Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord wants full rent during notice even if new tenants in the flat

Hi,

First, my apologies if I am in the wrong category or if the question has already been asked. I search on the forum but I didn't find anything.

To tell you more about my problem. I am currently renting a flat in London. I gave one month notice to my landlord to leave the flat. So my tenancy agreement will ended on the 19th October. However I will move on the 12th and I said the room will be available sooner (it is in a flat-share). The landlord found new tenants for the room and they will move before the end of my tenancy agreement and he ask me to pay until the end even if there is new tenants in the room. I supposed they will start to pay as soon as they will be in the flat...

If it is not mentioned in the tenancy agreement that the notice has to be paid completely event if there is new tenants, is it legal ?

Thank you very much for your answer.

Does the landlord live in the flat also?

No, a landlord cannot receive rent twice on the same property.

How long was your tenancy for and how long have you been there?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Thank you for you answer.

No the landlord doesn't live in the flat.
      The tenancy was for a minimum of 6 months and I have been there since January.
      If he insist to have all the rent how can I defense myself ? Is there a law who mentioned that the notice is break if there is new tenants ? Because If I paid only until the first day of new tenants he will probably take a part of my deposit.

(Sorry if my english is not correct, I am not english)

Thank you

Comment

Is your deposit protected and were you given the details of where it was protected within 30 days of giving the deposit to the landlord?
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I was just arrived in england and as the landlord asked for a cash deposit I didn't know I had to do any protection. I heard about that later but I thought it was the landlord responsibility to do it (maybe it was naive...)

I suppose it is not good ?

Thank you

Comment

You did not have tp protect the depsit, the LL did & within 30 days of receipt.
            Did you get a written receipt for cash deposit>
            Does AST state amount of deposit required?

Comment

Ok. For the deposit, it was written on the tenancy agreement I think. I haven't it with me to check.

I don't understand you last question. What is "AST" ?

Thanks

Comment

AST = Assured Shorthold Tenancy - in other words the tenancy agreement.

Comment

Thanks, so if I understand the question, the tenancy agreement mentioned the global deposit for all the flat, not per room. (just to remind I am in a flat share)

Comment

LudoF - When the landlord took the deposit from you legally he had to place it in a scheme and give you documents (called PI) telling you where it was to be kept.

If he did not do this you may have a very good case against him for not protecting your deposit - which is a separate matter.

Comment

Thank you for your answer.

Now I know he can't ask us to pay if there is someone in the room. And it is good to know for the deposit, even if it i another matter, I could tell him about it and maybe he will be afraid...

Last question, if there is a real conflict (but I want to avoid that of course), is there any services who can help me ?

Thanks a lot for your answers

Comment

Yes he may well 'be afraid' - as you put it but he may also be ignorant as to what he should have done with the deposit. That is no excuse for him though.

You could contact Shelter the housing charity or go to a CAB (Citizens Advice Bureau) or some solicitors off 30 mins free to discuss a case. Or you can come back to this site and ask more questions.

Comment

Ok.
                          Again thank you very much, you answers was very helpful.

If I other questions I will considerate to contact one of those are come back here.

Have a nice weekend

Comment

Did you have a contract just with your name on it and just for your room, or did you have a contract for the whole flat which has all flat sharers names on it? Did you all move in at the same or different times?

Comment

Helle Elniinio,

It is one contract for all the persons who live in the flat. We all move in different times. But when the last one came, we all signed the tenancy agreement again.
                              Does that change something ?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X