Drug use in a letted property, advice please!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    pm - I don't want to get into a protracted debate about the definition of 'knowingly', not least because I agree with you and thesaint that the chances of police/cps prosecuting anyway are close to zero. In the example I gave, where one of the tenants reports directly to the landlord that this is happening, then I happen to believe that would be enough to be 'knowingly'.

    And I also agree with you that the right thing to do as landlord in that situation is a quick call to police/crimestroppers, whether it qualifies as knowingly or not - better to cover your back.

    I don't think T2 has any claim against the landlord for any kind of misrepresentation or anything else. The actions are purely those of his co-tenant which may or may not have been present before they signed to live together for a fixed term.


    Latest Activity


    • Reply to Tenancy Agreement Help
      by theartfullodger
      Sounds like some education in how to be a landlord might be wise. When I started I thought I knew what I was doing. I didn't, expensive, stupid, mistakes! If you think education is expensive, try ignorance....
      26-05-2022, 19:52 PM
    • Tenancy Agreement Help
      by Harrison38784
      Hi all,

      I am a new landlord and looking for some help with the AST.

      I have created a tenancy agreement which is now ready for signing.

      The tenancy agreement is due to start on the 1st July.

      Can the tenancy agreement be signed before the move in...
      26-05-2022, 18:02 PM
    • Reply to Special clauses
      by theartfullodger
      Agreed, break clauses very very easy to get wrong.

      Much simpler, easier, more flexibility to evict, fixed term 6 months then periodic....
      26-05-2022, 19:50 PM
    • Special clauses
      by Harrison38784
      Hi All,

      I want to add the following break clause into my AST, but I’m wondering if I do so, do I also need to give my tenant also a break clause?

      ‘The Landlord may terminate this agreement by giving the Tenant not less than 2 months' written notice expiring [on or at any...
      26-05-2022, 18:16 PM
    • Reply to Agreement for friends to live in my house
      by Hudson01
      Well you have heard the opinions of a great many very experienced landlords........ you are taking a very big risk with this, you say you don't need the money, so why take the risk ? Leave it empty and come back to it still....... empty, there is zero guarantee they will move out, friends or not.
      26-05-2022, 19:38 PM
    • Agreement for friends to live in my house
      by Tippy
      I cannot find a definitive answer to my question by googling so here goes.

      I have a house that I wish to allow a family who are close friends to live in while I live abroad as UK non-resident. I am trying to work out what sort of contract I should make between us.

      I don't mind...
      26-05-2022, 08:48 AM
    • Reply to Tenancy Agreement Help
      by ash72
      You created the AST, or you got it from somewhere?

      You can get the AST signed before someone moves in (how soon would they actually move in?) and when are you giving the keys?

      You should have a Guarantor's specific agreement if your going down that route, these days they can...
      26-05-2022, 18:24 PM
    • Reply to Special clauses
      by KTC
      Generally yes, landlord only break clause is an unfair term. There's really only very limited reasons to have break clause in typical residential letting. Just do a 6 months fixed term and then let it roll periodic.
      26-05-2022, 18:23 PM
    • Reply to Access to neighbouring property act.
      by Neelix
      i only pointed this out because so many people don’t realise this.

      so there’s no point in blocking access IMHO...
      26-05-2022, 18:12 PM
    • Reply to Lodger is in police custody for weeks or years. What to do with lodger's possessions?
      by Hudson01
      If the landlord does this then the storage company would come after him as it's he who has the contract witht them, not sure i would do this. I would though ask the Police to pass on the ex lodgers legal representitive, he or she will be in contact with the alleged offender and they can ask him what...
      26-05-2022, 17:36 PM