When could LLs start arranging viewings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by chrislo View Post
    Just a quick question: Suppose one month notice has been given to the T, when could the LL start bringing in prospective Ts for viewing?
    In practice, whenever the tenant agrees to a request from the landlord or agent.

Because if the landlord/agent can't show people round before you move out they'll lose money,
    they'll be keen to do it as much as they can as early as they can.
    Because it's your home and you don't want people wondering through it or being pressured to keep it tidy,
    and there's nothing in it for you, you'll want it done as little as possible or not at all.

Ideally a civilised discussion can be had, and a limited number of viewings arranged at convenient times.
    This is not always possible as the incentives for both parties are different
    (and, as a personal observation, most letting agents don't know how to instigate a sensible conversation with a tenant).

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    It is a bit tricky to get the drafting right. The new government tenancy agreement goes some way to addressing the problem but still does not cover the position once an SPT arises.

Leave a comment:

• elniinio
    replied
    I had to deal with this earlier in the year for a friend. She had gone SPT, received a s 21 (invalid but not relevant) and in the TA she had agreed 'to permit viewings during the last 8 weeks of the tenancy'. LA was being very aggressive in trying to arrange viewings at first, but backed off once they realised they were wrong.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Originally posted by elniinio View Post
    c.....The bit about 'last 28 days of the tenancy' can also be a bit misleading if it is in the contract depending on the wording, as the last 28 days is only known in the case of the tenant serving a notice to quit or when you have a bailiff date - a s21 remember does not end the tenancy. ....
    Very good point elniinio... Never thought that one through: Although it could be argued that as any periodic, month-by-month, tenancy is a "new" one then the last 28 days is certain... Shame nobody will ever bring a test case... I suspect...

Leave a comment:

• elniinio
    replied
    chrislo - if you haven't agreed to viewings in the tenancy agreement then you can now agree what you like with the landlord or agent. What you do depends on what you want. As others have suggested, if you are on good terms with this landlord and want a good reference, you might be as well to agree to appropriate viewings. However, if you're not on good terms or don't care about the reference then you can refuse any viewings. The bit about 'last 28 days of the tenancy' can also be a bit misleading if it is in the contract depending on the wording, as the last 28 days is only known in the case of the tenant serving a notice to quit or when you have a bailiff date - a s21 remember does not end the tenancy. Have you served a notice to quit yet?

Leave a comment:

• pokmo
    replied
    Most written tenancy agreements have a clause in them about viewings, often during the last 28 days of the tenancy.

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    why not say that you will accept viewings only on a certain day and time during last month (eg Sat at 2pm till 3pm for example)?

Leave a comment:

• chrislo
    replied
    Sorry, I missed mariner's question earlier. The LL gave it to me.

I guess I'm not too concerned about getting a good ref - from experience, some friends of mine with bad ref (and even without any ref at all) still managed to get flats so I'm not sure how crucial a good ref is...

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Who gave notice to whom, please?

Leave a comment:

• chrislo
    replied
    Originally posted by thesaint View Post
    There is nothing that gives a landlord permission to do viewings without the agreement of the tenant.
    Also, you say one months notice has been given, what type of tenancy do you have?
    Sorry, typo. It's a 2 month notice.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    Who gave Notice you or LL?
    Will you hope for a good ref from this LL?

Leave a comment:

• thesaint
    replied
    There is nothing that gives a landlord permission to do viewings without the agreement of the tenant.
    Also, you say one months notice has been given, what type of tenancy do you have?

Leave a comment:

• Wannadonnadoodah
    replied
    It's down to you at the end of the day. It's your home but the LL's house. If you don't allow viewing s then be prepared to get notice to leave served on you as a consequence, which wouldn't be much of a consequence as it stands. You can block access to your home and stipulate when you want the viewings to take place if you want. The ball is in your court although it won't feel like it when the LA starts to put the pressure on.

Leave a comment:

• chrislo
    replied
    The agreement doesn't specify when viewings can take place.

I'm a tenant.

Leave a comment:

• thesaint
    replied
    What does the tenancy agreement state?
    Who are you?

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
    by doobrey
    My view would be that it is best for all concerned to bring the tenancy to an end.

If he gives notice, that ends the tenancy for both of them on expiry of that notice. This puts you in a considerably stronger position than if you give him notice (in which case you may well have to then...
    19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
  • What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
    by HMOmike
    I have a house rented on a standard AST to the same tenant since 2016. He has rented at other properties of mine on a single room basis for maybe 10 years prior and is a decent guy and very reliable. He is a Latvian and in 2017 he married a lady from Ukraine. He adopted his wife’s son and all 3 have...
    19-05-2022, 15:35 PM
  • Reply to Single parent renting
    by Dct
    She wants to move for reasons that are personal to her, I can't act as her gaurantor I'm the one helping her with her kids and I'm no position to do this. Some landlords need to give their heads a wobble and give single parents the benefit of the doubt
    19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
  • Single parent renting
    by Dct
    A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
    18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
    by KTC
    It would be a normal non-accelerated claim for possession, not a possession claim against trespassers occupying. Someone who stayed after their notice to quit and hence their tenancy has expired are trespassers, but they didn't originally entered as a trespassers (since they had a tenancy) so the normal...
    19-05-2022, 18:11 PM
    by HMOmike
    Thank you I never realised that they could jointly or severally give notice and that would end the contract for all, but it does make sense and you put it so clearly, thank you. How do I take it to court for possession? I have a reasonable grasp of S21 and S8 and have been to court for possession and...
    19-05-2022, 18:02 PM
  • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
    by jpkeates
    The problem is that the agent isn't bound by the tenancy agreement, and what they do with the deposit depends on their agreement with you.

As you can't do anything with the deposit anyway, because it's the company's money and they don't agree that you can have any of it, it's a bit academic...
    19-05-2022, 15:57 PM
  • Is my estate agent misleading me?
    by abimsalabim
    I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
    18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
    by jpkeates
    If the tenancy is joint and several, and it's in a periodic tenancy, one tenant can serve notice and that ends the tenancy for both of them. So you don't have to serve notice on anyone if you don't want to.
    That bit is simple.

The issue you will then face is that neither of them or...
    19-05-2022, 15:51 PM
  • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
    by abimsalabim
    The tenant agreement states that the Landlord should hold onto the deposit until the dispute is resolved but, the agent is disputing this, claiming that they are the ones to hold onto the deposit as part of their Full Management Service...
    19-05-2022, 15:31 PM
Working...
X