Deposit paid but contract not signed..help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit paid but contract not signed..help!

Hi , I'm new to this site. Can anyone help please
    I have a rental house where currently two tenants live and another was meant to be moving in next week.
    The new tenants paid her deposit and was supposed to sign her contact but before signed she now wants to pull out all together
    She has paid a deposit plus a months rent. I said Ill give her months rent back ( although I'm loosing out) but can someone tell me if she hasn't signed a contract do I have to give her the deposit back. It was £325
    Thanks

was the deposit a holding deposit until she signed the contract - and was it non refundable? what was the wording on any receipt you gave her?

Comment

Hi . Thanks for your reply. All communications were by text unfortunately as she was supposed to sign the contract the following day. It was a full deposit which was paid

Comment

A deposit needs to be supported by a contract. If the written contract was not signed you need to show that an oral contract has arisen. Where a written contract is produced the presumption is that the parties did not intend to be bound until they had both signed it. If the deposit was taken as a "holding deposit" some sort of a contract is still needed.

Comment

Lawcruncher,

Thanks very much

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by Lawcruncher
            Just to clarify, what I meant was that the requirement comes from the tenancy terms if they include it....
            29-01-2022, 08:38 AM
          • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by Piffy
            I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
            27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
          • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
            by Flashback1966
            or just work hard and hopefully take an early retirement.

You can't predict the future. Things always go in cycle. They want to get rid of Section 21, so you may be unable to get your property back. You may end up working and subsidising your rentals....
            29-01-2022, 03:42 AM
          • Reply to Renting rooms
            by DoricPixie
            It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
            28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
          • Renting rooms
            by Luke
            I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
            I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
            I do not intend to live at the property
            Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
            As its...
            28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
          • Reply to Renting rooms
            by DoricPixie
            I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
            28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
          • Reply to Renting rooms
            by theartfullodger
            Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
            28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
          • Reply to Renting rooms
            by Hudson01
            If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
            28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
          • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by jpkeates
            That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
            The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
            28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
          Working...
          X