What exactly is the Date of Agreement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly is the Date of Agreement?

How should it relate (if at all) to the date of signing and the commencement date of the term?
    Assume I know nothing.

I have never seen a tenancy agreement have all three.
    Saying that, they does not have to be any correlation between any of them.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

To avoid too many permutations, the following does not take account of cases where a written agreement records an oral agreement already made and assumes it has been agreed that there will be no agreement until formalised in writing signed by both parties.

The date of agreement is the date the agreement is made. In the absence of agreement to the contrary, a simple agreement (that is one not made by deed) is made when the last signature required is appended to the document. The day on which the last signature is appended (or the agreement otherwise comes into effect) is the day on which the agreement is made and the day which the document should be dated.

The date of signing is a question of fact and there can of course be more than one date of signing.

The commencement date is whatever date the parties agree the tenancy begins and does not have to be the agreement date or signature date.

Comment

Lawpack website says:

Date of agreement

The agreement can be dated at any time after you and the tenant have signed it. This date should be the same as the date on which the term is to begin.
        So what is the relevance of Date of Agreement?

I have always assumed that it is simply the date on which the agreement was made and signed. This only really causes me a problem when referring to an as yet unsigned tenancy agreement dated X in a guarantor document as I need to predict when it will be signed. But would it be ok for tenants to sign after the Date of Agreement? Or should I just make it the same as the Term commencement date?

Is this solved by leaving the signatures undated?

Or do I need a Date of Agreement at all?

Would it suffice that a guarantor doc refers to the names of the tenants, address and the date of commencement of the term (I also get the guarantor to sign a counterpart tenancy agreement).
        Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Lawcruncher,

Thanks. I crossed posts with you.

So in effect does this mean it would be ok to not have a stated Date of Agreement but date all signatures (or prove when they were signed)?

Would a guarantor document referring to the tenants names, the address and commencement date - but no stated Date of Agreement - suffice, where the guarantor has also signed a counterpart AST document?
          Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Guarantor agreements
            by AndrewDod
            I suppose the real questions is not "what tricks do I need to try to get around these potential massive risks"
            but rather
            a) "how much extra premium should I charge on rents to offset these massive risks" - 10%, 50% ?
            and
            b) What criteria does a potential...
            18-09-2020, 13:33 PM
          • Guarantor agreements
            by CHARLIEMAN
            Hi all,

I am asking a prospective tenant to provide a guarantor and was wondering how the deed should be dated with regards to the term of the tenancy. The tenancy will be a 6 month assured shorthold agreement but I would want the guarantor to continue to act for the duration of the periodic...
            16-09-2020, 14:22 PM
          • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
            by flyingfreehold
            they tend to favour the tenant
            18-09-2020, 13:26 PM
          • Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
            by Maymiss
            I am moving out of my rented home shortly, i have caused some damage which I notified the landlord of when it happened and they have recently visited to discuss the cost of repairs, which we have agreed. The landlord is now asking that I pay this money to them directly. It is not possible for the work...
            03-08-2020, 11:47 AM
          • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
            by Maymiss
            I am sad to say that after paying a lump sum to my landlord, they are now claiming the full amount of my deposit also. My deposit is held with DPS and I understand they are generally fair in their dealings, but after reading reviews online it appears they do not always review disputes thoroughly and...
            18-09-2020, 13:21 PM
          • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
            by ChrisDennison
            Of course not because a s21 notice is a private notice so nobody will know how many are issued in the country each day, and this would only change if all s21 notices would need to be centrally lodged (I can’t see that happen and can’t see a good reason for it either).

18-09-2020, 13:07 PM
          • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
            by fmST1
            When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
            I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
            11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
          • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
            by jpkeates
            The characteristics of the people you wish to home would be obvious red flags to most PRS landlords.
            I don't think you would be able to persuade me to risk the value of my property when the option to remove a problem tenant is, essentially, unavailable.

I have only thought about this...
            18-09-2020, 13:02 PM
          • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
            by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
            Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
            18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
          • Reply to Guarantor agreements
            by ChrisDennison
            I thought the whole point is that you don’t need to go to court to remove non-tenants? You simply get some burly friends and perform re-entry yourself?
            18-09-2020, 13:00 PM
          Working...
          X