Leaky pipe liability

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Leaky pipe liability

    Hello everyone.

    I bought my first BTL last year but have encountered a problem.

    There has been a leak ongoing for at least a couple of months which has involved water from the mains leaking into the drainage pipe under the sink.
    The leak is not visible or audible, therefore my tenant has never reported it to me since she has been unaware of it.
    However, she has been left with a massive water bill and also yesterday the leak produced a flood which ruined some of her belongings.

    My question is: am I liable for her inflated water bill and am I liable for her ruined belongings?

    #2
    You will be responsible for the actual repair of the leaking pipe, the consequential damage should be paid by your insurance company, you do have insurance I hope. Does you tenant have a contents policy as well?

    I had a similar case a couple of years ago where a subfloor pipe burst, the pipe repair cost about £15 to repair, the floor replacement cost £6000.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by shelleyg View Post
      water from the mains leaking into the drainage pipe under the sink.
      How on earth does that happen? Did she leave the tap running?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        How on earth does that happen? Did she leave the tap running?
        I haven't seen it myself but it was my pipes which were at fault. She didn't leave a tap running.

        Comment


          #5
          It sounds fishy to me. I wouldn't be making any offers until you have inspected yourself, and ascertain exactly what happened.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by jta View Post
            You will be responsible for the actual repair of the leaking pipe, the consequential damage should be paid by your insurance company, you do have insurance I hope. Does you tenant have a contents policy as well?

            I had a similar case a couple of years ago where a subfloor pipe burst, the pipe repair cost about £15 to repair, the floor replacement cost £6000.
            I do have insurance. So should my tenant bill me for the inflated water bill and her damaged belongings then I claim from my insurance?

            The tenant doesn't have contents insurance, although it probably wouldn't be fair of me to expect her to pay to insure her belongings against faults of mine.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by JK0 View Post
              It sounds fishy to me. I wouldn't be making any offers until you have inspected yourself, and ascertain exactly what happened.
              The plumber has now fixed the problem. He confirmed that it was my pipes which were at fault.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by shelleyg View Post
                I do have insurance. So should my tenant bill me for the inflated water bill and her damaged belongings then I claim from my insurance?

                The tenant doesn't have contents insurance, although it probably wouldn't be fair of me to expect her to pay to insure her belongings against faults of mine.
                I'm r

                Of course she should be insured!

                I'm renting at tthe moment while house hunting, my contents policy costs £4.71 a month.

                Your policy will probably only cover your own goods up to about £5000. I hope you have a public liability cover in there as well.
                I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

                Comment


                  #9
                  What I don't get is if everyone is insured against damage from the other party, then what is the point in taking money from the deposit?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    But your T did not even have contents insurance for her own personal property!
                    The deposit is for T damage to LLs property at end of T.
                    Whilst your water pipe was the source of the leak, what was the cause?
                    A leak, draining into waste pipe over 2 months, shouldn't cause a sudden, massive flood.
                    What personal items is T claiming for?
                    I would want answers from plumber and personal inspection first.
                    How much metered water does T claim she was charged for? I assume you have some before/after meter readings for comparison.

                    Comment

                    Latest Activity

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X