How do I get access to show prospective tenants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get access to show prospective tenants?

New member, please bare with me. My existing tenants are moving out and have given a month notice. However, they are refusing to allow ANY viewing at ANY time until they leave. I have offered to give then as much notice as they need and at their convenience but they have simply said no. I do not want to be nasty however, all my polite efforts have been simply refused. Biggest worry for me is the property being empty for considerable time losing rent until I find prospective tenants. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Ta.

Not alot you can do. I presume there is a clause in their contract about viewings that they are breaking. The ultimate sanction for breaking that clause would be to give them notice. The best suggestion I can come up with is to send prospective tenants round to have a look at the outside and the area and then hold an open day the day after the T's have moved out.
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

You should factor in a void period. It's not nice, but a reality.
      If your contract states nothing about allowing access for viewings, then they don't need to grant you access.

When is the last time you viewed the property to check on it's condition?
      Are you 100% sure that they have given you the correct notice?
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I need to go & double check the contract. I guess there is no point in giving them notice as they are moving out anyway.

Comment

They gave me notice over the phone and I'm happy to accept it. I visited the property on Sunday and was like a tip which probably is the reason why they don't want any viewings.

Comment

There is also little point in trying to enforce anything in the agreement that was intended to get them to accept viewings in the last 2 months or 2 weeks or whatever. They've clearly said "no viewings at any time" and you're unlikely to get around this. You've been nice and polite, you can now stamp your feet and threaten, but if they're so-minded, then they can just take it as bluff and bluster... which it really is, I mean - you're not going to say "As allowed by our agreement, I'm turning-up at 18:00 on Thursday with prospective Tenants in tow" that would be suicide... they'd be ex-prospective Tenants pretty quickly. I think you're going to have to accept the void and just try and make it as short as you possibly can... a different strategy, for sure, but a realistic one.

Comment

Originally posted by infused View Post
              I need to go & double check the contract. I guess there is no point in giving them notice as they are moving out anyway.
              Which was the point I was making.
              "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

If the contract allows you to show tenants round with sufficient notice etc,
                you can threaten to sue for loss of rental income caused by their failure to fulfil their part of the contract.

You'd almost certainly not succeed if you actually sue them (you'd have to prove the loss and that's very difficult to do, even at the balance of probabilities threshold).
                But it's a decent threat.

It's probably re trouble than it's worth, though.

How about your access to check on the condition of the place (as that's going to be a factor in the length of the void).
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hippogriff,

Perhaps that's inevitable. Part of the problem is they have trashed the property in the last few months (fine when I visited in July) which probably will add to the delay in renting out. As much as the law is in favour of the tenants, which I fully support, the landlords are somewhat treated as villans with no empathy which is unfair.

Comment

jpkeates,

I don't want to go down that route, as you rightly point out, its just not worth the trouble especially towards the end of tenancy. My estimate is minimum 2 week to redecorate and if all goes well another 2 weeks or so to bring in tenants. Perhaps I can overlap showing prospective tenants during redecoration, which I want to avoid.

Comment

And mentally spin the refusal to allow viewings into a positive... any viewings you conducted now would likely have people running for the hills. The Landlord standing there, assuring them that "all this will be cleared and cleaned before you move in" wouldn't sit well with many, so I reckon they'd be looking elsewhere... best to get these loser tramps out and then take a little bit of time to make the property spick-and-span... then it will perform to its best.

Comment

Very true... but very frustrating as well.

Comment

I don't understand the problem? Give them 48 hours notice that on Friday morning at 10am you will be there to inspect your property. Whether you go alone, with a prospective tenant, or with the Queen of Sheba is irrelevant.

Or have I missed something salient?

Sounds like you will be preparing to deduct from their deposit for cleaning and redecorating.

Comment

Annoyed tenants, wandering around and a property thats a *hit tip does not make for a good prospective tenant viewing.

Comment

I do normally call them a week in advance when I need to visit the property and never have had any issues. But cant do the same when I have prospective tenants with me. As others have pointed out it wont be a pleasant situation and likely to put off prospective tenants. I will need to assess the property once they vacate to determine how much is wear and tear before charging for any damage.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X