand legally? Whatever the current crisis, we still have a legally binding agreement, no?
                  03-04-2020, 17:03 PM
                Working...
                X