Ending Assured Shorhold Tenancy Agreement before I moved in.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ending Assured Shorhold Tenancy Agreement before I moved in.

I am a student and in April put my e-signature on joint assured short hold tenancy agreement with two others for a house, the lease started at the start on july. Not long after I did this I decided I would not be going back to uni and therefore cannot afford the room. I told the estate agent and they said they would put my room on the market but I would still be liable to pay until a replacement was found.

I did not give them a deposit. I did not give a gaurantour and I was not given the key to the property so need to know should I still have to pay considering these factors?

And is it likely they would take me to court for this? The rent I iowe them so for is near to a grand.

Why haven't your housemates tried to find someone? Aren't they also liable for the missing rent?

Comment

They would be liable even though it was advertisesed per person. We have been looking and put it up on numerous sites with no luck. The estate agent said they would but didn't until I asked them about it a month later. they then lied about how long it had been advertised for, which is irrelevent because it isn't upto them but they obviously don't mind ripping off naive students.

Comment

I think if both the agents and your housemates are daft enough not to market the property- at a time of year when I'd have thought someone would snatch their hand off,- I would let them carry the can for this.

If either sue you, I would use that as your defence.

Comment

I can't leave it to my housemates because its my choice, I've already messed them about by not going in it. It has been advertised for a few months but no one seems to want it.

Sorry could you explain that last part again, use what as my defence?

Comment

Oh okay I get that now but my house mates are my friends and couldn't leave it down to them to pay my debt

Comment

Presumably your housemates also knew that you weren't moving in, and that they would be jointly liable?

Why didn't they put up flyers or ask around where they work/study?

Similarly why didn't the agent market the property when it knew you weren't moving in?

Both of them are 'on site' whereas I guess you are many miles away, so can't really be expected to help.

I doubt either will sue you, but if either does, I would point out what I suggest here.

Comment

Although it would be nice to think that the landlord/agent might help,
                they have no obligation to.

The agent landlord is simply going to expect the rent to be paid.
                They don't care who has to pay it (legally or probably actually).

The OP's change of mind post contract has screwed his future housemates.
                They might sue the OP for breach of contract - the Landlord/Agent doesn't need to.
                Provided the other two pay the rent.

In an ideal world the OP would pay 1/3 of the property rent as they agreed to.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by ga05cm View Post
                  I am a student and in April put my e-signature on joint assured short hold tenancy agreement with two others
                  You mean your friends clicked a box for you? Did you actually sign anything using pen and paper? Was it witnessed?

Don't say anything silly on email and you may be lucky and find they have insufficient evidence to win in the small claims court.

Comment

the reality is that you gave your word, you agreed, irrespective of whether it was e signature or not

the real question is - are you going to live the rest of your life with no integrity, when you say (agree) you are going to do something, but then don't do it ? the issue isn't about what you can do, its about what you should do, if you have no integrity, what do you have?

Comment

Speak to the accommodations officer at the Uni. They might have someone waiting for a room.

Comment

Originally posted by wfd_property View Post
                        You mean your friends clicked a box for you? Did you actually sign anything using pen and paper? Was it witnessed?

Don't say anything silly on email and you may be lucky and find they have insufficient evidence to win in the small claims court.
                        I clicked the box but haven't signed anything with pen and paper which was witnessed by my housemates but they would say they didn't see it. All I have said to them in an email is asking them why they haven't put it back on the market and by the sounds of it they really don't want it to go to court so hopefully you are right.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
                          the reality is that you gave your word, you agreed, irrespective of whether it was e signature or not

the real question is - are you going to live the rest of your life with no integrity, when you say (agree) you are going to do something, but then don't do it ? the issue isn't about what you can do, its about what you should do, if you have no integrity, what do you have?
                          Hey man I just came on here for some legal advice to get out of a situation. Don't need to be preached to. There's no way for me to go ahead with it because I'm not in uni anymore.

Comment

Okay thankyou

Comment

There is also one other factor they have spelt my name wrong on the form I have signed if that could account for anything

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X