Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inventory after two years?

Hi,

tried looking around on the forum but couldn't find anyone who has a similar issue as mine.

Our oven broke about a month ago, and I've persistently asked my LL to repair it but they have been stalling the whole process. Now the LL is asking to do an inventory of the property, two years after we moved in.

The reason for this is simple, the LL is quite stingy and before we've had a problem with the fridge literally freezing food rather than keeping it cold and the LL trying to blame us for this.

It seems the LL is sick of us having faulty appliances and wants to do an inventory, but under what basis can an inventory be done after two years? LL did, without our consent, send someone at the start of initial tenancy send some unknown person to take pictures of the property.

In any case, should I let LL go ahead with this or can I out right refuse this? I find it, to be honest, ridiculous to conduct the inventory after such a long span of time and am really unsure as to what legal implications this will have on us, if any.

Thanks

The landlord has a statutory right to enter our property to check its "state of repair".
    There might be something in your tenancy agreement.

They have to give notice and you can refuse to let them in or insist on a convenient time (your rights and the landlords rights conflict).

On the other hand - while the landlord is stingy, I don't see what harm it does.
    You can always not agree to sign anything - and an inventory after two years doesn't seem to help either of you.
    If nothing else, the landlord would confirm that the oven isn't working.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The landlord has to right to come in and take an inventory. If he does it will just be an inventory. Your obligations are as set out in the tenancy agreement.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, will take them into consideration

One final question with regards to this.

Isn't it the landlord's responsibility to fix the appliances, provided tenant didn't purposefully defect them?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X