Deposit paid but contract not signed..help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit paid but contract not signed..help!

Hi , I'm new to this site. Can anyone help please
    I have a rental house where currently two tenants live and another was meant to be moving in next week.
    The new tenants paid her deposit and was supposed to sign her contact but before signed she now wants to pull out all together
    She has paid a deposit plus a months rent. I said Ill give her months rent back ( although I'm loosing out) but can someone tell me if she hasn't signed a contract do I have to give her the deposit back. It was £325
    Thanks

was the deposit a holding deposit until she signed the contract - and was it non refundable? what was the wording on any receipt you gave her?

Comment

Hi . Thanks for your reply. All communications were by text unfortunately as she was supposed to sign the contract the following day. It was a full deposit which was paid

Comment

A deposit needs to be supported by a contract. If the written contract was not signed you need to show that an oral contract has arisen. Where a written contract is produced the presumption is that the parties did not intend to be bound until they had both signed it. If the deposit was taken as a "holding deposit" some sort of a contract is still needed.

Comment

Lawcruncher,

Thanks very much

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
            by Lawcruncher
            The point here is though that the tenant's obligations under the tenancy cannot extend to repairing parts of the property which the landlord is under an obligation to repair.

Outside the tenancy, anyone, including a tenant, who damages property must meet the cost of repairing the damage....
            22-01-2022, 18:45 PM
          • Property damaged. Advice please
            by minorbark
            Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
            18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
          • Reply to Labour taxation plans
            by theartfullodger
            May I quote the Telegraph. on Sunak's kind gift of the highest tax burden for quite some time....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...tax-burden-70/
            22-01-2022, 18:10 PM
          • Labour taxation plans
            by steaming
            Rachel Reeves R4 this am told the interviewer that Labour (when in power) would raise money by taxing those with BTL property much more than at present, she opined it was wrong that “they” were “getting away with it”. No challenge from BBC or fact check as to present tax. You are warned.
            20-01-2022, 16:55 PM
            by SouthernDave
            The limited company system has been abused for too long by people trying to save on tax by claiming they are a company. I know loads of people of set themselves up as limted companies and have now been caught by IR35. They have spoiled it for those of us who have proper companies to rub who used to...
            22-01-2022, 17:55 PM
            by SouthernDave
            Agreed. Peoples care should not be down to those who work hard, to take from their labours. The levy is a joke and im disappointed in the conservatives for doing it.
            22-01-2022, 17:52 PM
          • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
            by SouthernDave
            I thought the main issue of taking a tenant on UC is not so much the fact they are receiving benefits, but the fact that its a pain in the proverbial to evict as the council tell them to sot tight until forced out by bailiffs....
            22-01-2022, 17:47 PM
          • Greetings, I Come in Peace
            by AVJ113
            Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
            20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
          • Reply to Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
            by AndrewDod
            I think you need to ask whether he/she is responsible for the things you say, and whether these warrant immediate attention as you think they do:

a) leaking shower - what do you mean exactly. Leak from where, when...
            b) broken burglar alarm - what is broken? What does your contract...
            22-01-2022, 16:59 PM
          • Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
            by Lucylou99
            Hi just after some advice. I have been renting the property for 4.5 years, 4 of those with a fantastic landlord and 6 months with a new landlord. When he took over he immediately increased the rent by 25%, annoying but perfectly within his rights. The main issue is maintainance and repairs. I cant report...
            21-01-2022, 22:11 PM
          Working...
          X