Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with tenancy deposit dispute

Hello,

I am a tenant hoping to get some perspective on my deposit dispute with the landlord. We lived in the apartment for 26 months. At the end of the tenancy the inspection was carried out and the house has been left in an overall very good and tidy condition. Apart from a couple of minor deductions which are not disputed - the landlord wants to charge 200 pounds for a stain left on the wall which we were not even aware of and also 300 pounds for either water stain or stain from limescale remover use on the side of the bath which is negligible and no structural damage to tiles or the flooring. I will really appreciate if anyone can help me with -

a. are these legitimate deductions
    b. if the deductions are valid then should they cost that much

I really do appreciate the help. This is the first time I have had a dispute and I am not really sure what to make of these deductions.

Thank you

stain.jpgbath.jpg

Such deductions are valid, subjest to condition recorded on move in inventory.Compensation level is anyone's guess.
    Best to raise a dispute for disputed amounts with DPS ADR scheme if deposit was protected or start SCC action for deposit return.
    Did you leave after serving valid NTQ or in response to LL s21?

Comment

We left after serving valid NTQ and the deposit is protected. The stains have occurred during tenancy and an inspection was carried out both at the start and at the end so it is recorded as well. If you think it is a valid deduction then can we not raise a claim asking it to be classified as normal wear and tear? Do you think that it might be better if we ask for a more reasonable deduction rather than no deduction. Thank you for the help. Much appreciated.

Comment

Noticeable stains are rarely FW&T but you are able to initiate DPS ADR foc and let them adjudicate LLs claim for each item, which could be reduced significantly. Let Adj decide if he believss stains are FW&T.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Statutory periodic tenancy vs contractural periodic tenancy.
          buttons
          Having learned that a tenant without giving notice is still liable for council tax if a contractural periodic tenancy comes onto force at the end of a 6 month fixed term simply by adding this to the agreement, are there any disadvantages for a Landlord in adding this to a contract such as a change in...
          17-07-2019, 18:23 PM
        • Reply to Statutory periodic tenancy vs contractural periodic tenancy.
          Lawcruncher
          If my definition of a fixed term tenancy is correct, that is that it is a tenancy which only has one possible end date (excluding any early termination by surrender, forfeiture, exercise of a right to break or whatever other than effluxion of time) then a tenancy granted for any length of time and expressed...
          18-07-2019, 17:12 PM
        • Part of deposit not protected
          coppernob
          Hi all,

Last December we entered into an AST (initial 6 month fixed term) and paid a deposit of £900, which included a £200 pet deposit for our dog. This full £900 was put into the a deposit protection scheme.

Towards the end of January we wished to get another dog, and...
          16-07-2019, 10:26 AM
        • Reply to Part of deposit not protected
          DPT57
          Tell the landlord that if he repays you the deposit in full from his own funds, you will agree to him retaining the full deposit that's in the DPS account. It shouldn't be beyond his means to front fund this for 30 days....
          18-07-2019, 16:40 PM
        • Best option
          Locornwall
          I am considering buying a bungalow. It has a garage to the front and in a large rear garden, an outbuilding.

When considering making money from a possible lodge or Airbnb, what would you say is my best option? Maybe to convert the garage and provide extra room for an in house lodger or...
          18-07-2019, 13:57 PM
        • Reply to Best option
          jpkeates
          It was mentioned, but the main debate in that thread is whether the use of some kind of granny flat would be a lodger or a tenancy arrangement.
          So mostly about people living there.

Creating a situation where people stay somewhere temporarily is a different thing (it seems to me)....
          18-07-2019, 15:18 PM
        • Finding replacement tenant
          Chihuahua1461
          Hi guys,

Looking for some help or advice. I am currently renting from a private landlord in a shared living arrangement in the UK.

My current 12 month (and then rolling monthly) lease is due to end. In the contract it stipulates it is my responsibility to find a replacement...
          18-07-2019, 00:19 AM
        • Reply to Finding replacement tenant
          jpkeates
          I don't think the indefinite contract things going to fly.
          This is a straightforward lease with an initial term that continues in some (oddly undefined) way.

The only unusual thing about it is that the terms of the continuation aren't defined, which they normally would be - so there...
          18-07-2019, 15:14 PM
        • Reply to Finding replacement tenant
          Chihuahua1461
          Fingers crossed an expert will spot this as you say leaseholder64 - tell me their name, I'm not privy to such etiquette 😁

So it looks like I have to find a replacement prior to leaving then? Any previous tenants I have known have done this. It just makes it difficult to find myself a...
          18-07-2019, 15:06 PM
        • Reply to Best option
          leaseholder64
          AirBnB was raised, by the OP, in the original thread,
          18-07-2019, 14:35 PM
        Working...
        X