How long to serve N5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to serve N5?

I'm in the process of evicting an AST tenant. A N5 possession order (PO) has been submitted, the tenant objection date passed at the end of September and an application has been made to court. Can somebody tell what happens now and how long things normally take.

I'm told it takes the courts take about 2 weeks to grant the PO, is that right?

Once I have the PO, do I have to serve it or do the courts post it direct?

How long do the tenants normally get to vacate?

If they don't vacate do I have to arrange the bailiffs or do they go round anyway?

How long does it normally take the bailiffs to go round and evict?

If the bailiffs have to go round, do they tell me before they go, or do they just go as soon as they can?

Length of time depends on your court - ring and ask.

The courts post the order and it will give up to 42 days (in case of hardship) but as no defence could be 14-21 days to vacate.

If they don't vacate you fill out another form for the court bailiff at cost of £110. You can ring and ask them how long their call will be. Because you have paid the bailiff will attend.

You can also fast track this having paid another fee to the High Court Enforcer -- look at posts by Vicks on this site. This will be faster but not until the expiry of the time set by the courts on the N5b.

Unless tenants are particularly vexatious they usually leave by expiry of the court set time.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

The courts were amazingly quick and the tenant has been asked to vacate by the end of October. The tenant is applying for social housing and the council have told them to stay put until the bailiffs turn up. If I apply for the bailiffs at the end of the month how long does it normally take for them to turn up?

Comment

Talk to the council yourself.
        They may accept your completed application for the bailiffs (which still costs you money, obviously) as sufficient evidence to re-house your tenant.
        Which may save some time
        Different councils appear to have different policies on this.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
          by Perce
          In what ways can small claims court impact S21 or S8 ? Does anybody has experienced?...
          29-05-2020, 22:38 PM
        • Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
          by Mavis808
          I have a Tenant Couple who have informed me this week that they can not afford the rent this month. Naturally they have blamed this on the Coronavirus however they have paid their rent 1 week late often, sometimes longer so have struggled in the past.

I kindly said I would help with a payment...
          24-05-2020, 18:20 PM
        • S21 notice
          by Uklondoner
          My tenant is on rolling contract. Since 18/04 he has not paid the rent only paid a quarter of the owed rent recently. I am ready to serve him s21. Because he is hard to talk to and being dishonest to me. Does the s21 include the time for eviction? You might say 3moths but I will say 2 weeks whatso...
          29-05-2020, 21:52 PM
        • Reply to Section 21
          by Perce
          It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
          29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
        • Section 21
          by zrux
          Hi

My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
          I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
          28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
        • Reply to Section 21
          by MdeB
          Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
          29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
        • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
          by Stew
          I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
          29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
        • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
          by MadLL
          Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
          I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
          29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
        • Reply to The tenant won't pay due rent
          by Perce
          DPT57

I agree and this is a problem. Very difficult to find someone you can trust that they would do a good job.

It looks like one has to become a solicitor first to be able to deal with solicitors. Solicitors forget half of the things you tell them, make errors, expect...
          29-05-2020, 18:52 PM
        • The tenant won't pay due rent
          by Uklondoner
          The tenant just told me he can't pay not even half and didn't apply for benefit probably doesn't know how to. He said I can call Police. What to do now? I know the government back people like him....
          18-04-2020, 18:34 PM
        Working...
        X